२२ सप्टेंबर, २०२६

Sunrise.

IMG_0775

IMG_0781

IMG_0783

IMG_0790

५७ टिप्पण्या:

Leland म्हणाले...

Red sky in morning, reminds me of this video I once watched…

wildswan म्हणाले...

The article by Nikole Hannah-Jones left me wondering why she didn't check her daughter's homework. I don't want to pile on the woman - this was her child and we can be sure she did her best. But her best was flawed in ways she doesn't seem aware of. She never looked into phonics, discipline or the effect of the teacher's unions. And she never tried to help her daughter with her homework. Checking homework should be a given when your child is in a bad school. I just onder why she never did.

Aggie म्हणाले...

The story wasn't primarily about her daughter's experience with a bad school system and the resultant poor educational result. The story was primarily about N H-J's harrowing experience with a bad school system and poor educational result.

Her daughter's saga, although potentially life-determining, was only an element in the bigger and more important story: N H-J's experiences and perceptions of what she calls a racist system. No time for helping with homework.

Of course most parents would quickly conclude this is really bad parenting, neglectful even. But hey - what a story, eh? 'Fighting for Every Black Child'.

Curious George म्हणाले...

"this was her child and we can be sure she did her best."

I can't.

Mason G म्हणाले...

If that's the best she could do for her own child, just guess what she'd be willing to do for yours.

Mark म्हणाले...
ही टिप्पणी लेखकाना हलविली आहे.
Indefinitely Extended Excursion™️ म्हणाले...

The most appropriate memorial in DC to Trump would be to rename one of the public restrooms in West Potomac Park in his honor. Maybe his mega-donors can chip in to add gold plating to some of the toilets. We could have a "debt clock" in the restroom and a list of Trump's business failures, bankruptcies and marriages. It could serve as a potent reminder to all that you can get everything you want and still be miserable. Maybe somewhere down the line, someone can use the byproduct of the restroom as fertilizer for something more constructive and useful to the world.

Trump doesn't think he owes anything to anyone. However, all he has are debts. If he won't pay them back, a revitalized America needs to ensure that he and his sycophants do. One way or another his debts are going to become ours, and part of "owning it" is making sure that Trump's contribution is properly memorialized. Even though Trump wishes it were otherwise, it will be left for others to serve up the final word for both him and us.

rehajm म्हणाले...

…I want to highlight a success story I figured was somewhere between goofy waste and a corrupt boondoggle- animal ecoducts, those bridges and tunnels for critters to use to cross
the interstate. Thinking they were another creative waste of money my first surprise was watching a deer use the one North of Sheboygan. He’s using it! I squealed. Apparently it doesn’t take much to get everything to use them, cuts collisions to almost nill everywhere they’re installed. Well I’ll be…

Curious George म्हणाले...

Tough 24 hours for Chicago sports fans. Caleb Williams (hammy) and Tyson Bagent (concussion) likely out Monday night for the Bears. Alex Bregman hit in the face by a check swing foul standing in the on-deck circle. Broken bones in his face.

Breezy म्हणाले...

I don’t know the 1619 lady’s background but I believe a good student begets a good student and vice versa. If a parent was not studious and merit driven, their child has no role model from whom to learn how to do well. Our parents expected good grades, legitimate ones, and we expected the same from our children. I imagine it’s a white supremacy flag now. That’s too bad.

Sebastian म्हणाले...

What Aggie said: it's remarkable that the NHJ saga doesn't say anything about her helping her daughter with homework, making up informal exercises, and so on. Just get a tutor!

Iman म्हणाले...

Fantastic pics!

Iman म्हणाले...

Ms. 1619 doesn’t sound like much of a parent.

Michael Fitzgerald म्हणाले...

My mother used to say that- "I oughta have my head examined,"

Jamie म्हणाले...

I thought it was a given that among a decent number of the activist well-intentioned*, the needs of a faceless collective always took precedence over the needs of the face-ful who live in their homes with them. This characteristic is so common, I think, that the Catholic Church even warned its adherents, "Don't give so much to charity that you become a charity case yourself."

* I am reluctantly giving whatshername, the 1619 woman, the benefit of the doubt for being well-intentioned. I am aware that it assumes facts not in evidence, or whatever the legal phraseology is.

Peachy+2 म्हणाले...

IEE - the DC sewage flow could be named after every democrat who fails us. That's a lot.

FullMoon म्हणाले...

"Wildswan said...
The article by Nikole Hannah-Jones left me wondering why she didn't check her daughter's homework."

She eventually contacted school and asked to see child's homework to determine why child was poor with reading and math.

Unless things have changed, teachers return graded homework to students to take home to parents. Either she paid no attention, or teacher didn't return it. In either case, why would she expect teachers to keep all students homework?

Peachy+2 म्हणाले...

I found IEE Jaq Tuqr DD upChuck Greta

Peachy+2 म्हणाले...

Democrat Party pollution control

Lem Vibe Bandit म्हणाले...

These are terrific pictures. If I had to pick one, I say the 3rd down.

Maynard म्हणाले...

The DNC trolls have invaded Instapundit.

Mason G म्हणाले...

FULL REMARKS: Trump Addresses The United Nations General Assembly In New York City

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42l5-4WG_Q0&t=2s

This is what the left considers "dementia".

wildswan म्हणाले...

"FullMoon said...
"Wildswan said...
The article by Nikole Hannah-Jones left me wondering why she didn't check her daughter's homework.
[Full Moon said]
She eventually contacted school and asked to see child's homework to determine why child was poor with reading and math."

The point I was trying to make was that it took Nikole Hannah-Jones years to notice the problem. Over a period of years, she never ever looked at her child's homework. Yet she knew she had sent the child to a bad school. A bad school has bad teachers. Why didn't she check on what was being taught - and learned? What's the point of challenging those teachers about their neglect when she herself was completely neglectful?

techsan म्हणाले...

It's sunrise pics on Hobbit Day...and evening...so, Bilbo's Last Song:

Day is ended, dim my eyes,
But journey long before me lies.
Farewell, friends! I hear the call.
The ship's beside the stony wall.
Foam is white and waves are grey;
Beyond the sunset leads my way.
Foam is salt, the wind is free;
I hear the rising of the Sea.

Farewell, friends! The sails are set,
The wind is east, the moorings fret.
Shadows long before me lie,
Beneath the ever-bending sky,
But islands lie behind the Sun
That I shall raise ere all is done;
Lands there are to west of West,
Where night is quiet and sleep is rest.

Guided by the Lonely Star,
Beyond the utmost harbour-bar,
I’ll find the heavens fair and free,
And beaches of the Starlit Sea.
Ship, my ship! I seek the West,
And fields and mountains ever blest.
Farewell to Middle-earth at last.
I see the Star above my mast!”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

Indefinitely Extended Excursion™️ म्हणाले...

Trump has a genius for compartmentalization. One wonders if the walls he has erected in his memory allow for any communication between the different segments. His maladministration is a reflection of his own incapacity.

The 25th Amendment might be Vance’s best option as Trump’s poll numbers tank. If they lose both houses it might be Vance’s only way to be president.

Aggie म्हणाले...

N H-J: '...We thought by sending Najya to a mostly low-income and Black school, we could help improve it for all the children there....'

In other words, maybe she was convinced that her mere association with the school, as a NYT journalist and Pulitzer Prize winner (NYT 1619 project), that her orbiting celebrity would cause the school to up its game and improve - that was all that was needed. The word is Hubris, I think, as well as self-importance. The same things are noted in some of the criticisms of the 1619 Project by the community of historians. A belief that personal opinions carry the weight of evidence, if the person with the opinion is important enough.

FullMoon म्हणाले...

Wildswan

You are correctt
My point is child brought graded homewrk home all the time and parents never looked at it

Big Mike म्हणाले...

“… this was her child and we can be sure she did her best.”

Really? I don’t see that Hannah-Jones gave a rat’s ass about her child.

hanuman_prodigious_leaper म्हणाले...

As if NYT even reported on NYC failing schools in past years?
NHJ should have checked their archival history going back to 1619?!

wendybar म्हणाले...

“You said, ‘Everybody should be equal.’ Well, everybody’s not equal. Some people are tall. Some people are short. Some people are musical. Some people are not. Some people have big breasts. Some people have no breasts. They’re different.”
“Don’t come into my house, which is a perfect house, and tell me, “Looks nice from the outside, but I’m going to change it inside to make it more of what we like: a more vanilla gray, everything muted colors. Look, that’s the way we should be living today.” Don’t come here to redecorate. You don’t like my house? Stay in your own house or find a different house.”

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2026/09/mic-drop-judge-judy-slams-america-haters-living/

john mosby म्हणाले...

Educated parents should be able to provide a lot of their kids' education completely passively, by just surrounding the kid with educated words and ideas.

I got a lot of my education from PBS and the news, because those are what my parents had playing in the house most of the time. Yes, yes, but this was 50 years ago, when those media were less blatantly biased. And they spoke correct Standard English around me. An environment like this should give you most of your language arts and history/social studies, plus at least descriptive/qualitative science (from NOVA, etc).

Quantitative math and science do have to be learned through doing the reps, under the supervision of a teacher (at school or at home) who makes the corrections and sends you back to do it again.

If this kid wasn't even building a vocabulary and grammar skills, these parents were really neglecting her. CC, JSM

hanuman_prodigious_leaper म्हणाले...

So what role for The Man Faraji in this tale?

wendybar म्हणाले...

He was just feeding the homeless. Why are do you want to punish him??


Nicholas Fondacaro
@NickFondacaro
Sunny Hostin brags about being a holdout juror that prevented The Butcher of Thompson Square Park from going to prison.
She admits "once he killed her, he chopped up her body parts, yes, boiled her body parts ... and fed her body parts to the unhoused."
link text

Humperdink म्हणाले...

Remember Hillary’s battle cry? “It takes a village to raise a child.” Apparently Nikole Hannah-Jones is waiting for the calvary to arrive. It will be a long wait.

narciso म्हणाले...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2026/09/22/trump-tells-burnham-look-again-at-terrible-chagos-deal/?

Marcus Bressler म्हणाले...

Wait, there were no report cards? Those were very effective in letting my parents know what classes I was goofing off in that resulted in bad grades and nightly homework sessions with my father -- who was none too pleased.

Leland म्हणाले...

“ If a parent was not studious and merit driven, their child has no role model from whom to learn how to do well.”

I understand the point but don’t fully agree. My sister-in-law was a mediocre student, but her three year old has the alphabet down, is good at name recall, and can do basic addition and subtraction. Her dad, my wife’s step-dad, never finished high-school and her mom dropped out of college, yet sister-in-law did incrementally better. My wife, having grown up in similar conditions, simply wanted a better life for herself so was motivated to study and work hard.

Generally, I think the point can hold.

Meanwhile, I recently listened to two different podcasts of young adults that are already leaders. Mike Rowe interviewed Ethan Thornton, the 22 year old founder of multi-billion dollar Mach Industries defense company. And Triggernometry interviewed Alex Browder, the 18 year old founder of the Global Cryptocurrency Laundering Datsbase and youngest person sanctioned by Russia (because he caught them and North Korea stealing and laundering cryptocurrencies).

Marcus Bressler म्हणाले...

I got A's in subjects I liked and worse grades in subjects that I had no interest in. I hated lab with a passion. My report cards reflected that. In my junior year in high school, I skipped biology 59 days and managed a D. In my senior year, we got to pick half-year classes. I took every "English" class I could manage: ten in all. I got A's in nine. I flunked Shakespeare. Turns out you cannot bullshit the test and essay questions if you skipped class and did not read the material. Cliff Notes were worthless. As a result, I was a half-credit short of graduating with my class and could not attend graduation ceremonies. And I was voted by my peers as "Most Likely To Succeed"! I know my parents were embarrassed, as was I when I still attend the post-graduation party alongside the inlet park. I had discovered that if you wanted to skip school, it was easier to skip the whole day and hang out at the beach rather than skip certain classes. They took roll then you would have different numbers for different classes in regards to attendance. Additionally, I could easily copy my father's handwriting and signature and I wrote every note from the very beginning, whether he wrote the original or not.

boatbuilder म्हणाले...

"However, all he has are debts. If he won't pay them back, a revitalized America needs to ensure that he and his sycophants do. One way or another his debts are going to become ours, and part of "owning it" is making sure that Trump's contribution is properly memorialized. Even though Trump wishes it were otherwise, it will be left for others to serve up the final word for both him and us."

Asking once again: Who is or are these wonderful public-spirited politicians who are taking a hard line against increasing debt? What is the plan? And how is it all Trump's fault?

https://www.macrotrends.net/2496/national-debt-growth-by-year

I've asked you these questions numerous times. You still haven't provided an answer to any of them.

boatbuilder म्हणाले...
ही टिप्पणी लेखकाना हलविली आहे.
Indefinitely Extended Excursion™️ म्हणाले...

@BB: Both parties and multiple administrations own decades of deficits. But Trump doesn’t get a free pass. CBO estimates his 2025 reconciliation law will add $4.7 trillion to federal deficits over the next decade—about 20% of the $23.1 trillion in deficits CBO projects for that period. That’s a substantial deterioration, even if it isn’t remotely the same thing as saying Trump created the national debt.

And Democrats shouldn’t pretend they have solved this either. A handful of Democratic fiscal hawks are pushing deficit targets, fiscal commissions and spending/revenue reforms, but there is still no comprehensive, politically viable Democratic plan that specifies the painful choices required to stabilize the debt.

So the honest argument isn’t “it’s all Trump’s fault.” It’s that the debt crisis is bipartisan and structural—and Trump has made the projected trajectory materially worse. If we’re serious about fixing it, both parties need to stop blaming the other and start identifying the taxes, spending and entitlement changes they’re actually willing to support.

boatbuilder म्हणाले...

"A handful of Democratic fiscal hawks are pushing deficit targets, fiscal commissions and spending/revenue reforms."

Who might those people be, Weasel?
Are there no Republican "deficit hawks?"

What is the plan, Weasel? "Fiscal commissions?"

Who are you voting for to cut debt?

Indefinitely Extended Excursion™️ म्हणाले...

Let Google be your friend..

n.n म्हणाले...

"Who are you voting for to cut debt?"

Whether it's outsourcing or redistributive change schemes, the choice is clear: none of the above.

Indefinitely Extended Excursion™️ म्हणाले...

Trump’s net worth hit $7 billion in 2026. That’s 3x where it was in early 2024, according to Forbes data.

Here’s How Much Donald Trump Is Worth ~ Forbes
https://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexander/article/the-definitive-networth-of-donaldtrump/

𝘞𝘩𝘢𝘵’𝘴 𝘋𝘰𝘯𝘢𝘭𝘥 𝘛𝘳𝘶𝘮𝘱 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘵𝘩? 𝘌𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘴 𝘢𝘯 𝘰𝘱𝘪𝘯𝘪𝘰𝘯, 𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘍𝘰𝘳𝘣𝘦𝘴 𝘩𝘢𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘴𝘸𝘦𝘳: $7 𝘣𝘪𝘭𝘭𝘪𝘰𝘯, 𝘢𝘤𝘤𝘰𝘳𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘰 𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘮𝘰𝘴𝘵 𝘳𝘦𝘤𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘵𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺, 𝘶𝘱𝘥𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘥 𝘪𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘮𝘣𝘦𝘳. 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘪𝘥𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘪𝘴 𝘢𝘯 𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘥 $2.7 𝘣𝘪𝘭𝘭𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘳𝘪𝘤𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘯 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘰𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 2024 𝘦𝘭𝘦𝘤𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯, 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘤𝘢𝘴𝘩𝘦𝘥 𝘪𝘯 𝘰𝘯 𝘤𝘳𝘺𝘱𝘵𝘰 𝘷𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘦𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘦𝘢𝘴 𝘥𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘴. 𝘕𝘰 𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘪𝘯 𝘈𝘮𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘩𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘳𝘺 𝘩𝘢𝘴 𝘮𝘢𝘥𝘦 𝘴𝘰 𝘮𝘶𝘤𝘩 𝘮𝘰𝘯𝘦𝘺 𝘰𝘯 𝘱𝘰𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘪𝘤𝘴.

boatbuilder म्हणाले...

You have consistently harped about Trump's alleged responsibility for the $40 Trillion national debt.
If you cannot answer simple, straightforward questions about what is possible, politically, to address this supposedly major concern of yours, you should stop snarking about it.
But you already know that and you are just being a disingenuous troll.
By the way, the 2 charts attached seem to indicate that, since the BBB became law, a) revenues are up, and b) spending is down (or at least flat).
https://www.macrotrends.net/3135/federal-tax-receipts
https://www.macrotrends.net/3978/federal-government-spending.

boatbuilder म्हणाले...

Uh huh. Time to change the subject...

boatbuilder म्हणाले...

Google doesn't tell me who YOU are voting for. Stop weaseling. Or shut up.

Rustygrommet म्हणाले...

Gosh, rich. You mean the public bathroom stalls with your name written on them and what you're willing to do for two dollars? Those stalls already belong to you.

Indefinitely Extended Excursion™️ म्हणाले...

You're not very good at this are you? Where I vote -- there are no "Blue Dog Democrats” or fiscally responsible Republicans on the ballot.

If the question is which Democrats are actually proposing concrete fiscal restraints rather than simply criticizing Republican deficits, there is a fairly small but identifiable group.
.
Google tells me:
Tom Suozzi (NY) and other Democrats in the bipartisan Problem Solvers Caucus are advocating a fiscal framework built around a bipartisan fiscal commission and sustainable-budget legislation. The caucus explicitly says both parties contributed to the problem and that neither can solve it alone.

Jared Golden (ME) and Marie Gluesenkamp Perez (WA) — leaders of the House Blue Dog Coalition. In February 2026, the Blue Dogs endorsed a bipartisan resolution establishing a goal of reducing the deficit to 3% of GDP by 2030.

Jeanne Shaheen (NH) is a notable Senate Democrat on this issue. She has backed the bipartisan Fiscal Commission Act, which would require a bipartisan commission to develop legislation to stabilize the debt-to-GDP ratio and improve the solvency of federal trust funds.

Scott Peters (CA), Jared Moskowitz (FL), Ed Case (HI), Brad Schneider (IL), Greg Landsman (OH) and others have also participated in bipartisan fiscal legislation.

You may ask: “Who are the Republicans that supporting deficit reduction?”
Ron Johnson (R-WI) He has repeatedly argued that the federal government must address the structural drivers of debt, rather than simply trimming discretionary spending.

Rand Paul (R-KY) — an outspoken fiscal hawk who has opposed deficit-financed spending under both Republican and Democratic administrations.

Jodey Arrington (R-TX) — chairman of the House Budget Committee. He has advocated moving away from simply targeting nominal dollar savings and toward a 3% deficit-to-GDP target, which he describes as a measure of fiscal sustainability.

Kevin Cramer (R-ND) — joined independent Angus King in sponsoring a bipartisan resolution targeting a deficit of 3% of GDP by 2030.

Mike Lee (R-UT) has also consistently advocated significant reductions in federal spending and has joined Scott and Ron Johnson in opposing earmarks as part of a broader fiscal-discipline agenda. ~ Thank you Google!

boatbuilder म्हणाले...

"You're not very good at this are you? Where I vote -- there are no "Blue Dog Democrats” or fiscally responsible Republicans on the ballot."

Yup. Sort of makes my point, doesn't it?

Indefinitely Extended Excursion™️ म्हणाले...

Trump didn’t create America’s debt problem, but Trump and today’s Republican Congress now own the responsibility for what they do about it. CBO estimates their 2025 tax-and-spending law will add $4.7 trillion to deficits over the next decade—about 20% of the $23.1 trillion in projected deficits. Most of that increase comes from tax cuts, partially offset by spending reductions.

So here’s the question for Republicans: If you’re serious about reducing the deficit, what specific taxes are you willing to raise, what spending are you willing to cut, and what changes to entitlements are you willing to support?

“Waste, fraud and abuse” isn’t a $2-trillion-a-year solution. Show us the actual numbers.

Narr म्हणाले...

My father was a college grad, and my mother had a couple of years, but neither was much of a reader and he died early anyway leaving her with four sons (13, 9[me]. 6, and 3).

She wanted us all to make good grades and did her best but had little time or energy to spend on our homework--especially after the oldest learned to climb out of his bedroom window at night, hot-wire her car, and wreck it (twice that I recall). Those antics and others eventually earned him a choice between two years probation and the army (and I got my own bedroom when he left for Ft, Campbell).

I was a voracious reader, partly because it was a way to escape the unhappy chaos, and partly I think because interests and temperament sometimes make knight-moves down the generations and both of my parents had one scholarly/intellectual sister.

None of which made me make good grades except in the subjects I liked.

Narr म्हणाले...

As it turned out, I was more of a homework checker for the two youngest than Ma was. In particular, I had to teach my next brother Teh New Math, which required me to figure it out first. Ironically, he went on to master maths in ways I never did. He was also the only other book-reader among us, but never as widely or as many as I.

Josephbleau म्हणाले...

The nice thing about the Hanna Jones controversy is that absolutely no one is surprised that NYC schools stink and are a waste of time, and offer no intellectual achievement. The only issue is that a privileged child who should have been allowed to escape the schools was not allowed to do so.

That is hilarious, but sad. No one cares about the other kids.

Kai Akker म्हणाले...

--- the 2 charts

I am just filching this tiny piece of your excellent comment, Boatbuilder, because of its vocabulary. The CHART of the Dow Jones Composite (all three Dow averages) has broken down from its 3-year uptrend. It did this in the selling following the Fed rate hike last Wednesday. The $DJC then tested that breakdown point and has since been moving lower. A bearish technical signal, fwiw.

The question lurking in the background is -- if the major stock averages have indeed started to correct those three years of gains, is that all? Or is there a serious possibility that it will end up correcting the 20 years of gains of which the last three are just the final top -- the icing on the FourFeds cake?

Jaq म्हणाले...

I don’t know who to believe. Rubio, who said that if Iran gets a nuke, we will be paying $20 a gallon for diesel, or the people who say we have all the oil we need right here. I think Rubio is pulling that one out of his butt.

टिप्पणी पोस्ट करा

Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.