Today I went to the PM general session of the Nebraska State Bar Association annual meeting.
The top award was given to Kermit A. Brashear, II. I was a law clerk for his firm in law school.
Kermit was all energy and action. A commanding presence. He was a state senator where he was Speaker of the Unicameral and chairman of the judiciary committee, He did lots of good for the bench and bar.
He was too ill to attend today, but I spoke to his two sons. It was a good thing Kermit wasn’t there today.
The NSBA Diversity Award was given to an openly gay attorney. Well, I was okay with that but I couldn’t figure out why he was wearing a backpack to the awards ceremony.
But as I looked closer, I realized he wasn’t wearing a backpack. He was wearing an elaborate brown leather strap harness thing around his shoulders. I Googled it and learned it was a fashion accessory. It is used to accentuate the chest and shoulders.
Wearing that fashion accessory was totally inappropriate under the circumstances. Glad Kermit didn’t see that. And for me, I’m probably a bad person for having such an opinion. At least he was wearing a necktie!
France is falling, Merz is on his way out, Carney is watching Canada fall apart, Bolsanaro is going to win in brazil, China is buying oil with dollars.
There is record investment in US manufacturing. Stock market record highs. Average Rents are falling. Home prices are falling.
Cost of living for the working class is falling and wages are going up.
The walls are closing in on Trump for sure this time.
An excellent Italian movie out of the 60's is the cinema verite The Battle of Algiers, about the conflict and urban warfare between French forces and the terrorist offensive by Free Algeria guerrillas during the War for Algerian Independence.
I see that President Trump approved the execution of mass murderer Nidal Hassan. He killed 13 unarmed soldiers in November 2009. He has lived 17 years too long.
WSJ via CFP “A former C.I.A. officer who authorities say stashed hundreds of gold bars in his home admitted in court on Tuesday to a far larger web of deception, including a $145 million scam involving luxury real estate and providing sensitive intelligence to a foreign government official.” “In October 2025, Mr. Rush used his “position of trust” as a senior C.I.A. officer to create a fake secret government program to purchase roughly $145 million worth of “luxury real estate in South Florida,” Mr. Hakala said.”
Also via CFP I know she’s drunk but still - she misses a utility box, 2 trees, and a concrete barrier doing donuts in reverse. And she’s 68. Kind of awesome. https://youtube.com/shorts/0FxaJiMq5Es?is=OXO65Z02cjI0d0xt
Visegrád 24 @visegrad24 The town hall of the 11th arrondissement of Paris was vandalized by high school rioters today. They painted slogans on the walls:
Adriezy @Adriezy1 · 14h They are just so concerned with French schooling conditions that they are writing African and Middle Eastern propaganda slogans.
Socialists chant “from the river to the sea” at Cornell, right before AOC comes out and calls the university a rape culture. She’s smiling and happy on ABC for her TV interview. “Woke 1 was crazy!” But when she’s out on the street, she’s trying to start a riot.
"I personally believe Israel killed far too many civilians, including dozens of my own family members. Israeli air strikes destroyed both of my childhood homes. I will never not be angry or upset about this.
But I will also forever be furious at the fact that Gaza would still be standing had Hamas simply kept its terrorists at home on October 7. I will forever be rageful at the fact that Hamas not only weaponized every aspect of Gaza’s infrastructure but also held Israeli hostages in a manner that was inevitably going to invite more devastation and suffering for Palestinian civilians. I will forever be resentful of the useful idiots who ignored Hamas’s sadistic tactics, hiding behind vacuous appeals to “international law” despite there being no legal framework to justify a terrorist group entrenching itself in medical facilities, educational spaces, markets, and areas meant to shelter the displaced."
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Encourage Althouse by making a donation:
Make a 1-time donation or set up a monthly donation of any amount you choose:
21 comments:
It’s my bedtime but I’m staying up for the Brewers. Starting late… it’s the west coast.
In case you missed it, the U.S. stock market hit an all time high today.
Congratulations to Francis Halzen, UW-Madison faculty and Nobel Prize winner in physics as PI of the IceCube Neutrino Observatory.
"In case you missed it, the U.S. stock market hit an all time high today."
NYT tomorrow: "Women and Minorities Hardest Hit"
Flying United comes with a big risk now. Shame on United.
Chuck Schumer's favorite
Today I went to the PM general session of the Nebraska State Bar Association annual meeting.
The top award was given to Kermit A. Brashear, II. I was a law clerk for his firm in law school.
Kermit was all energy and action. A commanding presence. He was a state senator where he was Speaker of the Unicameral and chairman of the judiciary committee, He did lots of good for the bench and bar.
He was too ill to attend today, but I spoke to his two sons. It was a good thing Kermit wasn’t there today.
The NSBA Diversity Award was given to an openly gay attorney. Well, I was okay with that but I couldn’t figure out why he was wearing a backpack to the awards ceremony.
But as I looked closer, I realized he wasn’t wearing a backpack. He was wearing an elaborate brown leather strap harness thing around his shoulders. I Googled it and learned it was a fashion accessory. It is used to accentuate the chest and shoulders.
Wearing that fashion accessory was totally inappropriate under the circumstances. Glad Kermit didn’t see that. And for me, I’m probably a bad person for having such an opinion. At least he was wearing a necktie!
This is similar to yesterdays.
A Padre napping in left? Game tied a 2.
I'm listening to the MLB App radio broadcast.
France is falling, Merz is on his way out, Carney is watching Canada fall apart, Bolsanaro is going to win in brazil, China is buying oil with dollars.
There is record investment in US manufacturing. Stock market record highs. Average Rents are falling. Home prices are falling.
Cost of living for the working class is falling and wages are going up.
The walls are closing in on Trump for sure this time.
An excellent Italian movie out of the 60's is the cinema verite The Battle of Algiers, about the conflict and urban warfare between French forces and the terrorist offensive by Free Algeria guerrillas during the War for Algerian Independence.
I see that President Trump approved the execution of mass murderer Nidal Hassan. He killed 13 unarmed soldiers in November 2009. He has lived 17 years too long.
WSJ via CFP
“A former C.I.A. officer who authorities say stashed hundreds of gold bars in his home admitted in court on Tuesday to a far larger web of deception, including a $145 million scam involving luxury real estate and providing sensitive intelligence to a foreign government official.”
“In October 2025, Mr. Rush used his “position of trust” as a senior C.I.A. officer to create a fake secret government program to purchase roughly $145 million worth of “luxury real estate in South Florida,” Mr. Hakala said.”
Also via CFP
I know she’s drunk but still - she misses a utility box, 2 trees, and a concrete barrier doing donuts in reverse. And she’s 68. Kind of awesome.
https://youtube.com/shorts/0FxaJiMq5Es?is=OXO65Z02cjI0d0xt
Visegrád 24
@visegrad24
The town hall of the 11th arrondissement of Paris was vandalized by high school rioters today. They painted slogans on the walls:
- “Free Congo”
- “Free Palestine”
- “Oct. 7th - The Al-Aqsa Flood”
Adriezy
@Adriezy1
·
14h
They are just so concerned with French schooling conditions that they are writing African and Middle Eastern propaganda slogans.
https://x.com/Adriezy1/status/2107510249041055751?s=20
Kamel Amin Thaabet
@K_AminThaabet
“From the river to the sea” isn’t so fun when it’s the Seine to the Mediterranean, huh?
https://x.com/K_AminThaabet/status/2107542994874487012?s=20
Eva, Thanks for that link.
I used to do doughnuts in our cul-de-sac when I was 16. That was fun.
It never even occurred to me to try to do them backwards. Obviously I need more 68 year old drunk ladies in my life.
My own experience is that doughnuts are so fun when you are the driver, and so terrifying when anybody else is the driver.
Michael at 10:28. Agreed! Outstanding movie in documentary style. Amazing black and white cinematography. A+
Paris riots are awful.
Socialists chant “from the river to the sea” at Cornell, right before AOC comes out and calls the university a rape culture. She’s smiling and happy on ABC for her TV interview. “Woke 1 was crazy!” But when she’s out on the street, she’s trying to start a riot.
One of the Cornell 7 claims he was raped.
I'm not surprised at all by this.
The Most Disastrous Day in Palestinian History
"I personally believe Israel killed far too many civilians, including dozens of my own family members. Israeli air strikes destroyed both of my childhood homes. I will never not be angry or upset about this.
But I will also forever be furious at the fact that Gaza would still be standing had Hamas simply kept its terrorists at home on October 7. I will forever be rageful at the fact that Hamas not only weaponized every aspect of Gaza’s infrastructure but also held Israeli hostages in a manner that was inevitably going to invite more devastation and suffering for Palestinian civilians. I will forever be resentful of the useful idiots who ignored Hamas’s sadistic tactics, hiding behind vacuous appeals to “international law” despite there being no legal framework to justify a terrorist group entrenching itself in medical facilities, educational spaces, markets, and areas meant to shelter the displaced."
Post a Comment
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.