• They don't remember when "cut and paste" involved scissors.
• They never had the fun of being thrown into the back of a station wagon with six others.
• "Whatever" isn't part of a question but an expression of sullen rebuke.
• They've grown up in a single superpower world.
• Salman Rushdie has always been watching over his shoulder.
Why does this list leave me feeling it could have been a lot better? It seems as though they just went over some newspapers from 18 years ago and extracted some events. The bigger cultural shifts are harder to see. Aren't there much more interesting differences between the world that preceeded today's freshmen and the world they grew up in?