March 3, 2023

"For our £120, we got 45 minutes of brightly coloured splats [David] Hockney has done on his iPad..."

"... blasted around the four walls while the old ham belted out his... platitudes in quadraphonic stereo all around us ('I love life,' 'the world is beautiful when you look, but most people don’t'). There were all the old banalities about the 'quality of the light' in Los Angeles, lots of film of him 'being inspired' while driving round the California mountains in a convertible while listening to Wagner (even duller than your best mate’s hourly Instagram posts from holiday) and then endless minutes of his opera sets, complete with cringey faux-naif animations that reminded me of when it said 'cartoon' in the TV schedule in the late 1970s and you switched on hoping for Tom and Jerry but got some depressing shadow puppet thing from 1950s Czechoslovakia.... [W]e were laughing so much we had to leave, through a shop in the foyer where they had attempted to find interesting things he has said over the years to put on their brightly coloured 'quote totes' (£20 a pop, if you please) but clearly couldn’t find anything better than 'If you’re not playful, you’re not alive,' 'I’m greedy for an exciting life,' and, from the militant old smoker, 'Health is wealth'...."

Writes Giles Coren in "Don’t splash out on Hockney’s splats and platitudes" (London Times).

The ellipsis before "platitudes" in that first sentence originally contained the phrase "sub-Alan Bennett," which was a stumbling block for me. Either I think, he's somebody known for belting out platitudes and move on, or I look up "Alan Bennett" in Wikipedia, which is what I did, and that got me nowhere... other than into the dead end of gazing at that 1973 photo and wondering who he looked like a combination of Robert Redford and.

Such are the hazards of reading comic columns in the London Times, which I actually subscribe to. But I removed the stumbling block for you, then felt a little bad to have interfered with Coren's rhythm and even fretted that some reader of mine might find "sub-Alan Bennett" especially funny. Let me know in the comments if you did. That's the kind of insight I seek, though I wouldn't pay £120 to have projections of it washed over me for 45 minutes.

The world is beautiful when you look, but most people don’t... but the show assumes we need a roomful of giant colors streaming at us from all directions. Good luck getting better at taking notice of the subtle beauty of the world after that. Or maybe you'll emerge as one of the cognoscenti, aware of the beauty of the world that is the notion that you are not in the disdained category, "most people."

12 comments:

mezzrow said...

I would find "sub-Adam Curtis" funny. We are in the same place regarding Alan Bennett if that place is "who?". I guess it's a sign of the Times.

Sean Gleeson said...

I am going to agree that Hockney is sub-Bennett. Never heard of Alan Bennett, but I found this representative sampling of his bons mots. And by "sampling" I mean there are 241 of them. I'll just quote a couple short ones, for those disinclined to click the link.

"A book is a device to ignite the imagination."

"Sometimes there is no next time, no time-outs, no second chances. Sometimes it’s now or never."

"The transmission of knowledge is in itself an erotic act."

Temujin said...

Don't know if this helps at all. Apparently Alan Bennett worked with Dudley Moore and Peter Cook and...Alan Bennett, Beyond the Fringe

Rocco said...

"For our £120, we got 45 minutes of brightly coloured splats [David] Hockney has done on his iPad... blasted around the four walls while the old ham belted out his... platitudes in quadraphonic stereo all around us."

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Ficta said...

I'm not sure why "sub-Alan Bennett" would be funny, since Alan Bennett is one of the very few contemporary playwrights whose work I automatically go see when it's available. I don't think of him as platitudinous. Maybe he's on the BBC all the time dispensing "wisdom" these days. I thought "The Uncommon Reader" was charming and funny; it's a short read; I highly recommend it. Bed Among the Lentils is one of the best short films I've ever seen.

Narr said...

A Yank who knows who Hockney is probably knows who Bennett is, and would appreciate the joke for the Britchiness of it all.

Ann Althouse said...

The last thing I want to be is unfair to Alan Bennett!

Michael K said...

I don't like Hockney's painting but they sell for close to a $ million in west LA. My daughter worked in a gallery in Venice CA. A woman came in and wrote a check for $850,000 for one of his paintings.

Rocketeer said...

“Sub-Tony Bennett platitudes” would strike her as funny

Narr said...

"Brightly Coloured Splats" would be a good name for a band.

(Spellcheck no like the u in coloured.)

Rusty said...

Narr said...
"Brightly Coloured Splats" would be a good name for a band."
Or a serious colon condition.
Jeremy Clarksons third farming season is going to be released soon.

Joe Smith said...

Hackney?