৭ সেপ্টেম্বর, ২০২৬

"Mr. Godin — 'pie-eyed, pudding-faced and potbellied,' in one writer’s description — was a pain in the derrière most of his life, beginning in Catholic school when he complained to the priests about his lackluster sex life."

From "Noël Godin, Prankster Who Threw Pies at the Powerful, Dies at 80/Splattering figures like Bill Gates, Jean-Luc Godard and Bernard-Henri Lévy, he perfected the art of using whipped cream as a form of protest" (NYT gift link).

A quote from Godin: 
I have always remained true to the spirit of May ’68. I still live for that time and have always advocated direct sabotage, the sabotage of the professions, the sabotage of the roles into which we are trapped by our day-to-day boredom."
I thought pie-throwers had all switched to shaving cream — just a pie tin full of shaving cream. Did Godin remain pure?
"We use only the finest patisserie, ordered at the last minute from small local bakers,” Mr. Godin told The Observer, a British newspaper, in 1995. "Quality is everything. If things go wrong, we eat them."

২২টি মন্তব্য:

Smilin' Jack বলেছেন...

"Noël Godin, Prankster Who Threw Pies at the Powerful, Dies at 80/Splattering figures like Bill Gates, Jean-Luc Godard and Bernard-Henri Lévy, he perfected the art of using whipped cream as a form of protest"

This asshole is a habitual criminal. He should have died in prison.

RideSpaceMountain বলেছেন...

"I have always remained true to the spirit of May ’68."

Affluenza, envy, narcissism and whipped cream. The spirit of '68.

RCOCEAN II বলেছেন...

Another word for "Pieing" someone is physical assault. I hope this asshole was put in prison. Or maybe someone beat the shit out of him.

RCOCEAN II বলেছেন...

When the press doesn't like someone and does this they're labeled "full of hate". But if they like you - you're a "Prankster".

Someone throwing a pie in your face is also sending a message - Next time it could be a bullet.

RCOCEAN II বলেছেন...

"I still live for that time and have always advocated direct sabotage, the sabotage of the professions, the sabotage of the roles into which we are trapped by our day-to-day boredom."

Translation - I'm a bored shit-head who thinks I have the right to attack anyone I dont like.

Ice Nine বলেছেন...

As a Bespectacled-American, I always hated him.

Lazarus বলেছেন...

Throwing a pie in Marcel Marceau's face would be meta.

Miming throwing one in his face would be meta-meta.

rehajm বলেছেন...

…he’s dead, now comeuppance will never come…

Narr বলেছেন...

"Pie-eyed" indeed.

Dave Begley বলেছেন...

"I have always remained true to the spirit of May ’68."

That generation caused immeasurable harm to America. I always think of the Clintons when I think about the Class of '68. In fact, there's a PBS documentary on Hillary called "Hillary's Class."

Thankfully, these people are dying off. But now they're being replaced by AOC and others. The children of the Class of '68 are probably worse.

When will people realize how damaging liberalism is?

When my brother moved the Bay Area in the early 80's it was beautiful. Look what's happened to it.

rhhardin বলেছেন...

1
Among twenty snowy mountains
the only moving thing
was the pieman coming.

2
I was of three minds,
like Simple Simon
looking at three pies.

Victor Contoski ``Simple Simon in American Literature''

Meade বলেছেন...

“ They deployed pies with soft crusts to ensure that their caloric projectiles would only injure pride.” Sounds like they were proud of themselves for that.

MadTownGuy বলেছেন...

I prefer the pie mayhem near the end of The Great Race.

Meade বলেছেন...

“ Miming throwing one in his face would be meta-meta.”

And miming throwing a chocolate one while in blackface would be Black Pies Meta Meta Meta.

Meade বলেছেন...

Would’ve been funny if the NYT headline had been “Noël Godin, Prankster Who Threw Pies at the Powerful and Pompous, Has Pie Smushed In His Own Face While Getting His Head Examined In MRI, And Then Dies, at 80”

Marcus Bressler বলেছেন...

I threw a "shaving cream pie" at a buddy who answered the door at a local party. It burnt TF out of his eyes. I profusely apologized. Never again. Real whipped cream is the correct usage.

Marcus Bressler বলেছেন...

"As American as apple pie." There was a time when every diner had a freshly-made pie of some sorts available. Howard Johnson's had Simple Simon and the Pie Man sculptures above their orange roofs.

mccullough বলেছেন...

Mr. Godin is survived by his cats.

Christopher B বলেছেন...

Ok, Boomer

J Scott বলেছেন...

Even after looking at his photos the meaning of "pudding faced" still escapes me.

gspencer বলেছেন...

THREE STOOGES: Greatest Pie Fights!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmsshnOVLvM

gspencer বলেছেন...

"I prefer the pie mayhem near the end of The Great Race."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Q7hZcx_iw

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন

Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.