January 19, 2009

"He would lie till evening in the greyish, verminous sheets, smoking and reading old newspapers. Sometimes we played chess."

"We had no board, but we wrote down the moves on a piece of paper, and afterwards we made a board from the side of a packing-case, and a set of men from buttons, Belgian coins and the like. Boris, like many Russians, had a passion for chess. It was a saying of his that the rules of chess are the same as the rules of love and war, and that if you can win at one you can win at the others. But he also said that if you have a chessboard you do not mind being hungry, which was certainly not true in my case."

I'm reading George Orwell's "Down and Out in Paris and London."

7 comments:

blake said...

"Gonna need a bit more than dew. And universe juice."
-- Kung Fu Panda

"In the game of chess you can never let your opponent see your pieces"
-- Zapp Brannigan, Futurama

"If we can hit this bullseye, all the dominos will fall like a house of cards…checkmate!"
-- Zapp Brannigan, Futurama

"Let the Wookie win."
-- C3PO, Star Wars

(Eh. It's late. I'm only up for posting other peoples' words.)

NotWhoIUsedtoBe said...

I like how this comes after a post about Hitchens. I think Hitchens is Orwell, somehow reborn.

themightypuck said...

Waking up a bit too early I clicked on the PG link and pretty much plowed through Paris. It's been so long since I've read Orwell. It was quite entertaining. I like the comparison to Hitchens, but I think it flatters the living writer.

John Kindley said...

But if you have cigarettes you do not mind being hungry.

Anonymous said...

A wonderful book. Anyone who writes descriptions or narratives should spend some time with Orwell in Paris.

Thanks for reminding me of it. And thanks for the link, which also reminds me it's online.

The comparison with Hitchens? Eh, not so much.

Ann Althouse said...

May I recomment the iPhone app Stanza? You can download this book (and others) directly, and the interface for reading is excellent... much better than the cursed Kindle.

David said...

Oh darn--I thought we had finally found someone who knew Obama at Columbia.