July 23, 2012

Mariah Carey becomes an "American Idol" judge.

Which means Randy Jackson is staying (since he is her manager).

Carey was a guest mentor on "American Idol" in 2008, and she did an excellent job. I see I wrote: "Kudos to Mariah for doing the show the Barry Manilow way." The link goes to a post of mine that criticizes Dolly Parton for not guest-mentoring the Barry Manilow way. Here's the really old post, from 2006, praising Barry Manilow:
I just want to say how much I like Barry Manilow. Not his music, which isn't to my taste, but him as a person. Unlike Stevie Wonder and various other guests, he did not do the show to get the kids to sing his songs, and he took his role as a music teacher seriously. He really analyzed each performance and came up with concrete help and never seemed to be at all about self-promotion. I know you could say that this nice-guy thing is just his gimmick, but if it is, it works well, and maybe more people ought to try it.
I don't know who the third judge is going to be in the new "American Idol," but I'd be perfectly happy to have Barry Manilow.

12 comments:

Lem said...

... but I'd be perfectly happy to have Barry Manilow.

Whatabout the wardrobe.

EMD said...

This show is so past its prime.

Jason said...

Manilow is a great, great master. If he had never had a single hit as a vocalist, he would still be a legend as a jingle writer.

"Like a good neighbor, State Farm is There,"

"I'm a Pepper, he's a Pepper, she's a Pepper, wouldn't you like to be a Pepper, too. ...Be a Pepper, drink Dr. Pepper..."

He is the Mozart of commercial jingles... and you could have built a hit song around any of his themes when they came out.

He was an outstanding session pianist and accompanist before anyone knew him as a ballad singer. A total pro. Anyone ought to jump at a chance to get some coaching from Barry Manilow.

Jason said...

Ah, I almost forgot. Remember "I'm stuck on Band-Aids, 'cause Band-Aids stick on me?"

That was Manilow.

A damned fine producer, orchestrator, and touring musical director in his day, as well.

Joe said...

Actually, Manilow didn't write the Dr. Pepper jingle; he just sang it. (He also only sang the KFC, McDonald's and Pepsi jingles.)

Joe said...

Here seems to be a list of Manilow commercial jingles: http://www.barrynethomepage.com/commercialjingles.html

MadisonMan said...

This show is so past its prime.

It only clobbers its competition.

MadisonMan said...

...And I could get behind Barry Manilow too, as a judge, especially if he could prevail upon the Divine Miss M to guest mentor.

heyboom said...

Used to be a huge Manilow fan in my younger days, until I realized that every song he did was arranged the exact same way:

Soft, slow start. Key change and soaring finish, holding the last note to a fade out.

Can still listen to him a little and don't hate him as a person, but was a little disappointed that he became so one tracked.

AprilApple said...

People still watch American Idol?

Methadras said...

care.

Paddy O said...

I liked Harry Connick Jr. when he was on American Idol, helping out contestants. He was helpful with his critiques but also silly.