November 1, 2020

"In Japan, the #地味ハロウィン (translation: #MundaneHalloween) tradition has people coming up with very clever costumes of all-too-familiar situations and people."

"Artist @TAGASAING translated some of this year's examples" (Twitter). 
“person who refused a bag but their item ended up not fitting in their purse,” “a store mannequin children played with,” “PE teacher who usually wears jerseys wearing a suit in the graduation ceremony,” “an uncle’s facebook selfie,” “Person who is quietly despairing over the lack of seats with power outlets in a cafe they popped into,” “someone at the entrance of a thrift store, but you don’t know if they’re a customer or a staff”....

12 comments:

BudBrown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ty said...

These are great! The Google street view person with the blurred face made me laugh out loud.

Next year I'm going as "person trying to read sentimental birthday card with cash in it" or お金のカードを読む

MayBee said...

I love this so much.

Wilbur said...

When Wilbur was younger and went to Halloween parties, when asked what his costume would be I always replied "I'm going as a cold air duct".

The reactions were priceless.

richlb said...

This was delightful and made me chuckle. The guy with the charger that is too short hits a little close to home.

Ann Althouse said...

Now I know what those high schoolers who came to the door for candy should have said:

ME: No costume?

TEENAGER: Don't you get it?

ME: No.

TEENAGER: I decided to go as the high school student who is thinking that it isn't cool to wear a costume and wonders if that makes it wrong to ask for candy.

ME: Best costume of the day!

Ingachuck'stoothlessARM said...

yeah...no.
Tried that at a high school h'ween party, and let's just say it wasnt a hit.

Combining creativity/horror and whimsy is a winning combo, Like this!

Joe Smith said...

Finally a use for my Japanese classes : )

The first Halloween I spent in Tokyo, there was a lot of drinking and a lot of naughty nurse costumes.

It was good.

BonnieBikerChic said...

In 2009, the year of the swine flu, my eight year old son when asked what he was would reply “I’m a by who forgot to wash his hands after going to the bathroom.” People were scared!

Leora said...

The Japanese are a subtle people.

mikee said...

Between the cliffs of Cultural Appropriation and Political Correctness lies the knife edge of Mundane Costumes. I, myself, wear every day the costume of fat old white man breaking his diet.

Freeman Hunt said...

I like this. I would like Halloween more if this were popular here.