April 8, 2023

"There was no physical attraction at first. I didn’t even think to be nice to him. I was at another gig and John passed by my table and said, 'Drop dead.'"

Said Nina Foster, in 2004, quoted in "Nora Forster, 80, Who Married (and Stayed Married to) a Sex Pistol, Dies/A German publishing heiress and music promoter, she settled in London in time for the 1970s punk-rock explosion and became the muse to its baddest boy" (NYT).

Despite the mutual hostility, Mr. Lydon was intrigued. “Her nose went 10 feet in the air in her ’40s film star outfit,” he said in the same Sunday Mail interview. “Long blond hair, padded shoulders — that entire femme fatale look, which I was a complete ham for.” 

Eventually she softened. “I fell in love with John because he surprised me,” she said. “He had a sweet attitude. He was more innocent and not like the rest of the group.”... 

“One day he came up and asked why I had never invited him to my house,” she later said of Mr. Lydon. “I replied, ‘People told me you would destroy everything.’”

ADDED:

7 comments:

Limited blogger said...

Never saw the Sex Pistols, they came through in a whirlwind so didn't catch up in time.

Saw Public Image Limited half a dozen times. John was a tremendous front man.

The age difference with his wife never sunk in. It seems they had a wonderful life together.

wild chicken said...

Surprise lovers are the best.

Wince said...

The depth of dedication to family demonstrated by Lydon is not a surprise if you read his autobiography.

Greg the Class Traitor said...

“One day he came up and asked why I had never invited him to my house,” she later said of Mr. Lydon. “I replied, ‘People told me you would destroy everything.’”

Good answer

EAB said...

What a lovely man.

Oso Negro said...

The most punk thing John did was stay married all these years. THAT was really counter-cultural

donald said...

I saw the Atlanta show Limited Blogger. By the time they got there they’d pretty much been beaten down. They looked scared. Ceptin for Sid. He didn’t give one fuck.