July 5, 2021

"I love the idea that, with a trailer park, you’re in a kind of community. At my age, if I fall down in the middle of the street, I want someone to go, 'Hey! What’s that girl doing in the middle of the street?'"

Said Betsey Johnson, who is 78, and don't you want to do 78 — when and if you are ever 78 — with equivalent élan?

Quoted in "Inside Betsey Johnson’s Malibu Dream House/The designer gives T a tour of her pretty but punk home in one of California’s most scenic trailer parks" (NYT). 

"I realized, 'I’ve got to create a new house for myself.' And I decided that it was going to be a dollhouse.” Feast your eyes on the punk dollhouse:

6 comments:

Ann Althouse said...

Temujin writes:

"First of all, Betsey is amazing. I've never heard of her before, but apparently she's had a lifetime of being a fashion thing. I love people with that spark for life. I want what she does daily. It may be her genes, but there's got to be something else she does to have such an energetic embrace of life at 78. Still doing the splits- I see yoga in her life, either past or current. She's 'in character' all the time.

"And, this keeps in line with my earlier remark about the Times being more like a modernized, remade version of the National Enquirer."

Ann Althouse said...

Lloyd writes:

"This is pretty great, but I had to google her. This is a great example of how I find things on your blog that I would never come across on my own. More your world than mine, but it's delightful to get a glimpse."

Ann Althouse said...

I bought Betsey Johnson clothes in the 1960s!

She has indeed been around for a long time.

What style! What joy!

Ann Althouse said...

Wilbur writes:

Whoa-oh we like to roam
With a ramblin' fever down in our bones
We're always home but we're always gone
Living in a mobile home

Riders in the Sky

Ann Althouse said...

Leora writes:

"That is likely to be a $4 million dollar mobile home. https://www.zillow.com/paradise-cove-mobile-home-park-malibu-ca/

"I think mobile homes are much overlooked as affordable housing but Malibu trailer parks are different."

Ann Althouse said...

As they say: Location, location, location.