September 2, 2024

"I used to seek remarkable sites, events and people. Now I notice more supposedly unremarkable moments..."

"... which as it turns out are why we are here.... Dew, stars, Neal’s apricot tea roses — variations on a theme of sparkle.... On any unremarkable day, there will be a number of what Neal and I call Alzheimer-y moments, more and more — some funny, some scary.... The fear of missing out has lessened greatly. In its place, we have the fear of being pressured into gatherings we don’t want to go to. Luckily, at 65, along with your Social Security check, you earn the courage to beg off: 'It sounds lovely, but I have other plans,' those plans being to stay in, eat popcorn and settle into the current TV binge. Saying no to things that deplete or bore us becomes an essential skill. To me, nothing is more wonderful than to crawl between the sheets again, with a book and the cat, and to say our prayer: 'Oh, well.'..."


It was nice to run across that right after seeing these 2 articles: 1. "Popular tourist spot is 'total chaos' with cars stuck in 4-hour traffic jam: 'Horrific experience'" (NY Post)("The people who work in the Fairy Pools car park have said visitors say it’s like a warzone driving there"), and 2. "Was This the Summer European Tourism Reached a Breaking Point?/Overwhelmed destinations made high-season visitors the targets of a major tourism backlash" (NYT)("Protesters staging hunger strikes against tourism developments. Local officials threatening to cut off water to illegal vacation rentals. Residents spraying tourists with water pistols").

15 comments:

rehajm said...

Very good. No is a powerful word, yes?…and yes, the significant events pale to the supposedly insignificant ones. Me I’m appreciating the hummingbirds for a few more days, and the flowers in the yard they buzz about in. Soon they both will be gone.

rhhardin said...

I don't do the little things. The drill for every day is the same though. Evidently I have it where I like it.

Two more Sarah Kofman books arrived from Amazon, still not the one that has in the index "How Women do Philosophy" which I have high hopes for.

Vicki Hearne does it by intuiting and following the male interest and then adding small corrections when a mistake has been made about something.

I think that will not be Kofman's take though.

YoungHegelian said...

The people who work in the Fairy Pools car park have said visitors say it’s like a warzone driving there")

Soon it'll reach the mystical tipping point of Yogi Berra's "No one goes there any more. It's too crowded!".

Anne Lamott's present husband (Neal A.) was a year ahead of me SJC in Santa Fe in the early 70's. Next time he (now a published author himself) is in town on a tour with Anne Lamott or by himself I really need to go up to him and bring up old times.

robother said...

Except for the TV binge. So much of my path opened with quitting TV sports. Then news (Fox for news, MSNBC for the hate jolt). Finally, even movies and TV series--although I would argue that I didn't leave movies, they left me. The ordinary world is there in all its beauty, boredom and brute stubbornness--we only have to give up the belief that Coke (or its endless substitutes)is the Real thing.

Ampersand said...

Spending time on the east coast in Maine, where Labor Day is a point of demarcation. Noticing some Golden Oyster mushrooms and Brown Trumpet chantarelles on my walk. Make the most of every day.
Tourism is hard.

robother said...

This week we noticed the two hummingbirds in our back yard are driving the chickadees away, and then fighting over the territory themselves. Hadn't noticed that behavior before.

Michael K said...

I spend my time reading and thinking about books I have read

Michael K said...

I spend my time reading and thinking about books I have read

traditionalguy said...

Bingo. This is why the mega rich all support Bill Gates great kill off to reduce world population to half a billion. They want the earth empty of peasants like us.

Dave said...

This seems related to saying no and nothing is a high standard.

Political Junkie said...

I am 54. I strongly relate to the the quoted article.

Eric the Fruit Bat said...

Simple pleasures are the best. LINK.

rehajm said...

…the little bastards buzz my tower when I go out to change the juice in the feeders. Veryvery aggressive at protecting the food source they are…

Ann Althouse said...

"Simple pleasures are the best. LINK."

LOL

MadisonMan said...

Take away the car park for the Fairy Pools and the problem goes away. Then only the day hikers (eating Van Camps Pork and Beans) will visit. Of course, then you lose money. But Van Camps won't.