August 28, 2023

Oh, no! "Cat Person" is back. Now, it's a movie. And the man we're supposed to be creeped out by is... Cousin Greg!!


Well, Nicholas Braun was a master of awkwardness as Greg on "Succession," but do I want to seen him dragged through this monstrosity? Or do you think there's any chance this movie could be good... at least good enough to get us back to talking about "Cat Person" like we did in 2017/2018?

If you don't remember the intense discussions around the short story "Cat Person," here's my old post from December 2017:
... I'll just say, based on my own reading of the story, that it makes a good jumping off point for discussing the problem of bad sex. Bad sex is something you need to distinguish from a criminal assault and take responsibility for avoiding. And reading the story is a good vicarious experience that might help women (and men) get better at ending an evening at an appropriately early point. The sex in that story is very graphic — graphic in a completely nontitillating way. In fact, the sex in that story is such that it would make excellent reading for an abstinence-only class.

And here's my follow-up post: "When has this happened in the last 50 years? Everyone's talking about the same short story!

15 comments:

Dave Begley said...

A funny and female “Fatal Attraction.”

“Make it the same, but different.” Sam Goldman.

Dave Begley said...

Must see.

Temujin said...

They could have slipped that trailer into the early part of "Oppenheimer" and I may have not noticed anything off.

WWIII Joe Biden, Husk-Puppet + America's Putin said...

Is this another all men are scum movie?

Hillarywoodland - F off.

Dave Begley said...

Correction. Sam Goldwyn.

William said...

Isn't bad sex a typical rite of passage during adolescence?...The trailer doesn't look like the movie will feature any prurience. Males will avert their gaze.

MayBee said...

Huh.

I think of myself as having a good memory, but I have no memory of this Cat Person business. Maybe I had a lot going on in 2018.

MikeD said...

Reminds me of a weird yet fascinating movie I viewed several years ago, "Shedding". Story of a cat who awakens one day as a human.

rehajm said...

In the 80s movies catered to the interests and fantasies of boys, now not so much. Full circle Hollywood...

Temp Blog said...

"Bad sex is something you need to distinguish from a criminal assault and take responsibility for avoiding. "

This discussion was before my time, but I would think you would want to take responsibility for avoiding criminal assault as much as you are able. "Reasonable precautions" aren't just for premature ejaculation and pregnancy.

Lem the artificially intelligent said...

I told my X, after coming back, ‘I love cats’ and I went from zero to the number of followers I have now. I don’t know 30?

It also made me popular with investment schemers. It makes sense that if you are looking for Barbie your going to need some money.

Uzing a young Ted Williams profile pic makes me look like I’m definitely on the prowl, I guess.

None of that was agenda driven btw. Some things just happen.

Btw. I keep forgetting to post a great video about the trope showing up in movies “that just happened”.

But that’s for a sunrise cafe, or tea.

Lilly, a dog said...

"Cat Person" is versatile. It's a short story, made into a box office bomb, and will soon be a StudioCanal tax write-off.

Lindsey said...

Zooey Deschanel should be in this— not that lady whoever she is.

Saint Croix said...

I like Catwoman but not cat people.

I judge horror movies by what would happen if Scout was in the movie.

Scout would finish Jason, Freddy, and Mikey. All three of them at once. We'll see who's running away.

Jaws would be bad for Scout. Also Aliens. So those are highly effective horror movies. Basically you have to be tougher than Scout. Most of these bad guys are not scary at all. Cat people? What the fuck man. Scout ends this movie at the 20 minute mark.

Get a dog, girlie. That's my review.

Oligonicella said...

"Everyone's talking about the same short story!"

Sometimes "everyone" is simply the small group of people you know.