May 2, 2021

Management move.

ADDED: Madtownguy writes: 

I followed a rabbit trail from the post on Basecamp by way of Scott Adams' tweet. Aside from the NYT article, I found this on Medium. The "Pyramid of Hate" is an infographic promoted by the Anti-Defamation League to show how microaggressions can build a foundation for genocide.

I see some similarities between that diagram and one promoted last year on social media about so-called 'critical thinking.' There's a write-up of materials, including that infographic, here. There used to be a link to the actual document but it's not apparent in my searches, so it may have served its purpose and been memory holed. What struck me about the document is that the first question it asked was "Who does it benefit?" Knowing it was shared by a relative who is strongly partisan, I wondered if the point was to automatically exclude any information that would help the user's political opponents.

Then I found an article that promoted the intersectionality of critical thinking and critical theory. From the article:
"States call for critical thinking embedded within the curriculum, but to what extent does that encompass critical theory elements? Can you integrate critical theory into school curricula without embedding critical thinking? I think not. Critical theory conceptualizations forces one to look outside one’s paradigm and question societal norms and look beyond the veil that has been drawn to see the reality of injustice amongst many that live in our communities, societies, and the world."
I'm amazed that the writer is so willing to question societal norms but apparently unwilling to question her own biases. That's why I see this type of infographic as a tool for propaganda.