Without reading any of the articles on the subject, I'll just jot down all the thoughts I can come up with:
1. Somebody loves alliteration!
2. Why not forefront death? There's usually lots of death on the front page of the newspaper? "If it bleeds, it leads," they say. So why wait until something bleeds? Why not scream DEATH!!! right at your bloodlusting readers?
3. It makes me think of the emotionalism of the Scott Walker recall election of 2012 — "Democracy died tonight!"
4. They're giving the premise for an unstated assertion. The assertion is: We are the light! The idea is that you need this newspaper because we are what keeps democracy alive.
5. So then why not put it positively? If only I could have listened into the brainstorming session:
We are the light that shines on democracy!6. Maybe they knew they could get everybody to write about it and then they would take it out later.
No, we don't just show democracy by illuminating it, we actually cause its continued existence. If you shine a flashlight on a brick wall at night, it lets you see a wall that is always there. It doesn't build the wall. It doesn't keep the wall from crumbling.
We need it to be more like a plant in the sunlight, feeding on the light, and dying in darkness.
We are the blazing sun keeping the plants of democracy growing...
Like kudzu strangling the gnarled trunk of Trump!
That monster. That Satan.
The Prince of Darkness.
The Prince of Darkness is killing democracy.
Death darkness democracy.
Democracy Dies in Darkness!