२३ सप्टेंबर, २०२६

"Lounging idly in the deserted little waiting-room was the usual shabby, bored, lonely ticket-seller, prodigiously indifferent to the grave beauty of the scene before him and to the throng of ancient memories jostling him where he stood."

Having recently suffered a bout of isolated transient alexia, I worry about a relapse when I encounter a sentence like that. It makes me wonder: Do I still have the ability to read?

That's the first sentence of a novel — writers put a lot of effort into crafting sentence #1, you know! — and that one is calling out to readers who are not me. Somehow every noun needs at least one adjective — or 3 or 6.

The book is "The Brimming Cup" by Dorothy Canfield Fisher. It was the #2 bestseller of 1921. (#1 was "Main Street" by Sinclair Lewis.) Here's a great picture of Canfield Fisher:


Wikipedia: "Dorothy Canfield Fisher (February 17, 1879 – November 9, 1958) was an educational reformer, social activist, and best-selling American author in the early 20th century. She strongly supported women's rights, racial equality, and lifelong education. Eleanor Roosevelt named her one of the ten most influential women in the United States. Her writing helped increase understanding of the Montessori method of child-rearing in the U.S.; she presided over the country's first adult education program; and her service as a member of the Book of the Month Club selection committee from 1925 to 1951 helped shape literary tastes in the U.S."

Why am I reading "The Brimming Cup" even though I found the first sentence hilariously off-putting? I have a very specific reason, and it's got nothing to do with any reason you might have to read it. My mother has an unusual name. I've never met or even heard of anyone else with that name, even though it sounds fairly ordinary: Marise. I'd always known that the name came from a book her mother had read, but I'd never known anything else about the book.

Now, I know the book is "The Brimming Cup." I was talking to Grok about the rarity of the name and prompted:

I want to read the book to understand my grandmother, Geraldine Beatty: 

Old photograph

I blogged about that photograph back in 2006, here. At the time I said: 
I'm pretty sure this was taken in the 1920s.... The woman in the middle seems to be wearing a flapper costume, what with that headband, but wouldn't a young person have dressed like this then? The women who are not my grandmother are wearing awfully similar coats, and the men have nearly identical hats, yet my grandmother is coatless....

This picture mystifies me and makes me feel sad. It's not just the poignancy of the distant past, but that I never knew my grandmother when she was anything like this young and confident person. The Geraldine I knew suffered and complained. I never got the whole story out of my mother, but I think she completely changed when her fifth (and last) child was born with a hopeless birth defect and died within one year. So for me this picture represents the most unreachable part of the past....

But that part is reachable. I can read "The Brimming Cup"! 

१८ टिप्पण्या:

Elliott A. म्हणाले...

Main Street was a great read

Gerda Sprinchorn म्हणाले...

Speaking of books written by women in the 1920's, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes is a surprisingly fun book. A quick read. Lot's of real laughs. Surprisingly ribald.

Maddad म्हणाले...

Dot looks like Barbara Hershey.

Eva Marie म्हणाले...

What a wonderful use of AI.

The Middle Coast म्हणाले...

I read thong instead of throng and had to read it again.

Original Mike म्हणाले...

The sentence is readable.

loudogblog म्हणाले...

A while ago my mom sent me a real estate listing for the house that my grandfather lived in before he came to Los Angeles in the 1920s and met my grandmother. I assumed that it was the house in Tucson that he was raised in. The thing about online real estate listings is that you can usually see photos of the inside and outside of the property. It was strange to look at those photos and imagine what it must have looked like in those days. (Probably very similar because the house was very old and didn't look like it had ever been modernized.) Also, his last name was Villaescusa and there is actually a Villaescusa road far outside of Tucson. I looked it up on Google maps and it's a small dirt road with absolutely nothing there.

William म्हणाले...

Upon re-reading, the opening sentence isn't so eye-glazing and has a whiff of poetry in it. ......Dorothy Canfield Fisher, who I never heard of until just now, led a worthy and useful life. She certainly looks impressive in that picture. Maybe you can start the ball rolling for her re-appraisal. She can be the white Zora Neale Hurston......Your grandmother would improve. I don't think it's an incidental fact that she is behind the wheel in the picture presented.........In any event, we're all forgotten soon enough as King Charles would say. That's probably his one quote that's Barlett's level.

gilbar म्हणाले...

books USED TO BE GOOD..

"I always get the shakes before a drop."

“When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman, and a ride home.”

what's your favorite? i can't decide

Jaq म्हणाले...

Didn’t you watch the play Our Town? Even if you could go back, you probably wouldn’t want to. To see your grandmother young and vital, knowing her fate?

For some reason last night I watched Meet Joe Black and maybe that is affecting the vibe of this post for me. I think that the movie is based on the song Old Black Joe but I might have said that here before.

Lazarus म्हणाले...

She's forgotten now, but she was in one of my school text books with an essay or story or anecdote about a friend who was sick of literary people and their pretentious ways. Fisher introduced the friend to one of her down-to-earth, unpretentious farmer neighbors and the friend commented on the way back to Fisher's place, "Why aren't literary people more like him?" The neighbor was ... Robert Frost.

Lurker म्हणाले...

When the meaning of a sentence puzzles me, I simply assume it was something Kamala Harris said and move on.

ChrisC म्हणाले...

Gerda Sprinchorn said...
Speaking of books written by women in the 1920's, -

Kristen Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undstet. One of the best books I have ever read.

ChrisC म्हणाले...

Forgot to say, that there is a brilliant recent English translation that makes it accessible.

BarrySanders20 म्हणाले...

I imagine AA does not like to be jostled or read about people getting jostled by ancient memories while standing.

Ann Althouse म्हणाले...

"I imagine AA does not like to be jostled or read about people getting jostled by ancient memories while standing."

LOL

dbp म्हणाले...

A while back, I found a volume containing, Arrowsmith, Mainstreet and Babbitt. They were all good, though I liked Arrowsmith the best; but then I am a biologist and not a doctor or a real estate developer.

Josephbleau म्हणाले...

"I always get the shakes before a drop.", yes, Heinlein, Johnny Rico.

Althouse should be glad that her grandmother was the best looking of the three. I note Mich. Detroit and then Mich J…. Jackson is the only big town in Mi that starts with J that I know.

टिप्पणी पोस्ट करा

Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.