२१ ऑगस्ट, २०२६

I see my name invoked over at Instapundit.

It's on the old "men in shorts" topic. Something about women being able to wear "sundresses" to work. I think the term "sundresses" is being used to mean sleeveless dresses. An actual sundress wouldn't look any more professional than a man in shorts, but sleeveless dresses exist and might look okay in the office. But isn't the office air conditioned? I think women are more likely to put on a sweater than to want their bare arms exposed. 

Anyway, my classic men-in-shorts topic was about men looking like children. It all started back in 2006. It all started with something Tom Wolfe wrote in "I Am Charlotte Simmons" [commission earned]. "I was amused," I blogged, "to run across this description of a man wearing shorts":
All that elegance was what made the personage of Dr. Lewin seem so curious. Last week, when the class first met, he had worn a plaid cotton shirt and pants -- nothing remarkable about that. The shirt had had long sleeves, and the pants had been long pants. But this morning he had on a short-sleeved shirt that showed too much of his skinny, hairy arms, and denim shorts that showed too much of his gnarly, hairy legs. He looked for all the world like a seven-year-old who at the touch of a wand had become old, tall, bald on top, and hairy everywhere else, an ossified seven-year-old, a pair of eyeglasses with lenses thick as ice pushed up to the summit of his forehead -- unaccountably addressing thirty college students, at Dupont, no less.

That's my motivation. Trying to encourage you to eschew the look of an ossified 7-year-old. 

३७ टिप्पण्या:

tcrosse म्हणाले...

While we're on the subject, spare a thought for any man over the age of 17 who wears a ball cap backwards.

Maynard म्हणाले...

As much as I adore you, Althouse, I am still wearing 6” shorts every day between May and October.

I do have nicer 7” shorts when I want to be dressier.

It will get to 105 today in Tucson.

Justabill म्हणाले...

Most of us will not be remembered long, but those who have become bywords at Instapundit have a shot at lasting fame. Congratulations!

baghdadbob म्हणाले...

Tom Wolfe also addressed male fashion in "A Man In Full (Length Pants)."

Ann Althouse म्हणाले...

"It will get to 105 today in Tucson."

Don't you stay inside in the air conditioning when it's that hot?

Chad Brooks म्हणाले...

Did you see Mo Rocca's on CBS Sunday Morning talking about shorts. I was hoping he would interviw you. Sorry but in my seventies and still wearing shorts every summer day. Worst yet they are mostly cargo shorts.

Ann Althouse म्हणाले...

Form "A Man in Full": "He had on an orange T-shirt so big the short sleeves came down to his elbows and the neck opening revealed his clavicle; the tail came down below his hips, so that you could barely see his baggy cut-off jeans, whose crotch hung down to his knees.”

Ann Althouse म्हणाले...

I think the shorts per se are not the main problem. It's that an out-of-shape man is using an oversized T-shirt that hangs out over shorts that hang down to his knees. This transforms him into the big tummy/short legs silhouette associated with a child. It's not a good look. If no one is looking at you or you don't care, knock yourself out. You could even wear a sundress. It's your call.

Rabel म्हणाले...

"Shorts per se"

"Per se shorts"

William50 म्हणाले...

I think if I was going to wear a sundress I'd go commando.

Eva Marie म्हणाले...

Tucson is always about 5 degrees cooler than Phoenix. Makes a difference during the day but especially appreciated in the early morning. *sigh*

RideSpaceMountain म्हणाले...

If ossified men couldn't wear shorts, how could the 7 year olds at the pool touch grandpa felonyfinger's leg hairs that turn blonde in the Delaware sun?

RideSpaceMountain म्हणाले...

"I think if I was going to wear a sundress I'd go commando."

De rigueur for the 'Scottish sundress'.

Known Unknown म्हणाले...

I never, ever wear shorts to work. How uncouth!

Aggie म्हणाले...

I'm sensing some mighty, suppressed Puritan undercurrents here, in this feminine shock and horror at manly legs being put on display without shame. Could there be some secret fascination at work, a forbidden titillation? Hmm.....

cassandralite म्हणाले...

Message received all those years ago. And taken to heart. No matter how hot it is.

Lem Vibe Bandit म्हणाले...

It’s probably illegal in some states to bear arms at the office.

Skeptical Voter म्हणाले...

I'm 82--the temperature today is 18 degrees higher than my age in years---so you betchum I'm in shorts.

mezzrow म्हणाले...

I never feel as authentic as I do when I appear to be an ossified seven year old. If I should opt for the sundress in future I think I might insist on a set of Mary Janes to go with.
After all, it IS the 21st century, you know.

ThatsGoingToLeaveA म्हणाले...

If you don't like shorts, try 34°0′2″N 81°2′5″W (34.0007° N, 81.0348° W) in August.

tcrosse म्हणाले...

Here;s Althouse on one of her rants
About gentlemen wearing short pants.
Nothing from you does
Like shorts or bermudas
To add to her tally of can'ts.

Maynard म्हणाले...

Don't you stay inside in the air conditioning when it's that hot?

Someone has to get the mail and do the shopping. Walking to and from the car is a reminder of the brutal heat.

I walk (10K steps) five days a week in the early morning when it is only 80-85 degrees. Luckily, I can do that year round as opposed to the Midwest winters where I grew up.

AC is great but expensive here. We keep the house at 76 degrees, which is well suited for shorts.

tommyesq म्हणाले...

I think about sizable number of women would wear a sleeveless dress, then butch to the women inHR that they were too cold and demand that the temperature be turned up, which HR would promptly require.

Mason G म्हणाले...

"But isn't the office air conditioned?"

AI response to a question about who is more likely to complain about the temperature in the office:

"Research generally finds that women, on average, report feeling colder in indoor workplaces more often than men, and studies of office temperature preferences often find that women prefer warmer conditions."

Josephbleau म्हणाले...

“ so that you could barely see his baggy cut-off jeans, whose crotch hung down to his knees.”

In the words of the old black comedian, “and he had one dangling in front like a base ball bat…”

RideSpaceMountain म्हणाले...

"then butch to the women inHR"

A most exquisite typo, eliciting a series of hilarious images. Thank you autocorrect!

Yancey Ward म्हणाले...

The only rule is that, if you have attractive legs, you can show them off- men or women, it doesn't matter. If your legs are unattractive, you should wear pants.

Yancey Ward म्हणाले...

"Research generally finds that women, on average, report feeling colder in indoor workplaces more often than men, and studies of office temperature preferences often find that women prefer warmer conditions."

My mother in July and the house temp is 75: "I'm hot."

My mother in January when the house temp is 75: "I'm cold."

Justabill म्हणाले...

Shortly after I filed my retirement papers, I wore shorts to work one day. One of the other lawyers pointed his finger at me and said “you’ve gone too far!” Still makes me laugh.

LibertarianLeisure म्हणाले...

I don't know, a nice looking man in tan, dress shorts with a short sleeve dress buttoned shirt, boat shoes and nice legs with defined calf muscles, not objectionable to me.

Mason G म्हणाले...

Speaking as a guy, if you're looking at men's legs, you're doing it wrong.

Joe Bar म्हणाले...

When I was working, a few brave souls wore shorts in the wilting Virginia summer heat.

Also, the built in women’s summer advantage explains why men prefer a cooler office.

Joe Bar म्हणाले...

I served with an Australian exchange officer in AZ. He had a dress uniform with shorts and tall green socks with garters. He looked sharp!

Narr म्हणाले...

I'm wearing my cargo shorts (I have three pair on rotation) first because they are cooler, second because I have nice legs, and third because neener neener neener!

Ampersand म्हणाले...

The aesthetic of the male adult leg, as perceived by our hostess, is the most consistently amusing part of the blog. There are so many parts of our bodies that are risible. Why are legs particularly awful? And in any case the visible male leg signals the degree of physical vitality and strength of its possessor.

bleh म्हणाले...

There are some men who think women should never wear pants. Some judges ask that women wear skirts in their courtroom. I think it’s a similar thing to Althouse’s rule about men in shorts. Grown men should look like grown men. Grown women should look like grown women. It’s all very binary and retrograde.

Of course some feminist will claim that the women in skirts rule is just the male gaze and patriarchy or something. But what Althouse is talking about is the female gaze, her female gaze. She has a way that she likes to look at men. She wants it to be packaged a certain way. She doesn’t want unsightly male legs to ruin it.

Bruce scott म्हणाले...

A Cautionary Experience
Everyone needs to be careful, as online scams involving fake real estate companies are becoming increasingly common.
I was looking to purchase a house in Denmark and contacted what I believed was a legitimate real estate company I found online. Unfortunately, after paying €410,000, I discovered that I had been dealing with a scam.
I took action quickly and sought professional assistance. I contacted Ms. Kristina Hooper, who carried out a private investigation and guided me through the recovery process. Thankfully, I was able to recover my funds.
If you are going through a similar situation, don't lose hope. Take action promptly and seek professional advice from a legitimate and verifiable recovery professional. My experience with Ms. Hooper was professional and reassuring, and I’m grateful for the assistance I received.
kristinahooper 24 at gmail Doc Com

टिप्पणी पोस्ट करा

Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.