June 26, 2023

Apple's new Mindfulness app lets you log in your “momentary emotion” and “daily mood”...

"... compiling a diary of feelings and their causes — perhaps family time makes you happy and time working in front of screens makes you sad — which could be reflected back as insights that might help make things better. [There] was a set of tools for improving users’ 'vision health,' with a focus on myopia.... Using data from device sensors, Apple will instruct users — especially but not exclusively young ones — to go outside, into the natural light, or to move their screens further from their faces....[while also selling you] the Vision Pro, a $3,500 computer that straps directly to your face...."


"[I]t’s the most dystopian product Apple has ever announced — the sort of thing that, if were I recording my emotional state on my iPhone, I might log as 'slightly unpleasant' to contemplate but also 'slightly exciting' to try.... The $3 trillion corporation wants its customers to behave differently without alienating them or becoming too implicated in the problems they want to solve.... In the context of government, the most powerful critique of the nudge is that, while often useful, it tends to cast diverse problems as the result of 'frailties in individual behavior' rather than the 'rules and systems' by and in which people live, precluding the possibility of fundamental change. Similarly, Apple, under the auspices of helping users 'take control' of their experiences, makes it clear that, ultimately, all this phone stuff is our fault. It’s up to us...."

14 comments:

madAsHell said...

One of the most USELESS features on the iPhone is the one that monitors your screen time, and then reports the screen time like an Amber Alert.

I've tried shutting it off, but to no avail.

rhhardin said...

I'd like to know why my iPhone 7 goes into a mode where it silently accepts no calls even though it can make calls. The fix is to go into airplane mode and back out again. So, apparently, it's something wedged, as the British put it. A hardware or software design error. I'm unsure what effect it had on my mood. I'd need a mood ring.

You could automate it with a mood ring adapter.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

Waiting for Apple to make their phone glass breakproof... Definitely Sad.

Kevin said...

HAL: What's wrong Jane? Your period won't begin for another 156 hours.

Kai Akker said...

Apple has really lost its way. But these fears, these worries.... seemingly endless anxieties reflected right back to us in some of the most anxiety-producing TV programming I have ever seen. Yes, I think we are in a major bear market, but does the public really get it already? Anxiety, violence, dystopia, on and on and on. What will the public mood look like when it gets worse? If I could only remember where my desert island was at.... !

Mea Sententia said...

'Fundamental change of rules and systems in which people live' suggests to me massive government intervention and control of 'individual behavior', which is more dystopian than any phone app.

Kate said...

It's not how close the screen is to your face, it's what's on the screen. Flat data -- even an analogue book -- keeps the eyes at one focal length. Going outside is a good suggestion.

However, screens can also show you 3D info with depth and perspective. The focal length constantly changes, and the eye exercises.

mccullough said...

The problem with Nudge is that it’s ubiquitous.

Pick three and only three important things to nudge someone.

Progressives can’t do it. Everything is The Most Important Thing Ever. Constant nudging is as bad as anything the Nanny State does.

Rocco said...

Dear Apple diary,

I have this incessant urge to smash the crap out of my phone because it keeps giving me these annoying nudges and trying to sell me expensive stuff...

Biff said...

rhhardin said..."I'd like to know why my iPhone 7 goes into a mode where it silently accepts no calls even though it can make calls."

I'm not sure why toggling Airplane mode would have an impact, but it sounds like the Focus/Do Not Disturb modes are either being activated by accident (perhaps when opening the Control Center screen) or by schedule. If you haven't poked around your Focus/DND settings, take a look at the following:

* Use Do Not Disturb with Focus on your iPhone or iPad
* Use Focus on your iPhone or iPad

Ann Althouse said...

"... it silently accepts no calls ..."

In settings, under phone, there's a toggle called "silence unknown callers."

I keep that on. Why would you want just anyone who happens to have your number to be able to make your phone ring?

If they have your number, they can text you. They can also email you. If they don't, they are presumptively spam (or worse).

Who just calls nowadays? Even people who know me, whose phone calls I would answer (if I saw their name on the screen), text me first and ask if it's a good time for a call. Isn't that basic etiquette now? Other than in an emergency or in the case of your spouse.

Nice said...

"Why would you want just anyone who happens to have your number to be able to make your phone ring?"

I want to know whose got my number. I want to know what people who've got my number--are doing with that number, and when they're doing it.

A lot of people, have got my number, evidently. But at the very least, I've got theirs.

We are all watching each other, watch each other.

The Crack Emcee said...

I never forget Steve Jobs killed himself

PM said...

I never look at my phone until I flip it open to answer or call.
I'm too addictive to own a 24-hour pocket computer.