January 22, 2012

"But he had no idea the nail had entered his brain until the next day, when he began feeling nauseous."

"Dante Autullo, 34, was in his workshop when a nail gun recoiled near his head...."

15 comments:

bagoh20 said...

There sure a lot of these nail guns biting their owners. If they were a breed of dog, they would be banned in many cities, and it would be hard to get insurance with one in the house.

bagoh20 said...

So if you wake up with a hangover, first thing should be checking your head for nails. Use a magnet.

D.D. Driver said...

Grrrrr.

The word is "nauseated" unless he started making others feel sick to their stomachs.

Maguro said...

Hopefully it'll work out better for this guy than it did for Phineas Gage.

madAsHell said...

I read the article. I don't understand the "nail gun recoiled by his head". It appears the nail went in head first (not the pointy end).

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

edutcher said...

Charles Darwin nods.

Hagar said...

The picture and the story do not match.

Tyrone Slothrop said...

Years ago Esquire included in its Dubious Achievement Awards the man who committed suicide by drilling seven holes in his head with a 1/4" electric drill. Esquire's headline was, "Man Drills Six Holes in Head and Lives."

phx said...

I remember a story about a woman eating at a fast food place and suddenly something popped through the wall. She couldn't figure it out and out of curiosity went to look at the hole it made. While she was peering at it the next nail from the nail gun on the other side caught her in the head and she died.

sydney said...

Similar to this case, but it took a little longer for the second guy to find the foreign body.

Carnifex said...

Over 30 years of carpentry has exposed me to many nail guns. And almost all accidents involving nail guns come from improper use. I've seen guys tie back the triggers so they fire faster. I've seen disabled safties. I've been inside houses while the guys on the outside are nailing on plywood, and when they miss the stud, the nail goes flying across the room. It always amazed me MORE people weren't hurt.

Hell, guys would have nail gun fights, shooting each other from across the room, laughing like the maniacs they were.

I myself would shoot for accuracy, at targets like coke cans or pieces of wood.

The guys in construction are rough, and ready. Much like Kipling's soldiers in barracks, "We ain't no painted saints". Its a young mans game, and as with all youth, we were immortal.

Not so much now.

You people have old decks? If you wanna scare you should read the warning labels they used to put on treated wood. Don't burn it, don't breath the dust, don't let your animals chew it. Stuff was treated with arsenic.

Warning came about 20 years too late though.

Should I tell you about fiberglass insulation? Or maybe the vapors from chemicals? I got the shakes for 2 weeks once from that.

Don't Tread 2012 said...

"Dante Autullo took the opportunity to post his x-ray to Facebook in the ambulance between hospitals"

This moron is a Chicago resident.

Many, many questions. But I'm afraid the payoff would not make up for the time spent.

Edutcher has it right.

wv - miechead

Ha!

Kirk Parker said...

"I don't understand the 'nail gun recoiled by his head'."

Mistakes were made.

harkin said...

Nobody seems to care that a nail which entered the poor guy's forehead apparently entered flat-side first, according to the x-ray pic provided.

Something very wrong here besides a nail in the brain.

bridgecross said...

@madAsHell; I don't get it either. For this to happen, the gun would have to recoil off the workpiece, turn around 180 degrees, depress the sensor on his forehead, AND trip the trigger. Or did the nail itself bounce off a metal surface and strike him (blunt end first!?) Me thinks it's a stock photo.