October 3, 2023

"In all four films, the stories’ characters recite Dahl’s texts on camera from beginning to end (with certain modifications) while enacting the events that they describe amid dazzlingly elaborate stagecraft..."

"... that reveals its own artifices and the sort of exquisitely confectionery décor and costumes that are a hallmark of Anderson’s refined art. (Dahl himself comes in as a character, too, played by Ralph Fiennes.) The four stories are, essentially, dramatized audiobooks, something like music videos for literature. The characters deliver their narration into the camera, addressing viewers head on, and then, with deft timing and theatrical precision, turn their heads (or even just shift their eyes) to address one another."

Writes Richard Brody in "Wes Anderson’s Roald Dahl Quartet Abounds in Audacious Artifice and Stinging Political Critique/Four new short films make clear how crucial the author’s work has been in the development of Anderson’s art" (The New Yorker).

I've watched the longest of the 4, "The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar," and recommend it. Of course, I must watch it at least once more. There's far too much going on to fully take in the first time around. And I did not realize I was hearing the entire Dahl text. I need to watch again with the full benefit of that knowledge. 

10 comments:

Ficta said...

I loved all four of them. At first you think, okay, it's an illustrated audiobook, this will be Wes Anderson "lite". But they're really compelling, very inventive, and it certainly looks like a lot of work went into them. Amazing performances from the all star cast as well.

mikee said...

The film version of "Where The Wild Things Are" wasn't bad, either, but I cannot recommend either live version of "The Grinch" or "The Cat in the Hat." YMMV

Rich said...

I loved reading this for the first time when I was 11 or 12 and then tried for weeks to recreate Henry Sugar's secret. We watched this recently, it was absolutely delightful and has been rendered with such care by Wes Andersen. Highly recommend.

rehajm said...

I have it queued up waiting for tax season to be over. Since the Patriots are crap I did manage to watch Asteroid City. Highyl entertaining no matter what shyte the critics spew. Not enough politics for 'em or the worng kind I suppose...

Richard Ayoade is brilliant, btw. Catch his travel show if you're bored...

CJinPA said...

"Stinging Political Critique."

If it's "stinging" that means it supports the progressive cause.

Political Junkie said...

I like Wes, but was extremely disappointed with Asteroid City.

Rafe said...

They may actually be my favorite films that Anderson has ever done, and I’m a fan.

It was exceptionally nice to enjoy these after the plodding, self-indulgent disappointment that Asteroid City turned out to be.

- Rafe

rcocean said...

I'll give them a watch despite Brody liking them. Mr. Brody always amazes me with standard leftoid opinions and jargon filled wretched, vulgar, germanic prose. To steal a line from Gore Vidal he writes like a German communist who learned English as a second language.

Sydney said...

The technique grew tiresome by the time I watched my second story.

Joe Smith said...

Censored Dahl?

Or how the author wrote it?