१७ सप्टेंबर, २०२६

"Dating older women wasn’t a conscious decision — it was more a symptom of success in the dating market overall..."

"... than any particular urge to see someone ten or more years my senior. Being tall, combined with being one of the last Gen Z men to have read a book, meant I was very successful, especially on Hinge.... I would go on two or more dates a week from the apps. My Hinge age range... was set from 18 to 40. But despite my open-mindedness, the dating app algorithm rarely showed me anyone beyond 30 and my dates from Hinge were almost exclusively 22-year-old trainee lawyers who went to Oxford. So I met most of the older women outside dating apps.... The biggest difference is perhaps that older women are more relaxed. I don’t have to worry about them behaving like the 22-year-old lawyer who untucked my shirt and escorted me around Uniqlo until I 'looked sufficiently left-wing'...."


Uniqlo is just a store. I looked around at their Instagram. When I got to this, it renewed my mournfulness over the death of Peter Max:

५३ टिप्पण्या:

Danno म्हणाले...

It sounds like this guy will never marry, and likely have no children due to his fondness for women beyond their fertile age.

Lazarus म्हणाले...

Get on with breaking up, UK, and spare us stories like this.

mezzrow म्हणाले...

This man will learn more about women than the 22-year old lawyers did about law at Oxford. This is called "pressing your advantage".
Key line:
"I met most of the older women outside dating apps."

bagoh20 म्हणाले...

The modern American woman has clearly achieved that elusive equality.

"Second Wisconsin elementary teacher convicted of sexually abusing young student at same small-town school"

https://nypost.com/2026/09/15/us-news/wisconsin-teacher-abigail-faust-guilty-of-sexually-abusing-student/

mezzrow म्हणाले...

Marrying an older woman not a bad idea. Ask me (or Meade) how I know. How MUCH older is the key. Not much, is my answer.

gilbar म्हणाले...

i think Ben Franklin wrote about this..
it ALL ASSUMES that you don't want kids..
Lets see WHO this guy is dating in 10 years (when he might want kids)

bagoh20 म्हणाले...

Eventually this older woman thing runs out of room.

bagoh20 म्हणाले...

When I was in my 20's I never looked for them, but they found me. Everything he says about older women was true. They seemed to be perfect. They only called you when they really wanted you, and they had money. Funny thing was they would do the whole dinner and drinks thing like they were dating a woman and had to go through the motions first, which was entirely unnecessary.

Peachy+2 म्हणाले...

I bet those older women say "Like like like" less.
That would word for me.

bagoh20 म्हणाले...

It saved me from celibacy and starvation when I was flat broke. You got use what you have to survive.

CJinPA म्हणाले...

"Is there no going back to girlfriends his own age?"

These aren't "girlfriends." They're women he takes out to dinner once, then sees mainly for booty calls, in which Cormac Mc Carthy is rarely discussed.

As long as the women are ok with it, no harm done. But eventually a guy will want to find a woman who can bear him some children.

Jaq म्हणाले...

It's easier to meet women outside of dating apps, because women don't actually react IRL to what they say they want on line.

bagoh20 म्हणाले...

"... women don't actually react IRL to what they say they want on line."

Finally a point of agreement.

RideSpaceMountain म्हणाले...

"no-strings sex" comes in all flavors. So do the strings, but there are always "strings".

RideSpaceMountain म्हणाले...

"untucked my shirt and escorted me around Uniqlo until I 'looked sufficiently left-wing'...."

"Tryhard DSA hobo....SO HOT RIGHT NOW!"

Indefinitely Extended Excursion™️ म्हणाले...

This could either be a good sign—more men who are comfortable with themselves and aren’t threatened by a woman who is older, wealthier, or more sexually experienced—or an uptick in man-children who want their mommies. Or, of course, both.

M Jordan म्हणाले...

I grew up with a taboo against sex outside of marriage that bordered on existential. When I read about the casual way most people today think about sex it unsettles me even today at age 73. The sex act itself still amazes me in its mechanics as well as its allegorical significance. It reminds that God truly has a sense of humor as well as great wisdom. This guy’s approach to it shouts to me: Philistine! Uncouth, superficial, vulgar, animalistic. Young ladies, don’t give this guy your body … don’t even give him your phone number. He’s a worthless piece of shit.

Not an oldster. म्हणाले...

I think the quality younger women are enjoying sexx, all expenses covered, with older men in their 30s and 40s too. Some of the smart and pretty young ladies have landed law professors as marriage bait, the minxes...
Young people whoring themselves out to the older generations as they become sexually mature... same as it ever was...
More incentive to kiss and tell today.

Meh.

Not an oldster. म्हणाले...

Lol peachy @ 754.
It is amazing what you are willing to overlook in younger people if you like love them and see their inner goodness...
Even if they dont read.
Sometimes a man has to settle.

Iman म्हणाले...

Cougar Country…

Not an oldster. म्हणाले...

Ann, were you a virgin when you met Richard Cohen or had you consummated any of those earlier flirtations with men your fathers age? Or was the naughty schoolgirl dress and attitide all all an act and you went as untouched as a magazine photo?

Write something interesting

RCOCEAN II म्हणाले...

Y'know who reads the London Times. Its not women under 30. Nice to know that some women somewhere is dating men shorter than her and some man is dating women older than her. And now doubt if we got back far enough, we'll find women dating poor men and men dating fat men.

I guess its a "'man bites dog" story for those interested.

RCOCEAN II म्हणाले...

Bukowski said older women used to date him because he'd listen to them and talk to them about their problems.

Ice Nine म्हणाले...

Well, Jack, older women are indeed great, and here's a heads up, buddy -- that doesn't stop at 40.

John henry म्हणाले...

"8thly and Lastly. They are so grateful"

Ben Franklin in a 1745 letter to a friend on why he peers older women

https://www.laphamsquarterly.org/eros/praise-older-women

John Henry

John henry म्हणाले...

Benny Hill on the subject

https://youtu.be/ZYMOufeXfgE?is=wianJoCHmnC4vY9h

John Henry

FullMoon म्हणाले...

From John Henry's link above.
5. Because in every Animal that walks upright, the Deficiency of the Fluids that fill the Muscles appears first in the highest Part. The Face first grows lank and wrinkled; then the Neck; then the Breast and Arms; the lower Parts continuing to the last as plump as ever, so that covering all above with a Basket, and regarding only what is below the Girdle, it is impossible of two Women to know an old from a young one. And as in the dark all Cats are grey, the Pleasure of corporal Enjoyment with an old Woman is at least equal, and frequently superior, every Knack being by Practice capable of Improvement.

Spiros म्हणाले...

Have you noticed how teenage girls are getting uglier than their moms? And have any of you picked up an old high school yearbook from the 1970s or 1980s? There were a lot of attractive people back then. They had nicer faces. Apparently, there is a thing known as the functional matrix hypothesis that suggests that the development of facial features, especially our jaw lines, is heavily influenced by exercise and modern diets. Lack of exercise and mushy food is making us ugly! Throw in bad attitudes and anti-psychotic drugs prescribed by an AI therapy bot and you get this bizarre phenomenon of very young men preferring older women. They just look better and they're more normal. This is so unbelievably sad.

RideSpaceMountain म्हणाले...

Modern young women don't need laziness and mushy food to make themselves ugly. They just have to go to college.

n.n म्हणाले...

Benefits without investment and other probable "burdens".

bagoh20 म्हणाले...

I've noticed that young women today look unusually similar, especially famous ones. A large number have that slightly ethnic/Asian look. I wonder if it's a similar process like how in places with large numbers of stray dogs, they all start looking the same.

n.n म्हणाले...

RAAT race, perhaps, without the blood and gore.

Howard म्हणाले...

I think it has always been pretty common for older women to school young men, especially tall men, on their way up to achieve adequate substantialness in order to afford a younger woman to Bear him his children.

Disparity of Cult म्हणाले...

Gallina vecchia fa bon brodo (Italian dialect proverb)

Marcus Bressler म्हणाले...

Fifteen years ago I stopped dating women close to my age. When I was 21, I had a year-long love affair with a 38 year old woman, but that was about it in terms of "cougars" and such. I have found, and YMMV, that the older women want you to jump through hoops for a CHANCE at fifty year old poontang and saggy tiddies. While the chicks in their 20s and 30s have no problem with sex and short relationships. They are not the marrying kind for me of course (they wouldn't even consider it) and I would not even think of marrying them. But they are fun dates and FWB relationships.

BarrySanders20 म्हणाले...

I'm reminded of an exchange at breakfast in the fraternity house circa 1988. We noticed Dale frequently hooked up with bigger girls. At breakfast after a house party, someone who noticed Dale accompanying a female friend going upstairs with him the night before asked:

"Dale, do you like the big girls?"

And Dale responded: "It's not so much that I like the big girls. It's more that the big girls like me."

RideSpaceMountain म्हणाले...

"I think it has always been pretty common for older women to school young men"

"Brigitte" Macron would agree, but Emmanuel remains childless.

Aggie म्हणाले...

'...I think it has always been pretty common for older women to school young men...'

That's how Clark Gable got his start, before stardom - for instance. Nowadays, depending upon the circumstances, they call it grooming. They called it by the same name back then, too, but it had a more favorable meaning.

James K म्हणाले...

"Marrying an older woman not a bad idea. Ask me (or Meade) how I know. How MUCH older is the key. Not much, is my answer."

I dated a lot of older women when I was in my 20s and early 30s. But not that much older (and also some younger). I think the biggest gap was 7 years (27 vs 34). As I got older the gaps shrank (I wanted kids), and I ended up marrying someone 5 months older than me.

Rocco म्हणाले...

When I was 18-24, I dated a string of older women. They were all 28-30. If I were single, I’d still wanna date a 28-30 year old.

loudogblog म्हणाले...

"the dating app algorithm rarely showed me anyone beyond 30"

I wonder if the app algorithm is prioritized to favor what women are asking for...

Just an old country lawyer म्हणाले...

The opera "Der Rosenkavalier" by Richard Strauss explores this topic, as well as what happens when the younger man wants a younger woman to settle down with and have babies. It is full of wit, understanding and absolutely gorgeous music. Start with a video of the final scene, "hab mir gelopt" which is about ten minutes of the most beautiful singing you will ever hear. Be forewarned, the young man, Octavian, is played by a woman, in what is called a pants role. If you want to watch the entire opera, the 1992 video conducted by Carlos Kleiber is very fine. Enjoy.

Smilin' Jack म्हणाले...

“ I don’t have to worry about them behaving like the 22-year-old lawyer who untucked my shirt and escorted me around Uniqlo until I 'looked sufficiently left-wing'...."

Wish I hadn’t read that. Now I’m going to have nightmares.

RMc म्हणाले...

the joys of dating women in their thirties and forties

The word "dating" sure is doing some heavy lifting here...

Hassayamper म्हणाले...

Nowadays, depending upon the circumstances, they call it grooming.

I was "groomed" by an older woman when it wouldn't have been strictly legal in my state, and... I loved every second of it. All of my subsequent girlfriends, and the woman who has been my wife for decades, owe a debt to her that they will never know about.

Achilles म्हणाले...

Standard soft times decadence.

Soft people are the result.

Hard times will follow.

bagoh20 म्हणाले...

Older women love Andrea Bocelli.

JK Brown म्हणाले...

This is a dog bites man story but against the narrative of Tik Tok women calling older men dating mid-20s women a name that really applies to prepubescent children


========
"Dating Intentions: Among single Americans aged 40 and older, 71% of women report they are not looking to date, compared to only 42% of men in the same age bracket."

"After 35, women become 10× more likely to message younger men, and it works: 40-year-old women get 60% reply rates from 25-year-old men versus just 14% in the reverse direction. An AARP survey found 34% of women over 40 are already dating younger men,"

bagoh20 म्हणाले...

Younger men with older women gives both confidence knowing each brings something new and desirable to the table.

Smilin' Jack म्हणाले...

“I don’t have to worry about them behaving like the 22-year-old lawyer who untucked my shirt and escorted me around Uniqlo until I 'looked sufficiently left-wing'...."

Wish I hadn’t read that. Now I’m going to have nightmares.

(This comment was deleted when I posted it before; just curious to see if it happens this time.)

Smilin' Jack म्हणाले...

Odd…I’ve posted a fairly innocuous comment here a couple of times today, one just minutes ago, and they disappear a few seconds later. I know they posted because I have screenshots. Is Blogger censoring me?

tcrosse म्हणाले...

Re: Rosenkavalier: When I was 40 I met the Marschallin, who had no Oktavian in her past, but was neglected by the Marschall. . She was a woman of great beauty, grace, and intelligence, and made me forget the Sophie in my past. .We had a very happy life together.

Greg The Class Traitor म्हणाले...

gilbar said...
i think Ben Franklin wrote about this..

That was my immediate thought. It's one of the more amusing letters (still around) from that century

टिप्पणी पोस्ट करा

Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.