৭ সেপ্টেম্বর, ২০২৬

"Mr. Field found his calling by happenstance. As a newly enlisted soldier boarding a troop train during World War II, he was handed a bag..."

"... by a Red Cross worker. It contained a toothbrush, a comb, a candy bar and an anthology of poetry. 'I was on that train for three days,' he said in a 2022 interview for this obituary. 'I read it over and over. I knew immediately that I was going to be a poet. He was just 18 and had never read a book of poetry...."

From "Edward Field, Bohemian New York Poet, Dies at 102/His colloquial language, emotionality and gay topics brought him widespread praise, a Guggenheim Foundation fellowship and other literary honors" (NYT gift link).

I'd like to see that anthology. It seems that the book was "The Pocket Book of Verse: Great English and American Poems," which contained 249 poems by 77 poets:
There are inspirational poems like Longfellow’s “A Psalm of Life” and Richard Lovelace’s “To Althea, From Prison.”... There are inspirational passages from The Bible, like the famous Psalm 23.... There are poems about soldiers like Walt Whitman’s “O Captain! My Captain!” and Tennyson’s “The Charge of the Light Brigade” and Sir Walter Scott’s “Soldier, Rest”.... There are escapist stories in poem form like Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Raven” and “Annabel Lee” and Alfred Noyes’s “The Highwayman” and Coleridge’s “Kubla Khan”.... There are poems about what it is to be a man like Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s “Grief” and Robert Burns’s “A Man’s a Man for A’That” and Rudyard Kipling’s “If”.... There are romantic poems like Shakespeare’s and Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s sonnets and Wordsworth’s “Perfect Woman.” Here’s an excerpt: 
The reason firm, the temperate will,

Endurance, foresight, strength, and skill;

A perfect Woman, nobly planned,

To warn, to comfort, and command;

And yet a Spirit still, and bright

With something of angelic light.

১৩টি মন্তব্য:

bagoh20 বলেছেন...

Don't really like poems - not enough numbers.

baghdadbob বলেছেন...

At least he didn't take out $50,000 in student loans to get a poetry degree from Columbia.

Smilin' Jack বলেছেন...

“Don't really like poems - not enough numbers.”

Not only numbers, there’s even some fairly advanced math:

The Kiss Precise

By Frederick Soddy

This poem was posted by Becky Jaffe on mathbabe.org. It is by a mathematician who proved the Kissing Circles Theorem, which states that if four circles are all tangent to each other, then they must intersect at six distinct points. Frederick Soddy wrote up his proof in the form of a poem, published in 1936 in Nature magazine.

For pairs of lips to kiss maybe
Involves no trigonometry.
This not so when four circles kiss
Each one the other three.
To bring this off the four must be
As three in one or one in three.
If one in three, beyond a doubt
Each gets three kisses from without.
If three in one, then is that one
Thrice kissed internally.

Four circles to the kissing come.
The smaller are the benter.
The bend is just the inverse of
The distance form the center.
Though their intrigue left Euclid dumb
There’s now no need for rule of thumb.
Since zero bend’s a dead straight line
And concave bends have minus sign,
The sum of the squares of all four bends
Is half the square of their sum.

To spy out spherical affairs
An oscular surveyor
Might find the task laborious,
The sphere is much the gayer,
And now besides the pair of pairs
A fifth sphere in the kissing shares.
Yet, signs and zero as before,
For each to kiss the other four
The square of the sum of all five bends
Is thrice the sum of their squares.

RideSpaceMountain বলেছেন...

Q: Does "The Pocket Book of Verse: Great English and American Poems" contain any poems by American poet Wallace Stevens?

Grok: No, but he was still living at the time.

That's no excuse.

Michael Fitzgerald বলেছেন...

"Don't really like poems - not enough numbers."

I think that I shall never see
A poem as lovely as a 3.

Ice Nine বলেছেন...

"I read it over and over. I knew immediately that I was going to be a poet." Because I loved the poems and I'm crazy about beans and ramen...

gilbar বলেছেন...

was Mr Field ever a good enough poet, to get a Memorial Forest forest named after him?
I've hiked (and FISHED) in Joyce Kilmer's Memorial Forest in North Carolina, and it increased my respect for Trees (and, i guess, Poems)

Lem Vibe Bandit বলেছেন...

"I knew immediately that I was going to be a poet."

“For me the initial delight is in the surprise of remembering something I didn't know I knew”— That comes from Robert Frost 1939 essay "The Figure a Poem Makes"

Unlike English, Spanish has two words for knowing or to know.

So I asked ai, what kind of knowing was "I knew immediately..."?

ai: "That would be saber! When you say "I knew immediately...", you are talking about realizing a fact or having an innate piece of information about yourself.
In Spanish, when you use saber in the preterite (past) tense, its meaning actually shifts slightly from "to know" to "to find out" or "to realize" at a specific moment.
Your sentence would translate to: "Supe de inmediato que iba a ser poeta."
If you used conocer here (e.g., conocí), it would mean you met a poet or became familiar with a poet for the first time, which changes the entire meaning."

I definitely didn't know how I knew, but I knew.

john mosby বলেছেন...

When I hit the Joyce Kilmer Rest Area on the NJ Turnpike, I know I am not far from NYC....CC, JSM

Bill Harshaw বলেছেন...

"Captain, My Captain" is about soldiers???

Would be news for many.

It was written after Lincoln's assassination.

Interested Bystander বলেছেন...

“ gilbar said...
was Mr Field ever a good enough poet, to get a Memorial Forest forest named after him?
I've hiked (and FISHED) in Joyce Kilmer's Memorial Forest in North Carolina, and it increased my respect for Trees (and, i guess, Poems)

9/7/26, 12:18 PM”


I was gonna go there but I chose the road less taken and ended on a Marine base in Cherry Point.

Lem Vibe Bandit বলেছেন...

Credit to John Cleese for alerting me to English only having one word for knowing while other languages have two.
Sorry, I cannot find that video.

Interested Bystander বলেছেন...

I’m a retired surveyor and had to learn enough trig to work with curves , arcs and tangents. I’m surprised I never came across that circle kissing porm above.

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন

Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.