October 12, 2024

"I decided to record my feelings right away, because all year I had been training for situations like today, developing what I call my 'prison Zen.'"

"Whatever way you look at it, nine years, especially in 'strict' conditions, is an extremely long sentence. In Russia, the average punishment for murder is seven years. A prisoner sentenced to an extra term of nine years is going to be upset, to say the least. When I got back to the prison, everyone—who of course already knew about the sentence—furtively gave me a particular kind of look. How was I taking it? What was the expression on my face? It is, after all, intriguing to see someone’s reaction when they have just been told they will be serving the longest sentence of anyone in the entire prison complex. And that they are going to be sent somewhere especially grim and usually reserved for murderers. Nobody is going to come over and ask how I feel, but everyone is curious to see how this plays out. It’s an occasion when a person might hang themselves or slash their wrists. But I am completely fine. Even 'my' jailer said in the course of a really annoying full strip search, 'You don’t look to me to be all that upset.' I am really O.K. I am writing this not because I am willing myself to keep up a pretense of being carefree and blasé but because my prison Zen has kicked in...."

From "Alexei Navalny’s Prison Diaries/The Russian opposition leader’s account of his last years and his admonition to his country and the world" (The New Yorker).

17 comments:

Kirk Parker said...

Reminds me of the Soviet era joke that goes:

New prisoner shows up at some isolated outpost of the Gulag. Everyone crowds around and someone asks, "How long are you in for?"

"10 years."

"What for?" someone else asks.

"Nothing!"

Sounds of disapproval all around, and the first questioner says, "You'd better come clean with us -- everybody knows the sentence for 'nothing' is only 5 years!"

(Side note: I probably first heard this at Volokh, but trying to google "everybody knows the sentence for nothing" left the AI search responder in an especially confused state.)

Money Manger said...

I forwarded this to Elon so he could mentally prepare.

Quaestor said...

Except for dying, Navalny's political career parallels that of Donald Trump.

Shouting Thomas said...

The vilification of Russia as especially evil and brutal continues in the U.S., Intel dominated, press. This is Intel propaganda intended to justify CIA covert actions, as in the 2014 coup in Ukraine. Currently, the GOP candidate for president has been subjected to a several years long lawfare persecution run by the DNC/Intel cartel designed to undermine his candidacy, destroy his business and, potentially, imprison him for life.

Shouting Thomas said...

And, I forgot to say, Intel tried to murder that candidate twice.

Howard said...

Stoicism makes the shit sandwich taste good

Howard said...

That blue dress makes you look fat, Q

Political Junkie said...

Bingo

Bob Boyd said...

The same people who lionize Navalny for taking a stand against the government/oligarch regime in Russia are the eager tools of the government/oligarch regime at home.

Quaestor said...

Howard longs for a svelte and sexy Quaestor.

Sorry, Howard. Quaestor is spoken for.

Yancey Ward said...

Navalny should have been glad he didn't walk unapproved through the U.S. Capitol building. He would have been doing even harder time.

Kate said...

Prison Zen would make a great band name.

Aggie said...

I don't have time right now, but this one is worth reading I think - saving it for later. Thanks for the link and story, Ms. Althouse

doctrev said...

Liberals are stupid on a level I can scarcely imagine. Not only does the majority of the country not give a fig for Navalny, a large minority insists that the innocent January 6th protestors be freed. The existence of that injustice makes them receptive, if not eager, to see if the various apparati of Democrat rule can survive similar legal scrutiny.

Of course, when the Founders were dissatisfied with the fixed verdicts of British courts, they simply turned to other means.

n.n said...

Meanwhile, the Democratics in NY criminal case against Trump is not viable and may be aborted by saner persons. Hoisted by their Fani.

n.n said...

Putin saw the transnationalists' writing on the wall and refused the Kievan etc solution. Russia would not be the target of a Clinton, Obama et al ethnic Spring.

n.n said...

Capitol punishment has Democratic support. American Civil Liberties Unburdened