"He posed in profile before striding down the far side of the slope, leaving us to revise our view of reindeer: not holiday mascots, but bosses of the tundra."
From "Where the Reindeer Roam: Trekking 67 Miles in Arctic Sweden/On a hike along the Kungsleden Trail, or 'king’s trail,' in Swedish Lapland, a writer encounters majestic animals, challenging terrain and communal moments of sheer wonder" (NYT gift link (with nice pics)).

१० टिप्पण्या:
It says its a gift link, but you have to create an account to look at it. I don't want yet another account. I'm annoyed. I wanted to see the pretty pics.
"Ladies, I am ready to reproduce."
That's almost like an Elon Musk tweet.
"I am Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner and Blitzen."
Odd story. Not a word about global warming or Trump.
***Preferred terminology: The respectful and correct designation for the people is Sámi (or Saami), and their traditional homeland is called Sápmi. While the historical term "Lapland" remains in use for certain official geographic provinces, using "Lapp" to describe the people is widely regarded as disrespectful.***
Is this where "horny" got its most common connotation?
I don't think the stags are that polite, though.
@Howard The article never uses "Lapp" and uses "Sami" repeatedly to refer to the people. "Lapland" is used to refer to the land.
I've always heard that after you get to the last Lapp, you've reached the Finnish line.
Doe, a deer, a female deer.
That was the first I had heard that lapp was considered slur-ish. I wonder if Pocahontas, senator from Massachusetts, is part Sami, giving her high cheekbones an actual indigenous source.
My Norwegian grandmother's grandparents were from north of the Arctic circle and she definitely had a native American look about her face.
Everybody glazes the apex predators. I'm in it for the apex prey. A moose, a hippo... there are some salad-eaters out there that will wreck the shit out of any predator that gets the wrong end of them.
टिप्पणी पोस्ट करा
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.