September 14, 2023

"What 'Beans' says, basically, is that people don't listen at all."

That's Len Chandler, who "never achieved the name recognition of some of those with whom he shared stages and causes" but "did write at least one song with lasting appeal: 'Beans in My Ears,' which the Serendipity Singers turned into a Top 30 hit in 1964."

Aimed at adults but simple and repetitive like a children’s song, it was about people’s tendency not to listen to others. "I think that all grown-ups have beans in their ears," the final verse went, with 'beans in their ears' repeated again and again. Perhaps the song would have climbed higher on the charts had medical professionals in some cities not denounced it. 

“‘Beans in Ears’ Alarms Doctors Who Fear Children Will Try It,” a 1964 headline in The Indianapolis Star read over an article that said WIRE in Indiana had stopped playing the song. That step was taken by other radio stations as well.

From "Len Chandler, an Early Fixture of the Folk Revival, Dies at 88/A singer who performed alongside Bob Dylan, Joan Baez and Pete Seeger, he was known for his topical songs, some of which he wrote in minutes" (NYT).

Listen to the Serendipity Singers hit version here. I had forgotten this song, but it vividly sprang back to life for me.

Goodbye to Len Chandler.

ADDED: The censorship doesn't reflect the idea that people don't listen. Rather there was a — legitimate! — fear that people would listen and do the opposite. Watching Chandler and Seeger smile as they sing, I can't help thinking this is another one of those 60s songs about drugs. To say don't do X is to touch off a desire to do it. Why are they making such a big deal about telling us not to do it? You can say, it's just funny, but why is it funny? 

AND: The Wikipedia article on the song says Pete Seeger recorded a cover version  in which he added lyrics that referred to LBJ: "Mrs. Jay's little son Alby had beans in his ears."

26 comments:

Dave Begley said...

My Dad used to sing that song. And we were told that if we didn’t wash properly, beans would grow in our ears.

Wilbur said...

Top-30 hit? I was 10 years old in 1964 with 3 older sisters. We all constantly listened to WLS top-40 radio.

I've never heard nor heard of this song in my life.

MadTownGuy said...

Fits in with the endless succession of beans and nuts.

mezzrow said...

Thanks for the memory, Althouse.

I have to mention my own favorite Serendipity Singer, who died as a hero and is beloved throughout his native state by all who knew him. We've missed him for over thirty years now, and it still doesn't seem real.

Gamble Rogers Wiki link

He was our troubadour, the finest storyteller I have ever met, as well as one of America's great finger picking guitarists.

rhhardin said...

Barnaby in Crockett Johnson's Barnaby and Mr. O'Malley strip took off with beans in his nose.

Just an old country lawyer said...

My grandfather grew up on a farm in northeast Alabama during the late nineteenth century. One day, giving in to boyish curiosity he shoved beans up his nose. He nor his parents were able to remove them, so his much put upon father hitched up the mule and drove him the several miles into town to the doctor's. The dirt road was so rough that by the time they got to town all the beans had been shaken loose.

TickTock said...

Really into the Beans and Nuts now, hey?

re Pete said...

“Give me a string bean, I’m a hungry man”

lonejustice said...

From the comments section at YouTube:

"Today, this song would have to be released with a warning not to put beans in your ears."

The Crack Emcee said...

This is a new one to me, too

gilbar said...

my mom listened to all that folk crap.. WHAT was the point?
country music, for city people?
blues music, for whities?

What the ONE, Real defining aspect of "folk music"?? It's Leftie Shit
Give ME the Carter Family, or Muddy Waters; ANY DAY over that Manhattan mush

gilbar said...

And YES; my mom had that song.. It SUCKED

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

In AA the saying goes ‘take the cotton out of your ears and put it in your mouth’.

MadTownGuy said...

In SoCal growing up, our parents weren't into rock or teenage pop, so we listened to KMPC, which carried a mix of Fifties ballads, folk music and novelty songs. If "Beans in My Ears" was on and the car had stopped, we pleased with Dad to keep the key on until the song was over.

My other favorite from the Serendipity Singers is "Don't Let the Rain Come Down." That, and the aforementioned beans song, are on our USB drive in the family wagon.

rcocean said...

I listened to about 1 minute, and had to put beans in MY ears.

I can see why he was a one-hit wonder.

Narr said...

Silly lyrics to an ancient air. I don't recall the artist or the song per se, but that sing-songy tune is older than the '60s--maybe even the 1860s.

One hot afternoon in about 1970, my JROTC class sat in the grass and listened to Sgt. Felix Williams, a roly-poly Cajun, lecture us--with a big flip-chart--on hygiene in the field. It was very important to clean your ears. Seeds in the ear could sprout, for one thing.

Then he went on to warn us about Dentistry. D-Y-S-E-N-T-E-R-Y. Dentistry.

cassandra lite said...

I'm with @Wilbur. Born in 1952, I listened to top 30/40 so many hours a day that my room was filled with the booty I won on the call-in contests ("be the 9th caller to...), and I never heard this song on its release, nor in the years after on nostalgia 60s radio, including the Sirius/XM '60s station I listen to sometimes, which comes up with several songs of the era that are utterly new to me.

mikee said...

I recall this song playing at the drive-in theater before the movie "Cleopatra," when I was but a sprout and all six of us kids, plus our parents, went to see it in our blue&white VW minibus. It is an earworm of great power.

Joe Smith said...

This is third-grade level songwriting, as is most folk music of that era.

Raffi's 'The Wheels on the Bus' is Tchaikovsky in comparison...

Ann Althouse said...

"Fits in with the endless succession of beans and nuts"

Yeah, and put that with yesterday's post about Jim Nutt.

Ann Althouse said...

@mezzrow

Thanks for that link.

Influenced Jimmy Buffett, I see.

Ann Althouse said...

"My other favorite from the Serendipity Singers is "Don't Let the Rain Come Down.""

I haven't thought of that song in a long time

Darkisland said...

Beans is a really stupid song for anyone older than 6.

But it is catchy as hell and my inner 6y/o still loves it.

I probably haven't heard it in 50 years. As soon as I saw the title I started hearing the whole song, every verse, playing in my head,

Over
And over
And over
And over...

Thanks for the earworm Ann. You should have put a trigger warning on ot

John Henry

Leora said...

Somehow it seems a response to "Never Say No" from "The Fantasticks". I truly do not remember this song though I had the radio on through all of 6h4 60's.

gpm said...

Like Wilbur (and we're apparently pretty much the same age), I grew up listening to "wonderful WLS" (is the greatest). Can't say I heard this song on WLS, but I was quite familiar with the song and could sing parts of it (e.g., "you can't hear the teacher with beans in your ears") as soon as I saw the title.

--gpm

Darkisland said...

R ocean,

I agree about the song and one hit wonder.

Otoh, the Serendipity Singers lasted about 50 years with various lineups.

Not a bad run for any musical group.

John Henry