१६ सप्टेंबर, २०२६

Just stumbled into the greatest movie trailer I have ever seen.

From 1968, one of my favorite years, comes "the exciting story of vibrant unpredictable youth searching for the answers that torment their generation":


If it's answers that torment you, stick with the questions.

४६ टिप्पण्या:

CJinPA म्हणाले...

Pure art. Kick it up a notch with Mystery Science Theater 3000 and their take: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VsBatcCPvw

Ann Althouse म्हणाले...

"Kick it up a notch with Mystery Science Theater 3000..."

Thanks. Will check that out. I don't see how this material could be funnier. I laughed out loud the whole time (without nudging from comedians/robots).

Howard म्हणाले...

A strong Valley of the Dolls vibe

Wilbur म्हणाले...

Thanks for the laugh, AA.
A pastiche of bad 60's movies, music and TV. Billy Jack meets The Mod Squad meets Grand Funk.
As a vibrant unpredictable youth of that era, I never found the questions that were supposed to be tormenting me.

Saint Croix म्हणाले...

All that humor went right over my head.

One time I tried watching Plan 9 From Outer Space and it's so bad. And we all know it's bad, but oh my God.

Ed Wood really is hysterical, though. And the music video is even funnier.

Saint Croix म्हणाले...

I'm not sure, but I think my favorite trailers are the ones Kubrick directed:

Lolita

Dr. Strangelove.

Howard म्हणाले...

Those scenes from Mulholland drive make me a nostalgic for my home town

Saint Croix म्हणाले...

My favorite bad movie, by far, is The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension

So horribly bad, so incredibly good, it's beyond camp, achieving a superstardom of suck that is a pleasure to watch. Ridiculously sublime, moronically brilliant, hilariously stupid. Damn I love this awful awful masterpiece. And forget the bad movie that you make fun of, that ain't what this is. You can't make fun of this movie. You can't mock it. It's unmockable. It's beyond mock. It's beyond everything. Sample dialog:

"Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are."

"They're only monkey-boys. We can crush them here on earth, Lord Whorfin."

"Take her to the Pitt! Go, Big-booty. Use more honey! Find out what she knows."

"The man's been through solid matter, for crying out loud. Who knows what's happened to his brain? Maybe it's scrambled his molecules! All I'm saying is, Mr. President, let's not panic."

"Evil! Pure and simple from the eighth dimension!"

"Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life."

"Shut up, Big-booty, you coward! You are the weakest individual I ever know!"

"You're like Jerry Lewis, you give me hope to carry on, then you leave me in the lurch while you strap on your six-guns..."

"You can check your anatomy all you want, and even though there may be normal variation, when it comes right down to it, this far inside the head it all looks the same. No, no, no, don't tug on that. You never know what it might be attached to."

"Buckaroo, I don't know what to say. Lectroids? Planet 10? Nuclear extortion? A girl named John?"

Iman म्हणाले...

Beautiful, sweet thangs doin’ the Pony gets me every time.

Quayle म्हणाले...

In the 60s, as a young Mormon boy, I specifically wasn’t allowed to watch any movies that took place in rooms or apartments with bead curtains, had flute jazz, or contained scenes with motorcycles in the southern California hills.

Peachy+2 म्हणाले...

Drugs, sex, girls in gold boots, and rock and roll. Timeless American pastimes.

Not an oldster. म्हणाले...

"No hip- hip- hip- hip...
No hippie chicks!"

Don't try to hard to be cool, ann.
Ar your age, you might break something...
Quit letting that old man of yours try to improve ya. Glad you at least have the sense to stay out of the rain (and ice, when it comes... Daylight>darkness. hth. Quack quack)

Not an oldster. म्हणाले...

Oh the abortions your entertainment choices spawned, girls!

Back alley dirty nonsense too. Who was running the culture back then, missy? *wink* You married into it... lolol.

Saint Croix म्हणाले...

Humor is so subjective. I think it's the bad horror movies that particularly crack me up.

The Re-Animator

The best part of the movie is when the severed head is crawling up the tied up woman's body, and she's like, "don't rape me, severed head, don't rape me!" and the severed head's tongue is sticking out, like "waaaaaaaaaaah!" And severed head is all, "I'm gonna get ya, I'm gonna get ya!" And she's all "Aiiiiiieeeeeeee!" And he's crawling up her body. Well, he doesn't have arms and legs. I don't remember how he moves, actually. Maybe he rolls? But that tongue is so wrong. That's all I'm saying.

Lem Vibe Bandit म्हणाले...

"My favorite bad movie, by far, is The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension"

I loved that movie. One of the few movies I watched over and over again. For a long time, I had no idea it was 'critically' bad.

CJinPA म्हणाले...

"I don't see how this material could be funnier."

That's a logical observation. Poking fun at the 40-year-old man playing the "kid" in the leather jacket is itself worth the watch.

Wince म्हणाले...

I particularly liked the guy doing the Christopher Walken impression.

CJinPA म्हणाले...

"In the 60s, as a young Mormon boy, I specifically wasn’t allowed to watch any movies that took place in rooms or apartments with bead curtains, had flute jazz, or contained scenes with motorcycles in the southern California hills."

Luckily, those rules did not cause you to miss one good movie.

boatbuilder म्हणाले...

Laugh while you can, monkey boy.

Lazarus म्हणाले...

Low budget, lowbrow alternative to "Wild in the Streets" or "Zabriskie Point."

The female lead, Leslie McRae, is still alive at 79 or 80. Her book " Kept Women: Confessions from a Life of Luxury" sounds like a good read. Male lead Tom Pace, born Tomislav Popovic, studied the Stanislavsky Method of acting under his father, Jovan Popovic at the King's Opera House in Belgrade. Judy Garland's, short-time gay husband was also in the movie.

So much to doomscroll. Stay out of Singapore or you'll end up in prison or caned.

Smilin' Jack म्हणाले...

“I don't see how this material could be funnier. I laughed out loud the whole time (without nudging from comedians/robots).”

That’s how I felt about the ‘Handmaid’s Tale’ movie trailer. But then I saw the trailer for the series….

mezzrow म्हणाले...

Hey there, I was an impressionable youth in 1968!

No wonder I turned out like this. It wasn't "in exchange for a little companionship" either, I'll have you know.

MST3K had me at "A Kennedy Center tribute to Judy Carne."

Saint Croix म्हणाले...

Creature with the Atom Brain (1955)

Might be the best bad movie ever made. Unless you count Buckaroo Banzai, which kinda circles around to awesome. This movie is too cheap to be awesome. But it’s still fun, fun, fun. A gangster controls zombies with radioactive signals as he tries to wipe out the D.A. and all the gangsters who ratted him out. My grade? Solid B.

Ice Nine म्हणाले...

Awesome soundtrack.

Saint Croix म्हणाले...

Another favorite from the 1950's (did Eisenhower put something in the drinking water?) is

The Giant Claw (1957)

which has the most hilarious monster I've ever seen. Radioactive bird droppings! I wish.

(that one's free up on youtube)

Steve म्हणाले...

This is the baddest movie ever. Pia Zadora makes her acting debut. The production values included actors with melting makeup because of the heat from the stage lights.
I give you "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFh-Odjz8As

Wince म्हणाले...

The Giant Claw had me at "there it is now, attacking the United Nations building."

Leslie Graves म्हणाले...

"Just because he deals dope, that doesn't tarnish me." And several other perfect lines. The sexiness vibe of that trailer is a 14 on a 1 to 10 scale. The people who put together the trailer must have had so much fun with that.

ChrisC म्हणाले...

I thought, that can't possibly be real. But, yes, yes it is real
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0174685/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_3_tt_3_nm_5_in_0_q_the%20girl%20in%20gold%20boots
2.3 rating on IMDB seems high for what that trailer offered

Saint Croix म्हणाले...

I loved that movie. One of the few movies I watched over and over again. For a long time, I had no idea it was 'critically' bad.

"I Still Don't Know What It's All About"

Saint Croix म्हणाले...

Over at rogerebert.com, Peter Sobczynski says Buckaroo is his all-time favorite movie.

Fantasic deep-dive here

M Jordan म्हणाले...

This movie looks like a winner. Did it grab an Oscar?

Aggie म्हणाले...

Some people say, 'So bad, it's good'. But they don't say that about this trailer.

mikee म्हणाले...
ही टिप्पणी लेखकाना हलविली आहे.
mikee म्हणाले...

A Ted W. Mikels production? That makes it PG, I suppose. Had Russ Meyer produced that title, it would have been The Girl In Half a Gold Bikini.

RCOCEAN II म्हणाले...

I love the scene in the trailer where this guy is singing to some little girl and she looks like "Whats wrong with you?"

RCOCEAN II म्हणाले...

Youth, sex, violence. Music. the formula to put bums on the seats.

Shouting Thomas म्हणाले...

Mighty heterosexual!!!

Gunner म्हणाले...

In 1968, Tom Pace was 34 and had been acting for five years. Did that really make him a "bright new star"?

bagoh20 म्हणाले...

They were searching for something, but it wasn't "the answers that torment their generation". It was sex, drugs and Rock n Roll, and man, we found it. All of it, man. All of it.

Lem Vibe Bandit म्हणाले...

ai compares : "At first glance, The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (1984) and Airplane! (1980) seem very different. Airplane! is a rapid-fire, laugh-out-loud slapstick parody, while Buckaroo Banzai plays out like a dense, eccentric sci-fi action thriller. However, both films share a foundational comedic DNA rooted in relentless, unblinking deadpan humor and an absolute refusal to acknowledge their own absurdity."

Smilin' Jack म्हणाले...

“They were searching for something, but it wasn't "the answers that torment their generation". It was sex, drugs and Rock n Roll, and man, we found it. All of it, man. All of it.”

If you remember that, you weren’t there.

Quaestor म्हणाले...

mikee writes, "A Ted W. Mikels production? That makes it PG, I suppose. Had Russ Meyer produced that title, it would have been The Girl In Half a Gold Bikini."

Russ Myers DID make that movie, and it's called "Faster, Pussy Cat, Kill! Kill!" Released in 1965, FPKK can rightly be seen as the prototype for this far more insipid go-go dancer film from 1968.

Two-eyed Jack म्हणाले...

Bongos! Bongos! Bongos!

Nothing says depravity like the sound of bongos.

Snowdin म्हणाले...

It was like Nancy Sinatra meets Easy Rider!

SweatBee म्हणाले...

I didn't know Zohran Mamdani played guitar

टिप्पणी पोस्ट करा

Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.