March 26, 2021

"Internet turns on Jensen Karp, ‘manipulative’ shrimp tail cereal man."

NY Post headline.

I don't have a tag for "crustaceans." I have "lobster" and "crabs," but I don't have "shrimp." That boxes me in tag-wise. It's not as though I haven't written about shrimp before

There's this, in 2018: 

I wanted to give this post a "crustaceans" tag, but I didn't want to create a new tag. So I started typing out the word in the place where I add my tags, and by the time I got to "crus-," there was only one tag the software was suggesting, and it wasn't "crustaceans," so that's it for the potential "crustaceans" tag. I'm not creating a new tag, because I don't want to bother with adding it retroactively, searching for crustaceans in the 14-year archive. Sometimes I do create new tags and do that work. For example, I did it yesterday with Kathleen Turner. But that was a matter of doing a search for "Kathleen Turner." "Crustaceans" would not be so easy. I'd have to look up which animals are crustaceans and search for them individually. And I already have separate tags for some of them — lobsters (with 41 posts!) and crabs (with 17 posts!). But I don't have a "shrimp" tag. And I've mentioned shimp quite a few times. Should I now create a "shrimp" tag and a "crawfish" tag? But today's post is only the second mention of crawfish in the history of the blog. The first was "Barack spent so much time by himself that it was like he was raised by wolves" (from 2010)....

So it's a recurring problem!

25 comments:

traditionalguy said...

“Arthropods” should do the job.

traditionalguy said...

Then you can start an Arthro’s Podcast.

stevew said...

That is one hell of a silly story - at the NY Post, that is. How did I miss this? /sarc

rcocean said...

Shrimp are good. they've gone way down in price. Guess its China or SE farmed shrimp.

Yancey Ward said...

The guy sounds like a bottom feeder.

BarrySanders20 said...

Just put in under Bloomberg.

Is there a Tags tag? Where on the blog can we find the list of tags?

Bob Boyd said...

Crabs n shit.

BarrySanders20 said...

Cereal the tag leads me to Eddie Murphy's Cereal Names

PM said...

Not a day goes by I don't appreciate my flip phone.
Or those who keep me apprised of the nutiness I'm missing.

Ice Nine said...

Really? An internet vs shrimp guy of some sort story?! I didn't think it possible but you've got me begging for another crappy NYT article.

Joe Smith said...

"I have "lobster" and "crabs,"

Does Meade know about the crabs part?

Yancey Ward said...

Joe is now going to get manscaping ads everywhere he goes.

Joe Smith said...

Btw, the NYP article is one of the most poorly-written things I've read in some time.

Ann Althouse said...

"“Arthropods” should do the job."

I already have a lot of specific tags within that category. I have to stick with that level of generality.

Kylos said...

I’m curious about the other tag starting with “crus”. Crusade, crushingly, crusty?

Quaestor said...

Hey! The name is Jensen Karp, which is just carp badly spelled.

Althouse should use be using a vertebrate tag.

Come on, Ann, put some backbone into it.

Kylos said...

Crushingly is is a favorite word of Althouse, but doesn’t seem tag-worthy.

MadTownGuy said...

Is he an Asian Karp? Because Asian Karps matter.

Ken B said...

Twitter is a hate machine.

Increasingly, so is America.

Ann Althouse said...

Yeah, lots of people have been talking for 2 days about the name being Karp. There's also a girlfriend in the picture with the name Fishel (or something). That's why I didn't mention it. Too much talk already, including at the link. I'm late to this story.

h said...

As an old "get off my lawn" kind of guy, I want to point out that articles like this are almost impossible to understand because of all the short hand, meme-talk, and general lack of ability to express ideas and arguments clearly. I don't know if the man in question actually found shrimp in his cereal or not. I don't know if he was mean to girlfriends or is being treated meanly by ex-girlfriends. I have absolutely no idea why "milk shake ducks" are "milk shake ducks."

Smerdyakov said...

What does a shrimp have in common with a Chinaman run over by a bus? They are both crustaceans.

Bunkypotatohead said...

Not all 15 minutes of fame are positive.

Howard said...

Glad Topanga is standing by her man.

Ryan said...

How about doing an art project on the blog where you pick a topic that is very common, maybe even necessary, and never mention it.

Like the guy who wrote an entire book without using the letter 'e.'

Too late for shrimp...