January 14, 2004

This blog is called Marginalia, because I'm writing from Madison, Wisconsin, and Marginalia is a fictionalized name for Madison that I thought up a long time ago when I seriously believed I would write a fictionalized account of my life in Madison, Wisconsin. There is nothing terribly marginal about Madison, really, but I do like writing in the margins of books, something I once caused a librarian to gasp by saying. Writing in a blog is both less and more permanent than writing in the margin of a book.

10 comments:

John Althouse Cohen said...

Great!

Good luck!

Oh, and: First!

Icepick said...

First?

Icepick said...

Let others congratulate you at eight years elsewhere. I will do it here, in the margins of the past. Congrats, and keep having fun!

Ann Althouse said...

Hi, there. Finally, someone commented on the first post! And here I thought I was all alone.

Icepick said...

No longer!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I never looked at your first post until today. What happened to Old Icepick? And speaking of commenters, what happened to Sir Archy?

Icepick said...

Old Icepick is still around, sometimes. Don't know about Archibald. Lots of people dropped off over the years. Some have drifted in and out. (Guilty as charged.) I briefly started a project to go back and look at all the old blog posts and comment on them, but I couldn't find any willing partners. Imagine the fun of commenting on stuff when you already know how it turns out, or at least have the perspective of years of separation from the subject matter. Sort of blogging archaeology, but you can still add something new (or knew) to the site without disturbing the old stuff. Alas, an idea which shall never came, in the hyper-immediacy of the internet NOW.

Patrick said...

that was an awesome idea, Icepick! First, indeed.

Dave said...

Congrats on your 15th!

Ann Althouse said...

Thanks, Dave!