The quote appears in the obituary of another celebrity hairdresser: "Brad Johns, Celebrity Colorist Known for His 'Buttery Chunks,' Dies at 70/He made blonde highlights a fashion sensation. But when he shared details about his relationship with Carolyn Bessette Kennedy, he ran into trouble" (NYT gift link).
"Buttery chunks" is good. Have a name for your something more than nothing. And why be modest like Kenneth? Why not be prideful?
"I’m really proud that I made hair buttery instead of ashy. I brought these words to hair color: butter, caramel, cinnamon. These words made people smile, and so they would come to me, asking for chunks, chunks, chunks. I made highlights that weren’t these teeny-weeny capellinis, but big golden chunks, like a child at the beach would have."
When you think of hair, why not think of eating? Even though people hate hair in their food and food in their hair.
A word about his parents (he grew up poor):
"He bought his parents a house and gave each one a credit card that he paid. His father used his once, after first inquiring if he might buy a new tire. Mr. Johns told him to please get four. His mother was more adventurous: She spent thousands on evening gowns, which Mr. Johns discovered years later, hanging unworn in her closet."I wondered if Kenneth grew up rich. Perhaps the rich/poor distinction explained the (seeming) difference between the 2 men, one modest and one exuberantly proud. But Wikipedia tells us that Kenneth Batelle's father was a shoe salesman who abandoned the mother and son "when Kenneth was 12, leaving their son to support his family through cooking and washing dishes, selling beer and working as an elevator operator."

२१ टिप्पण्या:
"At the Oribe salon, a multimillion-dollar showplace on Fifth Avenue decked out with Venetian chandeliers, gold chairs and a mirrored ceiling,"
Wait a minute here. We were told that is not acceptable.
This article makes me want to blow (dry) chunks ...
Blogger doing weird things with the comments..... Blog header shows 5 comments, but only 2 are visible.
The other three are the dates with no comment attached.
Ghost posts?
Hair stylists should rage against the dyeing of the light and offer buttery chunks against the parapets of night.
If he just died at age 70, he must have been born in 1955 or 1956, which would have made him 8 years old at the time of Kennedy's assassination. He didn't style First Lady Jackie Kennedy. He didn't style former First Lady Jackie Kennedy's hair. At best, he styled Former First Lady Jackie Onassis' hair.
I guess that it should be that he bought “each of his parents” a house or there is more to the story.
It’s hard for people who have to balance their checkbook every week to understand what it is like to have more money than you could ever need, and I am not sure that it is pride.
Two different people, rosebud...
Ann was highlighting a poor boy quoted in another man's obit (the dead 70 year old) but she was curious whether the man quoted grew up poor, so she took you down one of her confusing rabbit holes...nttawwt. it's her name maybe... the docs are watching that. Not a stokre, they say, just disassociation and wandering thoughts...
She might have pegged with ADHD were she younger and male...
Fwiw, ann,
nobody likes to eat hair...
>"I’m really proud that I made hair buttery instead of ashy. I brought these words to hair color: butter, caramel, cinnamon."<
Wow! He will surely go down in the annals of history.
Thanks for all the gift links, @althouse, which I have previously found worth reading. But I can no longer read anything in the NYT any more than I could swallow a live mouse. In reviewing the movie NAZA the Times has declared in surprise that "Israelis largely still view themselves as the victims of October 7".
Without those buttery chunks, Carolyn Bessette would not have been Carolyn Bessette Kennedy.
In the mid-’80s, I provided startup capital to two friends who opened their own salon businesses—one in downtown Minneapolis and the other in a well-to-do western suburb. Both businesses did exceedingly well.
They were excellent businessmen first and talented hairstylists second. Their forward-thinking business models and sound business plans were a big part of what drove their success. It was an interesting industry, populated by plenty of interesting and colorful personalities.
I normally don’t invest in friends’ businesses, but their business models and plans were compelling enough to make an exception.
MN - explains a lot. Bot.
"I'd like to be a hairdresser. Or two. I'd like to be two hairdressers" - Barry Wom
Bessette was boinking her hairdresser? Did he overlap with the CK underwear model/Baywatch boyfriend Bergin, who overlapped with her husband?
…gonna wash that man right outta my hair, gonna…
After reading what the male Kennedys did I would think that the Kennedy women could screw anyone they wanted to.
टिप्पणी पोस्ट करा
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.