August 1, 2021

"I am more than willing to go to jail if they want to put me in jail. And if they do, they’re going to suffer the consequences in heaven. I’m not, I didn’t do anything wrong."

Said Rudy Giuliani, quoted in "Rudy Giuliani Says He’s ‘More Than Willing To Go To Jail’ But Did Nothing Wrong in Amazing Interview with NBC New York" by Caleb Howe at Mediaite. 

Giuliani's interviewer, NBC's Melissa Russo, follows up, asking, "Why are you willing to go to jail if you feel that you’re innocent?" 

His answer "Because they lie and they cheat" doesn't really answer the question, but it ought to prod us toward an answer. The Mediaite writer doesn't seem to have a clue or is choosing to act as though he hasn't a clue, but I think Giuliani — who'd just mentioned "consequences in heaven" — is playing the role of the martyr, unjustly persecuted, bowing to the impositions of worldly government, and deeply believing that his reward is in Heaven. 

Whether this is self-serving rhetoric or sincere religion is another matter. I wrote the preceding sentence after reading the text and realized I need to watch the video. Hang on a sec. No. I don't know. But I will confess to editing that "self-serving rhetoric." Before I watched the video, I'd written "self-serving bullshit." Be clear: I never called it bullshit. I just viewed it as an alternative to sincere religion. But after watching the video, I toned down the alternative. Here's what I thought: He's accused of a crime, and if he's going to speak on camera, he's got to defend himself staunchly. That's not bullshit.

Here's the Bible verse Giuliani's willingness to go to jail reminded me of, Matthew 5:10-12:

Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Be glad to be persecuted.

1 comment:

Ann Althouse said...

Bob Boyd writes:

"Russo tells us, "Former mayor Rudy Giuliani seems fixated on declaring his innocence" as though that is somehow abnormal, even irrational behavior. The implication of couching it in psychoanalytic terms is that poor Rudy is not doing well in the face of all this. That he is not entirely in touch with reality as represented by the accusations against him. That the audience shouldn't take what he says seriously because he's a little unbalanced these days.

"Who wouldn't be taking every opportunity to declare their innocence? What's he supposed to say? "Well, there's two sides to every story. I could've done some things differently, I guess, but gosh...they're comin' down awfully hard on me, don't you think? I meant well...""