July 22, 2021

"Giant Balloon Face Floats Over Tokyo/The eerie aerial piece was created by the artist collective 目 ("Mé") and features an anonymous face chosen from over 1,000 submissions...."

"The work has been met with a mixed reception, ranging from humor to more subversive interpretations. Some have likened Mé’s piece to The Hanging Balloons, a story by the Japanese horror mangaka Junji Ito in which floating heads with metal nooses set out to kill their human doppelgangers."

Hypoallergenic reports.

2 comments:

Ann Althouse said...

Wince writes:

"That Floating Head, especially the tinted monochromatic coloring of a vintage photo, reminds me of a Terry Gilliam animation from Monty Python.

"The next Floating Head should be a hedgehog -- not a fox -- repeating "Dinsdale!""

https://getyarn.io/yarn-story/e9837de6-5e35-46cf-b78b-52b49fde0173

I'll add:

Ha ha. I remember that. You're also causing me to think of that Woody Allen movie segment "Oedipus Wrecks" in which the Woody Allen character's mother looms in the sky over Manhattan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZklxQ4PP7Y8

Ann Althouse said...

Temujin, writing independently from Wince, says:

"It looks very 'Monty Pythonish', like something from Terry Gilliam. As such, I would find it both funny and eerie to see floating faces and heads above me. Had I read "The Hanging Balloons" I might have had other thoughts."