25 ઑગસ્ટ, 2026

Goodbye to Dolly Parton.

"Dolly Parton, Superstar Whose Songs Spoke to Millions, Dies at 80/Known for her outsize persona, appearance and talent, she rose from rural poverty to become a top-selling singer, songwriter and entrepreneur" (NYT gift link).
She wrote unabashedly, in simple Southern vernacular, about growing up as the daughter of an illiterate sharecropper. “I’ve seen Daddy’s hands break open and bleed / And I’ve seen him work ’til he’s stiff as a board,” she sang over wistful harmonica and acoustic guitar in “In the Good Old Days (When Times Were Bad).” “I’ve seen Mama layin’ in sufferin’ and sickness / In need of a doctor we couldn’t afford. / Anything at all was more than we had / In the good old days when times were bad.”... 
“Writing’s just as natural to me as getting up and cooking breakfast,” she told The Times in 2002. “I ain’t never far away from a pencil and paper or a tape recorder. I write every day, even when I’m on a plane, in the tub or on the bus. It burns in me.... Songwriting is my way of channeling my feelings and my thoughts. Not just mine, but the things I see, the people I care about. My head would explode if I didn’t get some of that stuff out. Not everything I write is good, but it’s all good for me — like therapy.”

It has long seemed to me that she was the most-loved celebrity in the world — universally loved.

ADDED: "Very sad to report that Dolly Parton, one of the greatest Country singers, and far beyond, EVER, has just passed away. This is a true loss for millions of people. There has never been anyone like her, and never will. In her honor, I am lowering the American flag throughout the United States for a one week period beginning tonight at 6:00PM. Rest in Peace, Dolly! The World loves you. President DONALD J. TRUMP."

I believe this is the first time a President has lowered the flag for someone in the entertainment world.

AND: My oldest post with the "Dolly Parton" tag has this quote from her: "A cartoon character is how I see myself and it's worked for me for 40 years. I would rather be a cartoon than a genius!"

77 ટિપ્પણીઓ:

Aggie કહ્યું...

Ah..... Rats. I had been reading rumors that she was ill for the past couple of months. She had a good heart I think. R.I.P.

Peachy+2 કહ્યું...

no. no. So sad. She is one of a kind. Positive and kind all of the time. non-political. A lovely generous person. Talented. Funny.
This is a big loss.

Enlighten-NewJersey કહ્યું...

What a wonderful woman. Just reading her obit in the WSJ and not a single nasty comment. That fact speaks volumes.

FWBuff કહ્યું...

She was a legend, a superstar, and a generous, good-hearted person. What a unique talent! May she rest in peace.

Mr. D કહ્યું...

We were fortunate to have her. She left enormous footprints.

rehajm કહ્યું...

heartbroken...hard to think of another like her that's still around...

mezzrow કહ્યું...

We are diminished by her exit, as we were blessed by her presence. She was an example to us all, rich, poor, man or woman. If you want to actually DO something with your life and make this a better world, who ever did it better than Dolly?

Thank you, Dolly. You did it right. You are already missed.

paul કહ્યું...
આ ટિપ્પણી લેખક દ્વારા દૂર કરવામાં આવી છે.
D.D. Driver કહ્યું...

And yet Biden and Trump still live. Truly, only the good die young.

FullMoon કહ્યું...

Genuinely decent person. The young one has been getting Dolly's books for free. I am actually sad.

RCOCEAN II કહ્યું...

Sad to hear. A showbiz great and not only likable but very good at comedy and singing. RIP.

rehajm કહ્યું...

I'm on a stream from the Netherlands- they are lamenting the loss as well...a global sadness...

FullMoon કહ્યું...


Dolly Parton vs. Barbara Walters/a>.

Big Mike કહ્યું...

“I would rather be a cartoon than a genius!"

In key respects she was both.

rehajm કહ્યું...

Bob Hope. Bush had it lowered for Bob Hope...

Quayle કહ્યું...

This one hit me. It surprised me. But I felt it.

bagoh20 કહ્યું...

Just yesterday I was thinking that this must be just around the corner. A wonderful person to be famous. We need more like her. She made the world better and asked for nothing. In return she got the love of the world.

Valentine Smith કહ્યું...

One thing I am certain of Without reading any obituary, she did not drown.

ForestwithouttreeS કહ્યું...

Too bad you had to ruin a post about a great entertainer and beautiful person with a tweet from the asshole.

bagoh20 કહ્યું...

She would have laughed.

Blair કહ્યું...

"... a tweet from the asshole."

That's *President* Asshole to you.

Wilbur કહ્યું...

My favorite Dolly record was actually a cover by Merle Haggard, "Kentucky Gambler". A lyrical masterpiece.

I loved her duets with Porter Wagoner, especially "Daddy Was an Oldtime Preacher Man" (written by Dolly and her aunt) and "The Last Thing on My Mind".

Her solo country hits are still very listenable, although I liked her more as a writer than a singer. Her pop turn was lamentable to me, but made her what she was - world famous and beloved.

rhhardin કહ્યું...

"Dolly Parton, one of the most legendary voices in country music, ..." Radio news headline.

There's lots of stuff about her but the chief thing is big breasts, as far as telling everybody who she is.

Mr. T. કહ્યું...

Not only is Dear Dolly's passing a loss in itself, but it also is a loss in the sense ofnthe decay of our culture. Once upon a.time, entertainers had to earn their bread and butter. They were genuine, talented, and performed a public good. Now in the days of autotuning technology, participation trophies, and "social(ist) allyship" where the best perfomative work celebrities show is to convince society of their own importance, Dolly's passing only serves as a reminder of how we are currently run by a nihilistic, pink slime entertainment industry.

By coincidence I happened to just rewatch the Longest Day, and was reminded about how many of the stars in that movie actually participated and served in overseas operations in WWIl.
How many today would debase themselves to serve as the rest of us everyday plebians? As we saw during Covid and the LA Fires, not many come to mind.

We grieve for you Ms. Parton. Our loss is greater than you know.

Temujin કહ્યું...

"It has long seemed to me that she was the most-loved celebrity in the world — universally loved."
True. It's because she was kind to the entire world. Never took strong political positions. Always saw the good in people and used her time and money to help so many people in so many places over a long period of time. She didn't just offer words, or show up at mass celebrity sing-alongs. She actually helped people when the cameras were nowhere within 300 miles.

She was a proud Christian, stayed out of the muck, knew who she was and never forgot where she came from. And...she was a helluva singer/entertainer.
She was the antithesis of a Mark Ruffalo.

Leora કહ્યું...

My favorite line of hers "It's really expensive to look this cheap." It seems out of character though. She seemed like a thoroughly nice person. I find myself tearing up at her loss.

Iman કહ્યું...

RIP, Dolly. A class act for decades and a generous, talented artist.

Iman કહ્યું...

That wasn’t nice, ForestwithLice.

Earnest Prole કહ્યું...

“Dolly Parton vs. Barbara Walters”

Tanks for the Mammaries.

William કહ્યું...

I am genuinely saddened to hear of her death. She had some special gift beyond just talent and music. Her music and her looks attracted your attention, but that wasn't what held your attention for decades. There was comfort in her presence.

Dr Weevil કહ્યું...

Seen on Quod Verum (the Mastodon site of Saul Montes-Bradley and Thomas Wictor):

"I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb - and I'm not blonde either."

She often used a plaintive little-girl voice, rather surprising coming from such a buxom woman. Then again, she wasn't fat all over, like Mama Cass or Big Mama Thornton, so maybe not all that surprising. My favorites in that voice are "To Daddy" and "Single Bars and Single Women".

Breezy કહ્યું...

Ugh, this is sad news….. RIP, Miss Dolly.

Wilbur કહ્યું...

Here's Dolly's debut appearance on The Porter Wagoner Show, 9/26/67. She replaced Porter's first "girl singer" Norma Jean, or as Porter always referred to her "Pretty Miss Norma Jean".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o2J3LeYdEY

Omaha1 કહ્યું...

Nooooo. She was a wonderful person. So sad to say goodbye to her.

Just an old country lawyer કહ્યું...

What a blessing she was. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.

dbp કહ્યું...

Off-hand, Dolly Parton is one of only two well-known people it was pretty much impossible not to like. The other was Fred Rodgers.

Big Mike કહ્યું...

A while back I came across a quiz where people were supposed to match a statement about an entertainer with who the entertainer was. One statement was “She took over the flight attendant’s cart and served drinks to the passengers.” Apparently just about everyone guessed Dolly Parton.

And just about everyone was right.

MadisonMan કહ્યું...

This is sad to read. There's a lot to admire about her. Like others, I recall her interview with Barbara Walters. She was great.

Vance કહ્યું...

I remember that my dad did a musical once, called "pump boys" about a gas station with an attached dinette. One of the songs in the musical was "The night Dolly Parton Was almost mine."

She was a legend, that's for sure. RIP and thanks for all the memories. She has a good cover of the Battle of New Orleans, I think it is.

Wilbur કહ્યું...

dbp said...
Off-hand, Dolly Parton is one of only two well-known people it was pretty much impossible not to like. The other was Fred Rodgers.

The only other one who came to my mind is Stan Musial.

Dr Weevil કહ્યું...

Seen on Twitter: "that rat bitch Jolene did this".

Dr Weevil કહ્યું...

Love for Dolly Parton is not quite universal. Someone just vandalized her Wikipedia page with "Jew Lover" and a Nazi flag (link). I hope RC OCEAN II has an alibi.

BG કહ્યું...

RIP, Dolly. One of a wonderful kind.

Oh Yea કહ્યું...

Truly a loss. We need more like her in these times.

MadTownGuy કહ્યું...

We didn't listen to, or even hear, country music in our household when I was growing up. Big bands, classical and top 40 was about all there was, and it continued as such even into my young married life.

So it was, until on a drive from Cali to OKC for FAA School I'm 2984. The only radio in Roswell, NM was country, so I gave it a listen. Then Dolly's "Jolene" came on and it blew me away. All I knew of Dolly Parton was Johnny Carson's punchlines. Her songwriting, her performance, her presence even on a lo-fi radio blew me away. I've been impressed ever since.

Lem Vibe Bandit કહ્યું...

"A cartoon character is how I see myself and it's worked for me for 40 years. I would rather be a cartoon than a genius!"

When Dolly comes back as a cockroach, everybody is going to sing...

Hello, Dolly
This is Louis, Dolly
It's so nice to have you back where you belong
You're lookin' swell, Dolly
I can tell, Dolly
You're still glowin', you're still crowin'
You're still goin' strong
I feel the room swayin'
While the band's playin'
One of our old favourite songs from way back when
So take her wrap, fellas
Find her an empty lap, fellas
Dolly'll never go away again...

donald કહ્યું...

Not for nothin, but pray for Emmy Lou, Linda and Carol Burnett.

I’ll get to the guys later.

donald કહ્યું...

Charles Schultz, Wilbur.

Earnest Prole કહ્યું...

“So it was, until on a drive from Cali to OKC for FAA School I'm 2984.”

George Orwell’s never-published sequel.

Never send to know for whom the Blogger typo bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

Meade કહ્યું...

In the Sweet By and By
https://www.dollydiscography.com/in-the-sweet-by-and-by.html

Narr કહ્યું...

iest

Peachy+2 કહ્યું...

She made the world a better place.

Peachy+2 કહ્યું...
આ ટિપ્પણી લેખક દ્વારા દૂર કરવામાં આવી છે.
Peachy+2 કહ્યું...

Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library
"Inspired by her father Robert Lee Parton’s lifelong inability to read or write, this is her best-known and largest initiative. It mails one free, high-quality, age-appropriate book each month to registered children from birth until age 5 (building a personal library of up to about 60 books), regardless of family income. "

Leland કહ્યું...

For those that might not have seen the family announcement, it is very well done. We all mourn her public life, but she created and was part of a great family. Rest in peace and in cotton.

Inga કહ્યું...

Dolly will be missed. When my 45 year old daughter was 3 or 4 , she had an imaginary friend she named Jolene after Dolly’s song Jolene. I don’t have the exact dates, but Dolly’s first TV variety show was rerun sometime in the early 80’s. IIRC, Jolene was one of the show’s opening or closing songs.

Dolly teamed up with Linda Ronstadt and/ Emmylou Harris, such gorgeous voices, what talent these three had.

paminwi કહ્યું...

My grandkids, 4 & 5 know Dolly from her Imagination Library.
And on their birthday her group sends a video of Dolly singing Happy Birthday! And a great spoken message to the birthday child.
Their favorite song is The Coat of Many Colors.
I’m happy another generation will know her songs.

lonejustice કહ્યું...

I have always loved Dolly Parton. She had a channel where she would read books to children. This one is about a frog. One of my favorites. It's copyrighted, so it may not work.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&hs=nXqV&sca_esv=52c9fd1755808e3a&sxsrf=APpeQnvucZ28MVCaPmwIjqkRN2TnpHiPEA:1787700895214&udm=7&fbs=ABfTbFVyMZGZf1hfvX9uKjN_-G8c4u0nXx4bEIpwm1lnNH832VstEKsVDqPorK0Gahnm2no1YAFtlsByIZaJlK7yr6gIShz8_nfnRyCFKBFanfbilRzKcYA_WJQ9ztlnZtARAFc6IX4odVhw4FwEvBuXFmVjyquDHYy55t8DKIMheZwnkvaJ37NCO_cXQg4eMXlKP_vGyQNWXIamgna7aq-TSC4TPesZ1A&q=dolly+parton+read+the+frog&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjCo8vm-LyWAxXWnysGHZFEOrUQtKgLegQIEhAB&biw=864&bih=352&dpr=2.22#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:e0c6e3f0,vid:6S7OkSztBG8,st:0

Curious George કહ્યું...

""Nobody notices I got a great ass too". Haha RIP Dolly.

Bushman of the Kohlrabi કહ્યું...

RIP Dolly. The world will miss your great talent and beautiful soul.

Clyde કહ્યું...

I was saddened to hear about Dolly's passing. I've enjoyed her music for a long time, up to and including her cover of Tom Petty's "Southern Accents" back in 2024, which I included on my year-end countdown of my favorite new and new-to-me music that year. She was a kind and generous person, and she will be missed. Rest in peace, Dolly.

Jaq કહ્યું...

Well, if she was a cartoon character, she was also a genius, in terms of quality creativity.

Curious George કહ્યું...

https://www.facebook.com/reel/2451663952025070

Jaq કહ્યું...

Probably an Israeli propaganda op to sabotage her page, that would be my bet.

n.n કહ્યું...
આ ટિપ્પણી લેખક દ્વારા દૂર કરવામાં આવી છે.
n.n કહ્યું...

Good golly, Mrs Dolly, a cultural icon and genuinely kind human being has passed. Fair winds and following seas.

Peachy+2 કહ્યું...

Jaq - seek help.
Dolly was from a Red State. Get a grip. Leftist hate is everywhere.
The only evil in the world is Islamic supremacy, leftist totalitarianism and the Democrat party crime syndicate, and its pay-masters.

Dr Weevil કહ્યું...

Are jaq's comments an Israeli propaganda op to sabotage the pro-Palestine left? Just as likely as what he just alleged.

A more likely explanation of the Wikipedia defilement is that Dolly refused to speak about politics on principle, and some extremists (most, but not all, on the left) think that anyone who is not explicitly for them is against them. Here's all People could find her saying about politics - not much:

"During the 2016 election, Parton told The New York Times that Hillary Clinton 'might make as good a president as anybody ever has' and that she 'personally thinks a woman would do a great job,' but declined to endorse a candidate.

“'I think no matter if it’s Hillary or Donald Trump, we’re gonna be plagued with PMS either way — presidential mood swings!' she told the Times.

"In September 2016, when friend Kenny Rogers favorably called Parton 'the Donald Trump of country music,' Parton told Rolling Stone that 'me and Donald kind of have the same hair,' but declined to delve into the comparison further."

Peachy+2 કહ્યું...

Weevil - exactly. On the left- you better show obedience to the supreme religious cult of leftism, or you will be treated as the enemy. Neutrality is not an option.

Curious George કહ્યું...

Whitney Houston's cover of "I will always Love You" was a great, but nothing close to Dolly's version.

Political Junkie કહ્યું...

"She rose from rural poverty". Would a city folk death refer to "city poverty" or "big city poverty" or "urban poverty"? Maybe, but I think not.

Dr Weevil કહ્યું...

I may have found the creep who edited Dolly's Wikipedia page. Here (via 'JoosyJew') is 'RakisCute' writing "RIP Dolly, but I don't see anyone acting this way for the thousands of Palestinians who have been murdered before they could even think about getting as old as Dolly did. Free Palestine! [4 flags]"

Original Mike કહ્યું...

"Probably an Israeli propaganda op to sabotage her page, that would be my bet."

OK, I burst out laughing at that.
You are really something. And good manners keeps me from saying what.

Dr Weevil કહ્યું...

Found another set of supects for the defilement of Dolly's Wikipedia page: Putinites. Here's a Ukrainian on Twitter (link):

"A legend with a huge heart. Ukraine had a friend in Dolly. 💔🇺🇦

"Dolly Parton dedicated an entire ACM Awards to Ukraine while looking absolutely snatched, and became an ambassador for Sunflower Guitar for Ukraine, supporting humanitarian aid.

"Rest in peace, Dolly."

Peachy+2 કહ્યું...

The empire state deck honors Dolly

loudogblog કહ્યું...

I thought it was very nice of her to put out a video recently letting her fans know that she had serious health problems but was feeling good. I suspect that she wasn't "feeling good" at all, but wanted fans to not be surprised by her passing and believe that she didn't suffer.

Rustygrommet કહ્યું...

Jaq said...
Probably an Israeli propaganda op to sabotage her page, that would be my bet.

You don't have it in ya, do you.

ટિપ્પણી પોસ્ટ કરો

Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.