I don't follow Dolly Parton, but Johnny Cash and Roseanne Case September When It Comes is the top of the genre. Daughter and Father were estranged for a long while.
New superfund cleanup site in Texas thanks to clean solar power. Not nearly as clean burning as natural gas... https://x.com/JunkScience/status/2092957408838451515
Movie recommendation: Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare (2024) Violence? O yeah. It’s a Guy Ritchie film. Very loosely based on a real British World War II covert raid - Operation Postmaster. History, here, is used as a launching pad for an entertaining caper with good looking hyper competent oddballs, swaggering dialogue and a terrific score. For rent on Amazon Prime.
Yayoi Kusama passed! I am comforting myself with the fantasy that she's collaborating with David Lynch in whatever dimension they are presently located.
Video: "UK Home Office is now issuing a 9-page guide to asylum seekers, telling them they can't sexually harass women and that sex requires consent." Link to video
I haven't watched the video. And It's probably because after awhile, too much of this, I may start cheering for the invaders. I'm not there yet but I'm close. I can feel it. I only have so much fucks and sympathy to give. That maybe harsh and callous to say. But if you... you get your just desserts. Everybody does.
The light you see in the eclipse is actually 1.3 seconds old. There's a question how long it takes for the earth's shadow to reach the moon though. The shadow that you see may be 2.6 seconds old, counting the time that it takes for the absence of light to go from earth to moon and then back again. Assuming that the absence of light goes at the same speed as light.
Tropical Storm Dolly has formed over the south-central Atlantic, but hostile wind shear may threaten its survival close to the Caribbean. Downpours and rough seas are forecast for the Lesser Antilles regardless.
Atlantic storm names are established years in advance, with lists reused every six years unless a name is retired and replaced. Dolly was on that list and is not associated with the recent passing of the country music star.
Missed the partial moon eclipse. Does an eclipse sound like what Sam Harris is attempting to get me to do via his Waking Up meditation app? Attempt to turn my gaze around to see if I can take a look at my own gaze. This may be the most difficult thing I’ve ever attempted. He’s trying to get me to discover there’s really no me me. If there’s no me me, I don’t got to be me at the White House with a Swedish wife. I could be somebody else. Maybe that’s how people become great actors. They practice meditation. Instead of medication. I heard Brad Pitt is ‘drinking again’, a Johnny Mercer and Doris Tauber collaboration, sang by the marvelous Frank Sinatra.
"Donald Trump doesn’t have an accomplishment problem. Republicans have an information problem.
With the midterms coming, an astonishing number of Republican voters cannot name three things President Trump has accomplished. Which is remarkable when you consider that Donald Trump has accomplished more in a year and a half than any other president ever did in four. "
Ontario Premier Doug Ford is threatening to withhold Canadian electricity from the U.S. Vermont gets the lion’s share of their electricity from Ontario Power. Fortunately Vermont has thousands of windmills and solar panels on standby.
“Ontario Premier Doug Ford is threatening to withhold Canadian electricity from the U.S. Vermont gets the lion’s share of their electricity from Ontario Power”
“ Ontario Premier Doug Ford is threatening to withhold Canadian electricity from the U.S. Vermont gets the lion’s share of their electricity from Ontario Power.”
I guess you can’t look to politicians, at least Canadian ones, for any form of intelligence at all. The pipelines that carry Western Canadian oil to Ontario and east run through the US and renter Canada at Sarnia ON. So if Canada cuts off electricity the US could cut off Canadian oil to Eastern Canada. Making the whole thing even more silly. Don’t ask a politician to be rational I guess.
Doctors say that measles can kill young children. A guy who snorts cocaine off toilet seats and drives around with dead bear cubs in his car says they'll be fine as long as they eat enough beef tallow. For busy parents, it can be hard to know who to trust.
Doctors say a bucket of water can kill young children, ~ 30 per year. It's more than 10X as deadly as measles, and Trump has done nothing to stop it. Too busy killing school kids in Iran.
"The state's claim of two measles deaths in Pennsylvania in 2026 is disputed and unconfirmed. The coroner attributed the infant's death to a spleen laceration, the second death is unverified, and the CDC has flagged discrepancies."
This AI (Brave AI) told me the measles deaths were fact, until I challenged it. Then it apologized and told me the truth. You really have to challenge everything. There are 10 lies for every truth out there, and that might be a lie too.
The two measles cases were in Lancaster County, which has large numbers of Old Order Amish living there. The Amish are not doctrinaire about not vaccinating their children, but they do vaccinate their kids at a much lower rate than regular people. Until I know more about who died and why, I’ll do what Governor Shapiro should have done and withhold judgement.
I had the measles in grade school. I don't remember it being that bad. Had the mumps too, twice. Didn't get chicken pox till I was in my 30's. That was an quite an experience.
The odds of a child dying of measles in the U.S. is 1 in 100 million. In most years, the observed rate is literally zero. In 2026, there have been zero confirmed deaths from measles.
It's an admission of the success of the Trump administration in eliminating every serious threat to Americans, leaving only this for the Democrats to be on them about. I don't agree with the Dems' obvious flattery of the administration. There is still work to be done in other areas.
Indefinitely Extended Excursion™️'s 9:15 CT comment is copied word-for-word from this 7:25 ET Tweet by NYTPitchbot (@DougJBallon). Unless of course, both were copied from some previous tweet. Either way, it was copied, and yet it has no quotation marks, no link, and no hint that it is not original.
If this were my site, and if it were technologically possible to ban individual commenters, that would be a lifetime ban. As it is, all I can do is point out the fact, and the inescapable conclusion that IEE is (to put it politely) a contemptible swine, who needs to bugger off somewhere else like BlueSky and never come back.
@ChrisMartzWX "I think that Trump renaming Lake Ontario to Lake America is pointless and stupid.
Wanna know what else I think is dumb?
The fact left-wingers are triggered about this after they spent the last decade plus renaming sports teams, public schools and universities, streets and highways, food and condiment brands, and redefining half the dictionary altogether."
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Encourage Althouse by making a donation:
Make a 1-time donation or set up a monthly donation of any amount you choose:
৪৯টি মন্তব্য:
I don't follow Dolly Parton, but Johnny Cash and Roseanne Case September When It Comes is the top of the genre. Daughter and Father were estranged for a long while.
The queen died and then the king died, is just facts. Then the king died of a broken heart is a story. Wife June Cash died 3 months before Johnny.
New superfund cleanup site in Texas thanks to clean solar power. Not nearly as clean burning as natural gas... https://x.com/JunkScience/status/2092957408838451515
CNN’s efforts to honor Dolly Parton included a clip of a Parton impersonator.
Maybe they didn’t like “9 to 5”?
Duck! A goose. Flying yonder. Maybe.
Thank you, CBS News - for a fantastic job on a tribute to Dolly
Parton.
Link here
(zero politics - no pro Hack D soviet BS or slime)
GoSpace - terrible.
The Soviet Dems are following Chi Com orders and getting rid of Natural Gas all over the place.
Movie recommendation:
Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare (2024) Violence? O yeah. It’s a Guy Ritchie film. Very loosely based on a real British World War II covert raid - Operation Postmaster. History, here, is used as a launching pad for an entertaining caper with good looking hyper competent oddballs, swaggering dialogue and a terrific score. For rent on Amazon Prime.
Excellent film pared with man from uncle a 60s period piece
Yayoi Kusama passed! I am comforting myself with the fantasy that she's collaborating with David Lynch in whatever dimension they are presently located.
A Reminder to all that it is a required paramount moral duty to DETEST Jane Fonda.
Video: "UK Home Office is now issuing a 9-page guide to asylum seekers, telling them they can't sexually harass women and that sex requires consent." Link to video
I haven't watched the video. And It's probably because after awhile, too much of this, I may start cheering for the invaders. I'm not there yet but I'm close. I can feel it. I only have so much fucks and sympathy to give. That maybe harsh and callous to say. But if you... you get your just desserts. Everybody does.
Surprisingly it's absolutely clear in Central Ohio. Usually any celestial event draws rain.
The light you see in the eclipse is actually 1.3 seconds old. There's a question how long it takes for the earth's shadow to reach the moon though. The shadow that you see may be 2.6 seconds old, counting the time that it takes for the absence of light to go from earth to moon and then back again. Assuming that the absence of light goes at the same speed as light.
"Assuming that the absence of light goes at the same speed as light."
If a distant light is turned off, you don't know it until the last photons the source emitted, which travel at the speed of light, reach you, so yes.
Nice eclipse in northern Wisconsin.
Hello, Dolly!
Tropical Storm Dolly has formed over the south-central Atlantic, but hostile wind shear may threaten its survival close to the Caribbean. Downpours and rough seas are forecast for the Lesser Antilles regardless.
Atlantic storm names are established years in advance, with lists reused every six years unless a name is retired and replaced. Dolly was on that list and is not associated with the recent passing of the country music star.
Missed the partial moon eclipse. Does an eclipse sound like what Sam Harris is attempting to get me to do via his Waking Up meditation app? Attempt to turn my gaze around to see if I can take a look at my own gaze. This may be the most difficult thing I’ve ever attempted. He’s trying to get me to discover there’s really no me me. If there’s no me me, I don’t got to be me at the White House with a Swedish wife. I could be somebody else. Maybe that’s how people become great actors. They practice meditation. Instead of medication. I heard Brad Pitt is ‘drinking again’, a Johnny Mercer and Doris Tauber collaboration, sang by the marvelous Frank Sinatra.
"Donald Trump doesn’t have an accomplishment problem. Republicans have an information problem.
With the midterms coming, an astonishing number of Republican voters cannot name three things President Trump has accomplished. Which is remarkable when you consider that Donald Trump has accomplished more in a year and a half than any other president ever did in four. "
https://revolver.news/2026/08/trumps-top-25-achievements-the-list-every-conservative-should-know-and-use/
** rhhardin said...Assuming that the absence of light goes at the same speed as light.**
How could it be otherwise? But imagine it were—that the absence of light travelled at a different speed—what would the gap (or the overlap) look like?
PA Governor Josh “Sinking Fast” Shapiro says there were two measles deaths in Lancaster County. Coroner says nope.
Shades of Covid.
What if light doesn’t move? See Richard Feynman.
Link to poster advertising an upcoming Dolly Parton’s biopic on Netflix (viewer discretion is advised. Images may be disturbing to some viewers)
Ontario Premier Doug Ford is threatening to withhold Canadian electricity from the U.S. Vermont gets the lion’s share of their electricity from Ontario Power. Fortunately Vermont has thousands of windmills and solar panels on standby.
Headline on Legal Insurrection: “Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson targets companies working with ICE, Israel”
Jaq and RCO found an ally.
https://legalinsurrection.com/2026/08/chicago-mayor-brandon-johnson-targets-companies-working-with-ice-israel/
There's no sound going from earth to the moon, does the absence of sound travel at the speed of sound?
“Ontario Premier Doug Ford is threatening to withhold Canadian electricity from the U.S. Vermont gets the lion’s share of their electricity from Ontario Power”
…meth labs hardest hit
If only Jaqs Jew hatred could generate electricity. Vermont would have gigawatts and Jaq would be a hero.
In South Korea - the corrupt global LEFT have seized power. The people know it.
The vile evil corrupt Democrap party / corrupt left are now hunting Barron.
“ There's no sound going from earth to the moon, does the absence of sound travel at the speed of sound?”
Ha! The speed of sound in a vacuum is undefined, so that line of reasoning is ill considered.
You can say that space is not a perfect vacuum and has a small non uniform sonic velocity, but that contradicts your initial claim.
“ Ontario Premier Doug Ford is threatening to withhold Canadian electricity from the U.S. Vermont gets the lion’s share of their electricity from Ontario Power.”
I guess you can’t look to politicians, at least Canadian ones, for any form of intelligence at all. The pipelines that carry Western Canadian oil to Ontario and east run through the US and renter Canada at Sarnia ON. So if Canada cuts off electricity the US could cut off Canadian oil to Eastern Canada. Making the whole thing even more silly. Don’t ask a politician to be rational I guess.
Doctors say that measles can kill young children. A guy who snorts cocaine off toilet seats and drives around with dead bear cubs in his car says they'll be fine as long as they eat enough beef tallow. For busy parents, it can be hard to know who to trust.
Per capita, Canada 2026: approximately 25 measles cases per million Canadians, versus about 8 per million Americans—roughly three times the US rate.
Apparently RFK jr is much admired in Canada.
the 2 cases of measles in PA - not so much. Again - manipulative reporting. Josh Shapiro is a hack.
Doctors say a bucket of water can kill young children, ~ 30 per year. It's more than 10X as deadly as measles, and Trump has done nothing to stop it. Too busy killing school kids in Iran.
See, it's easy. Even I can do it.
"The state's claim of two measles deaths in Pennsylvania in 2026 is disputed and unconfirmed. The coroner attributed the infant's death to a spleen laceration, the second death is unverified, and the CDC has flagged discrepancies."
This AI (Brave AI) told me the measles deaths were fact, until I challenged it. Then it apologized and told me the truth. You really have to challenge everything. There are 10 lies for every truth out there, and that might be a lie too.
The two measles cases were in Lancaster County, which has large numbers of Old Order Amish living there. The Amish are not doctrinaire about not vaccinating their children, but they do vaccinate their kids at a much lower rate than regular people. Until I know more about who died and why, I’ll do what Governor Shapiro should have done and withhold judgement.
I had the measles in grade school. I don't remember it being that bad. Had the mumps too, twice. Didn't get chicken pox till I was in my 30's. That was an quite an experience.
The odds of a child dying of measles in the U.S. is 1 in 100 million. In most years, the observed rate is literally zero. In 2026, there have been zero confirmed deaths from measles.
It's an admission of the success of the Trump administration in eliminating every serious threat to Americans, leaving only this for the Democrats to be on them about. I don't agree with the Dems' obvious flattery of the administration. There is still work to be done in other areas.
Indefinitely Extended Excursion™️'s 9:15 CT comment is copied word-for-word from this 7:25 ET Tweet by NYTPitchbot (@DougJBallon). Unless of course, both were copied from some previous tweet. Either way, it was copied, and yet it has no quotation marks, no link, and no hint that it is not original.
If this were my site, and if it were technologically possible to ban individual commenters, that would be a lifetime ban. As it is, all I can do is point out the fact, and the inescapable conclusion that IEE is (to put it politely) a contemptible swine, who needs to bugger off somewhere else like BlueSky and never come back.
"Indefinitely Extended Excursion™️'s 9:15 CT comment is copied word-for-word..."
Wait till Xi finds out how lazy this drone is. Someone is gonna get in trouble with the boss.
Dr. Weevil - wow. Conclusive evidence. 10:52
yeah - I too think bots should be banned.
It's just a happy coincidence that the corrupt leftist machine (esp in PA) are gearing up for massive state mandated vaccine requirements.
Sorry, I deleted and reposted to fix a typo, and forgot that that deletes links: Here's the proof.
Wendy - the top X worth a repeat:
@ChrisMartzWX
"I think that Trump renaming Lake Ontario to Lake America is pointless and stupid.
Wanna know what else I think is dumb?
The fact left-wingers are triggered about this after they spent the last decade plus renaming sports teams, public schools and universities, streets and highways, food and condiment brands, and redefining half the dictionary altogether."
and tearing down historical statues.
একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.