From "Organ Donation Should Be Trustworthy. It’s Not" (NYT gift link).
१८ सप्टेंबर, २०२६
"Doctors told his family he was brain-dead.... A procurement organization was called in to collect his organs."
"While being evaluated for donation, Mr. Hoover opened his eyes and thrashed on the bed. The case should have been stopped. Instead, Mr. Hoover was sedated and given a paralytic drug. Hours later, he awoke again and moved his toes on command; his family was told he was merely exhibiting reflexes.
In the operating room, Mr. Hoover pulled his knees to his chest and shook his head 'no.' Tears rolled down his face. The surgeon refused to proceed. Whistle-blowers say procurement executives called their staff member on-site at the hospital and demanded she find another surgeon to take the organs. No surgeon would.
Mr. Hoover survived, though he still asks his older sister, 'Why did they try to kill me?'
It would be reassuring — and, for some, convenient — to treat Mr. Hoover’s experience as an exaggeration, even some macabre campfire tale...."

७१ टिप्पण्या:
Who knew an old Monty Python sketch would become reality.
Good thing he wasn't in China.
or Canada
I believe the sketch was on SNL, roughly 1976-77.
Once again. For an organ to be usable in a transport, the donor has to be still alive when it is taken. Hence the necessary euphemism of "brain death."
When I obtained a drivers license in FL I purposely declined to sign the organ donor paperwork. It is sad that we can’t trust the medical “profession” like we used to. But they gave up their oath (First do no harm) when they overwhelmingly sided with the CDC-Fauci COVID fiasco even after many doctors had seen adverse reactions and the “vaccine” had no ability to stop transmission.
The push to legalize euthanasia is the cherry on top. When the State can kill you and take your organs by force then you are no longer free. We are maybe one step away from that being done here as it is in Canada.
This Segal guy it’s his advocacy money from a billionaire former Enron trader and it shows. He will literally say anything to get his private equity friends into the donation space and kick out non profits. The KY case did not happen as he said. The hospital screwed up the the diagnosis with the family and the fallout has fallen upon the workers at a small OPO who don’t have access to the NYTs. Government and media are a huge shltshow and people lie all day long. It really is awful.
Mike (MJB Wolf) said...
“When I obtained a drivers license in FL I purposely declined to sign the organ donor paperwork.”
Ditto here, with my partner. Used to mark “organ donor” on our DLs. Not for a decade or so. We believe in organ donating. But don’t trust the hospital system one bit.
Viability. Planned Personhood.
…I don’t have the box checked because experiences have taught me the organ teams are way too zombie aggressive. I had no idea it was this bad…
Is Mr. Hoover a black man?
Seems a relevant fact to include. When you report, even recycled stories, try to draw out and answer the questions that immediately pop to mind, so the reader doesn't have to click your links. Provide a service in your summaries?
…though I get the feeling once the teams are alerted the box won’t be much help…
If you ever checked the box (or someone in the DMV checked it for you), you are still on the list. That status is difficult to change. And if you manage to remove your name from one list, it may still be on another.
As has been said up above, you have to be alive when your organs are taken. Dead people can't donate organs.
Organ Donation makes MILLIONS (for the hospitals).. Trust me
".. the donor has to be still alive when it is taken. Hence the necessary euphemism of "brain death.."
which DOES sound MUCH NICER than vivisection
i stopped checking the box, when i found out that they were counting SKIN as an organ, and (taking it for WHAT?),
however, i'm sure that my name is still on their lists.
There's SO MUCH MONEY being made through organ harvesting, that they DON'T give a single cent to the "donors" or their estates
@gilbar most donated skin is used in post mastectomy breast, reconstruction or wound care associated with things like diabetes.
@leemoore what you are saying is not true. Organ recovery only occurs after somebody is dead.
“Organ Leroy, at his organ again.”
"But they gave up their oath (First do no harm) when they overwhelmingly sided with the CDC-Fauci COVID fiasco even after many doctors had seen adverse reactions and the “vaccine” had no ability to stop"
https://www.news-medical.net/news/20260917/US-health-officials-knowingly-relied-on-flawed-vaccine-safety-algorithm.aspx
It's a whole lot worse than this anodyne article suggests (I don't subscribe to the British Medical Journal so I can't link it). Jeff Childers at Coffee and Covid covered this yesterday. Basically the CDC knowingly used a vaccine adverse event reporting system that didn't compare the incidence of adverse events reported to other vaccines, but limited the comparison to only other MRNA vaccines. Thus the massive and overwhelming incidence of adverse events involving MRNA vaccines was passed off as being "similar to other vaccines" and thus "safe." And they knew about the problem and suppressed it, because reporting the real dangers of the vaccines would undermine public confidence.
As Childers put it (paraphrasing), it's as if they used a comparison of lung cancer incidence from Lucky Strikes vs. Marlboros, and because they were "similar," pronounced cigarettes "safe."
Evil. Huge. Corrupt. And completely ignored by the MSM.
The British Medical Journal is not some obscure gadfly outfit. It is sort of the gold standard. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_BMJ
the same morally void bastards who ruin teens and children with the "gender affirming care" BS.
HARM - it's all leftist greed.
"I heard allegations of negligence and financial fraud, including industry executives’ billing taxpayers for joyrides on private jets meant to transport organs; of organizations performing unnecessary procedures as part of a scheme to overbill Medicare. (Organ procurement organizations are nonprofits, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t trying to maximize financial reimbursements.) I’ve heard of poorer Americans waiting to receive organs passed over in favor of wealthier ones."
Non-profits are the left's mechanism for fraud.
That's why I am not an organ donor.
Who would want ‘em? 🤔
"most donated skin is used in..."
and what's the rest used for? making cosmetics? Right
for fun, i just did a google search for "althouse.blogspot rrsafety"
interestingly, the ONLY posts *I* found were rrsafety advocating for organ harvesting. Now, i'm NOT saying that rrsafetty is a demonic ghoul that lives off of the dying parts of other people's bodies.. I'm Just asking rrsafety.. who ARE YOU?
Doctors told the family he was brain-dead.
It started with gross negligence (or intent?). The doctors declared a man dead, when he was not. That ought to be a huge lawsuit, right there. Almost brain-dead is not brain-dead.
While being evaluated for donation, Mr. Hoover opened his eyes and thrashed on the bed. The case should have been stopped. Instead, Mr. Hoover was sedated and given a paralytic drug.
That goes to intent. They knew he wasn't dead. You don't have to give dead people a paralytic drug.
In the operating room, Mr. Hoover pulled his knees to his chest and shook his head 'no.' Tears rolled down his face. The surgeon refused to proceed.
Good for him. Hippocratic Oath is on life-support. But some doctors apparently feel some sort of obligation not to kill people. Good news! I almost want to give him a medal. "Thank you for not killing a patient on purpose."
Whistle-blowers say procurement executives called their staff member on-site at the hospital and demanded she find another surgeon to take the organs.
You got probable cause to arrest them and charge them with attempted murder. It's a question of knowledge and intent. Did you know the patient was still alive? If so, this is a crime.
"Why did they try to kill me?"
Because apparently there is no criminal sanction for the people who did this.
Doctors, nurses, everybody in a hospital ought to be pro-life.
"Who would want ‘em? 🤔"
Some wealthy, unscrupulous and unsentimental dude from almost anywhere, but probably China.
UPDATE: "The federal government has officially cut ties with Network for Hope, the organ procurement organization serving Kentucky, following an investigation that found widespread concerns about patient safety and organ donation practices."
Also of note: Most of this story is attributed to one named eyewitness.
NPR has a good article on this case.
It blows me away that nobody is talking about criminal sanctions.
The non-profit blames the investigation for a drop-off in organ donors.
The accusations that emerged at the congressional hearing in September undermine trust in the organ donation system and have led to a drop in people signing up to be donors, according to an open letter released Oct. 3 by the organization.
Maybe it was the murder attempt that is chilling your chartable efforts. Did you ever think of that? You have the balls (the ovaries?) to blame the investigators for your murder attempt that was thwarted at the last minute?
AI says the donor outfit was "decertified." Oh? Is that the punishment for murder attempts now? Decertification?
I'm still an organ donor, by the way. The odds that some doctor will murder me are pretty low. The odds that my sweet organs might save somebody's life are pretty good. I like to play the odds.
There is a law in a country that I won’t name, that has a law that only applies to people of a certain religion and race, that carries the death penalty, carried out by hanging inside of a prison. Oddly, death by hanging leaves the organs recoverable if you are right there for it.
A few comments above refer to the need for someone to be still alive when organs are donated.
Not necessarily- see "Donation after Cardiac/Circulatory Death."
That occurs when extraordinary means are in place to keep a patient "alive," including very powerful drugs to maintain pulse and blood pressure, and artificial ventilation through a breathing tube. When these measures are withdrawn, the heart stops within a few minutes, death is declared, and only then is the organ harvest started. The surgical team has only a few minutes to get the organs out before they start to deteriorate.
As in Brain Death donation, the people who declare (brain or cardiac) death are completely separate from the people who do the harvesting.
I'm not saying that DCD is any safer or ethical than using brain death as a criterion, only that some patients are in fact clinically dead (no heartbeat, not breathing) when they donate.
A horrible story for sure, and something that should never happen, but that doesn't take away from the miracle and blessing of organ donation.
In a couple weeks I will be celebrating my 20th year with a woman's liver. That's 20 years I was told in 2006 I would never see, after being diagnosed with advanced terminal liver cancer.
All I ever heard was that my donor was brain dead from a car accident. I wasn't near the top of the list, but I was called at work that day and told this just happened, it was an unexpected perfect match, and surgery was today. Suddenly going from I got a few months to live to I've got a chance to I might die today on the table. That's a strange roller coaster ride that happened all at once.
The wonderful things that have happened in my life since that day and all I have been able to do for others I hope honors the donor family's loss. I wrote them a letter of thanks, but never heard back. I wish I could show them the good things that sacrifice made possible. It's a story of magic, grace, and good fortune they could be proud of.
I had not heard of this case before. Very interesting. I'm not surprised this happened in Richmond, Kentucky. My mother died 11-19-24 two days after a comfort care (palliative care) PA (I think he was) in Forsyth hospital (Winston-Salem) misled me about what they wanted to medicate her with after saying she has about six hours to live, him saying the drug will ease her pain and make her breathing less labored. I specifically asked him whether he was giving her a strong narcotic like morphine and he said something to the effect that it was a tiny dose of a weak pain killer. Turns out he was giving her dilaudid, a drug in the morphine class four to eight time stronger than morphine. When after looking up the drug I noticed he misled me, I asked him why he was trying to kill my mom. I was banned from the hospital, I suppose because supposedly I spoke with sufficient loudness that patients outside my mother's room may have heard my complaints. She lived about 48 hours--significantly more than six.
I have a feeling many seniors in a bad way are essentially murdered in hospitals, largely because the way Medicare billing is set up. In inpatient settings, Medicare patients are given a diagnosis code. I believe the hospital is not paid according to incurred expenses, but a certain amount according to diagnosis code (Diagnosis-Related Group Billing) established shortly after admission. This is advantageous in a way, because the hospital won't have incentive to keep patients forever to increase reimbursements from Medicare, and because paperwork will be reduced from hospitals having less need to keep careful records of all expenses. However, a side effect (if disincentives are insufficient to discourage early deaths) is that the hospital can make more money by ensuring patients leave hospital quickly, so the hospital won't have to spend money on them for as long, which could lead to venal hospitals encouraging difficult Medicare patients to quickly leave to the morgue by not taking care of them well or by dosing them up with excess narcotics. Supposedly, high death rate affects a hospital's ratings from Medicare, but those ratings are not very granular, and are quite opaque. True, they say hospitals make less money on Medicare patients, but if true, in a way that just gives hospitals more incentive to off elderly patients, since then you could have hospitals competing to get the worst Medicare ratings so they won't have to deal with those patients as much while they simultaneously can save or even earn money while actually dealing with patients for a shorter time by encouraging their quick deaths, leading to higher deaths by neglect or murder.
While at the hospital with my mother, I believe I was subjected to more propaganda about comfort care and the cruelty of not having a do not resuscitate order (chest compressions on elderly can break their bones supposedly and nurses, etc., doing it supposedly may be traumatized upon hearing the bones snapping, what they were telling us), than I was about what the options were for trying to improve her condition. I knew from studying serial killers and assassinations that often their murders are more about the mystique of being able to encourage others to kill than about the joy of killing, and so I figured good chance this hospital is partly infested with occult serial killer crap (I had to pass by a plaque each day en route to her room, which pointed out the building was dedicated April 20, 1964, which I noticed was Hitler's 75th birthday).(cot'd)
Anyway, as I do whenever studying a murder, a week or two after she died I looked up the dates for possible occult significance. Turns out the date was the 52nd anniversary of Madison High, Richmond, KY, losing so many football fans, etc., when their plane returning from the state playoffs crashed in Elkton. That made sense to me because Maryland's deadliest accident was the December 8, 1963, Flight 214 disaster in Elkton, Maryland, and unlike Maryland's second–fifth deadliest disasters, all four of which had weird coincidences with the Key Bridge disaster, Flight 214 did not. But it does, in a way, if you consider that the Elkton, Kentucky, crash affected Madison High, since President Madison started the War of 1812. Possibly also why the school shooting happened in your Madison not long after all this was going on. My mother died on the second anniversary of a fatal plane crash in Winston. The plane's last stop had been at the London-Corbin, KY, airport (where the tornado hit last year, ironically enough), not far south of Richmond, KY. Corbin was last stop before the 1944 Jellico train wreck (James Earl Ray possibly was involved), and in a London hospital is where Donald Harvey got his start murdering. Orville Majors murdered in Clinton, Indiana, where the ignored orders were (or weren't) given that caused the 1944 Terre-Haute wreck (James Earl Ray possibly, again). Now, Charles Cullen last murdered in the medical facility in Somerville, NJ, as in the old Somerville Terra Cotta Plant next to the old Terra Cotta station in DC where the rear-end collision killed about 53 fifty years to the day before Lloyd Lee Welch, Jr., was purportedly born. William Gaither took George Atzerodt to Mullican's tavern at the south end of Redland Road in Derwood, MD, the day Lincoln died. Mullican lost a daughter in the Terra Cotta wreck and lost a son off Redland Road in Derwood near a current branch of the Thomas Somerville and Co. plumbing supply place when he was mostly decapitated and mutilated by train No. 7 in a railway cut north of Derwood station. Pretty obvious in 1975 on the anniversary of the Bainbridge, MD, plane crash two policemen (one from Forsyth County) were killed off Redland Road in Advance, NC, over same balderdash. I figure hospital may have put my mother in Room 126 'cause Atzerodt stayed at Room 126 in Kirkwood House below Andy Johnson's residence when he was to kill him.
I think, based on his other comments, Jaq is trying to imply that Israel hangs people. All while he cheerfully cheers on every Muslim brutal murder of women, Christians, Buddhists and gays, naturally.
No “survival” tag?
Instead, Mr. Hoover was sedated and given a paralytic drug.
By who? Has that person been referred to the DAs office for attempted murder? Why not?
Hours later, he awoke again and moved his toes on command; his family was told he was merely exhibiting reflexes
Again, by who? Has the Hospital fired whoever said that? Why not?
There needs to be accountability, not just stories in the paper.
@Greg, *1000
I donated platelets yesterday. For the 18th time this year. Hopefully my donations are saving lives. At no cost to mine.
I am not on the organ door list after death. Why? Stories like this. This type of thing is far more common then most think- and cases will be covered up as rapidly as possible.
Now that we're euthanizing youngsters- and the first one went smoothly- how long before before it's done on an operating table? With the parents richly compensated? Secretly, of curse. At first.
Bagoh - that is an amazing story. Wow. You are truly blessed.
Reminds me of a deep sadness I hold. I lost a dear dear cousin to liver cancer just a few years ago, in 2024. I often wondered if she could get a new liver somehow. Not privy to her situation in total, I regret I didn't try harder to help her. She was a nurse by trade, but worked hard and became the 2nd in command in a hospital system.
+1000
My very over-weight and unhealthy aunt died and was on the donation list. I was surprised they could harvest anything from her - but they did get her corneas.
When my wife was in the hospital dying, the chaplain was calling and texting me…at least 10 times to sign off. I didn’t want to do it and after speaking to her mom said no. That woman turned asshole bitch on the spot (“Do you not realize Mr Bulloch that we can eliminate the whole bill?).
So here's the problem with power in America: people aren't sufficiently punished for misusing it
1: What organ donations not to drop off? Then when something like this happens, completely and utterly destroy the lives of everyone who did wrong.
No excuse, justifications, stories. You acted to cover up that someone wasn't dead yet? You're getting fired, you're getting prosecuted, and you will never work again in the field
2: Want Flock cameras to be there to catch criminals? Then when someone misuses one, they go to jail. Fired, go to jail, can never work in law enforcement, or any job that might have access to the cameras or their output, ever again, for so long as you live.
3: Want rape sufficiently punished? Then false accusations of it must always get the maximum punishment the person accused could have received.
If you want power to do good, then abuse of that power must be harshly punished
West TX : "I'm not saying that DCD is any safer or ethical than using brain death as a criterion, only that some patients are in fact clinically dead (no heartbeat, not breathing) when they donate. "
The trouble is that DCD is only used if the donor does NOT meet the criteria for brain death. ie in order to harvest organs which were still in working condition, the idea of "brain death" was invented. Now that it is convenient to harvest before this newly invented standard of death is met, we have a new definition "circulatory death" - ie no heartbeat, no breathing (because support for that has been turned off) but tellingly that does not include no brain activity - else DCD wouldn't be needed, they could rely on brain death. So it's just moving the goalposts. Again. If there was no organ harvesting to be done, we'd simply have death. = no signs of life, period. But that is inconvenient because once there's no signs of life of any kind, the organs are past their sell by date.
En passant i should say that I'm not against donation by live patients, who are going to die because they need their heart just as much as the donee, so long as we don't con donors into thinking they'll be dead at the time. Because they won't..
A college friend, a real deadhead back in the day and so full of peace and love it oozed (still oozes) from her every pore, is on the list for a double lung transplant. She has a condition that causes sclerosis of her lung tissue and is down to something like 20% lung function, if memory serves.
Anyway. She got a call a few months back that a woman had been brought in from a terrible accident and wasn't expected to live, and she was a good match for our friend. So she rushed to the hospital and was prepped for surgery - and the woman survived. Our friend's response when telling us the story - "Isn't that great? She lived!"
I'm an organ donor. [shrug] I'll just have to trust my husband and kids to advocate for me if the time comes.
I donated blood for several years, until the Mad Cow restriction came about; I'd lived in England during that window and was barred from donating for much longer than I'd been able to donate. But I recently heard that the restriction has been lifted. Maybe I'll find a place to donate today.
Rock Hudson in the movie "Seconds" - 1966
Of course these abuses should be eliminated and accountability is needed when it happens, but it's important to not assume those pushing donation are malicious. You need to remember that there are people on the other end at death's door with their loved ones around them hoping that organ comes and saves them. Sometimes one donor can save multiple people, so it's understandable why those in the process may be anxious to get it done. Time is essential and lives are at stake. That doesn't justify doing it wrong, and I'm sure sometimes it's other motivations, but there are good people doing amazing work in this field. The horror stories are the exception and the saved lives are the rule.
My drivers license needed renewal in person this year. I had read a number of horror stories over a couple of years, I didn’t check the donor box on the application. I found out later I also had to remove my name from the registry, which turned out to be fairly easy; just a web site visit. I believe the ease of doing the second step varies by location.
I've had a great life, and at my age, I could do a lot worse than being mistakenly killed and thus saving others with my organs. I'm staying a donor. The odds are very small that it will happen like this story, while the odds that I could create a miracle for someone are good. Turning that potential into ashes or worm food would be a terrible waste.
News on more recent government action.
The Timothy case was in 2021. The actions of Oz and the Trump administration are obviously critically important to this situation. But other than a snide remark on the new Sheriff there is no mention of them in the Times piece calling for government action.
"Who would want ‘em? 🤔"
RSM wrote… “Some wealthy, unscrupulous and unsentimental dude from almost anywhere, but probably China.”
No, RSM, not my point. Who would want ‘em if they came from the diseased DeeDee Drivel?
"News on more recent government action."
Those guidelines look pretty good, but the crucial issue is what are the consequences for not following them? This story is not an isolated example. I remember there was a story (in the NYT I believe) a year or so ago about multiple instances in which organ donation decisions were made prematurely. The consequences have to be severe or the guidelines will be toothless.
Lee Moore-
After reading this post by Althouse, I can understand that a person would be as cynical as you about organ donation, but I also read bagoh20 and resolve to stay on the donor list.
Defining death as absence of breathing and heartbeat is not new, they are the oldest criteria ever used by human beings to decide when a person is dead.
Brain death is the new one. Properly used and applied, it's 100% accurate (the case cited here is an egregious misapplication and should be prosecuted as attempted murder).
What brain death and circulatory death have in common is that the person is literally being kept alive by machines; remove the machines and the person will, within minutes, become absolutely and totally dead, by any definition you want. Even with the best machinery, turned up to 11, death will come within a week or 2, and when families insist on "doing everything" as is sometimes done, all it does is prolong the agony of loved ones. The patient doesn't know or care.
Any system can be abused but that does not exclude that system from proper use. There is big money in organ transplants, and proper vigilance can preserve all the good outcomes and eliminate the bad ones, if we have the willingness and resolve to keep everybody honest.
What I'm reading in the above comments, including mine, and Greg The Class Traitor at 10:03 AM, which I totally agree with, is that the technology for growing transplantable organs in a test tube (nutrient bath, whatever) needs to be accelerated. Every argument for and against "harvesting" human organs is negated if they can be grown to order.
Too be honest, I'm waiting for transplantable healthy teeth. As my dentists said, they were 5 years away when he was on dental school - 30 years ago. Sort of like fusion power had been since I was a teen. 5 years in the future, always has been, always will be,
donald said...
(“Do you not realize Mr Bulloch that we can eliminate the whole bill?)
remember!
they are Non Profits! they're NOT trying to make money,
just trying eliminate the whole bill! And pay their salaries.
And have access to private jets.
And miscellaneous expenses.
>Stephen A. Meigs said...
Anyway, as I do whenever studying a murder, a week or two after she died I looked up the dates for possible occult significance."
Interesting.
James K you make an excellent point.
My point, which I didn't make well, is that the analysis of the current situation you suggest would be a good issue for America's Newspaper of Record to pursue.
Instead we got a scary story from five years ago.
That's because that analysis just might be favorable to the Trump administration and is thus off-limits.
'Sort of like fusion power had been since I was a teen. 5 years in the future, always has been
...well Ed Belgey used to go around saying that about electric cars, too. Maybe there's a dentifrice Elon out there somewhere...
Wince said...
“Organ Leroy, at his organ again.”
I have to acknowledge the Fire signs, we, the few. The proud.
I canceled my donor thing on my license. In IL you are signed up if you dont cancel, like illegal voters. I don’t want ghouls drooling over my liver when I die. It offends me. If that hurts someone it’s not in me, but on the organ ghouls.
Proponents of censorship will want to ban these anti-organ donation posts because they will be against the public good. Thank God for freedom of speech. Thank God for Freedom.
“I hope when I’m gone and the ages shall roll,
My body will blacken and turn into coal.
Then I’ll look from the door of my heavenly home,
And pity the miner a diggin my bones.”
Or mining my organs.
Sing it, Merle.
The most intelligent people here know I am a bit of a progressive, so you may wonder why I don’t like organ donation. You would suspect I would agree with saving lives…but what lives, white? Jewish? As long as racism exists the colonizers can not have the organs of the oppressed. It’s that simple.
There has been a lot of talk here recently about how organ donation is not really good. I want to condemn all those posts as to providing organs to everyone, but not so much as to taking organs from donors.
I think we all agree that we should support the first without making any judgement about the second.
A progressive path and grade.
It's a strange world where "chunks" in the hair are cool and "streaks" aren't
टिप्पणी पोस्ट करा
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.