Does a visual artist -- of real artistic level capacity -- speak this way? "I loved that relation without reciprocity." And not in her native language.
Or, sorry to stephen cooper et al, is this the language of grant applications, media maneuvering, and over-intellectualization over the artistic impulse?
“ What if you have two people who decide to follow each other?”
You need more than two to make it work. Army ants do this when they’re on the move; each one follows the one in front of it. You can trick them into forming a circle by nudging the first one around to the end. Then they’ll just march around in a circle till they die. Or so I’ve heard; I’ve never tried it myself.
It's so lovely to let us all know that your first thoughts are to hit a helpless, frail old woman in the face. Yet you would never think of criticizing Maori tattoos directly to a Pacific islander built like American football linebacker.
Stick to the self-flagellation over minor grammatical errors, it's much more manly
I love the photographs. And I get it. I will sometimes get out early to walk (with my camera) around our town down here. And just walking the streets, take random photos of the city waking up, people moving about, or sitting on a park bench, or sipping coffee outside a cafe. People who don't see you don't care if you're taking their photo. No one has hit me yet.
Sad seeing these comments. Errance is how I like to travel, without realizing it. Have seen enough Eiffel towers and fjords. Just seeing people go through life. Stalking, I guess.
It’s the same principle as watching movies. You get caught up in other people’s dramas in a fictional world. That could be considered kind of creepy too, but we call it an art form. In her mode she’s watching silent films of real people in real space.
Errance? New word for me. I'm a voracious reader and I love my Kindle because I can look up unfamiliar words so easily. "Errance" isn't a work I know. Oh okay. It's French. No wonder. I don't speak French. I just finished reading "The Count of Monte Cristo". I had to look up something on nearly every page. I guess that's how I learn.
ai “Follow that cab”: “If you are looking for a specific movie that used this exact line, or if you want to explore parodies of the trope, please let me know!” The idea of following someone in the socials as a parody. Or following anybody at all in the socials is a parody.
Errance in English is wandering. A knight errant, a warrior who wanders looking for adventure or valiant deeds to perform, incorporates the French connotation, thanks to Middle English. Errance doesn't mean to follow someone. It just doesn't, and it takes either a simpleton or a dishonest person to insist otherwise.
Friend used to pick a car and follow it around. It was a creepy hobby. Prior to internet , he would advertise is local papers across the country "Good Jobs in Califonia" Requiredfive bucks and self addressed envelope. Then send back a few help wanted ads cut out of San Francisco Chronicle
You know. My father used to do this errance type of thing. When we lived in Mass, early 80s, we thought we were going somewhere not too far and our father would be taking us to the Bronx NY to visit our grandparents. He seemed to be making up his mind as we went.
Sounds like the setting for a spy movie. "French woman of a certain age inadvertently gets caught in a high-stakes countersurveillance operation. Hijinks ensue. Starring Liam Neeson and Isabelle Adjani."
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Encourage Althouse by making a donation:
Make a 1-time donation or set up a monthly donation of any amount you choose:
४० टिप्पण्या:
So in other words, she's a stalker.
My first "gut" when I read the headline was: "Creepy!"
But then I listened to her, and it was pretty fascinating and thought provoking. I'll have to noodle it over.
What if you have two people who decide to follow each other?
So she's a stalker. But harmless.
Does a visual artist -- of real artistic level capacity -- speak this way? "I loved that relation without reciprocity." And not in her native language.
Or, sorry to stephen cooper et al, is this the language of grant applications, media maneuvering, and over-intellectualization over the artistic impulse?
The observer. The eavesdrooper. Living vicariously through them. Making other people into characters into a movie inside your head.
She makes it seem cool.
“ l[start italics]What if you have two people who decide to follow each other?[end italics]
I Palindrome I
I want to go to Paris and follow her following other people. Let me get in on the action. And my wife can follow me.
louisianachannel badly needs an emergency dental visit followed by a lawsuit.
“ What if you have two people who decide to follow each other?”
You need more than two to make it work. Army ants do this when they’re on the move; each one follows the one in front of it. You can trick them into forming a circle by nudging the first one around to the end. Then they’ll just march around in a circle till they die. Or so I’ve heard; I’ve never tried it myself.
May she promenade through another person's decision to bust her square in her festering gob.
It's all fun and games until you follow some hipster hiking at night in grizzly bear country.
Postmenopausal French woman, funky eyeglass frames ✓
It's so lovely to let us all know that your first thoughts are to hit a helpless, frail old woman in the face. Yet you would never think of criticizing Maori tattoos directly to a Pacific islander built like American football linebacker.
Stick to the self-flagellation over minor grammatical errors, it's much more manly
SO...a sort of an energy vampire?
I love the photographs. And I get it. I will sometimes get out early to walk (with my camera) around our town down here. And just walking the streets, take random photos of the city waking up, people moving about, or sitting on a park bench, or sipping coffee outside a cafe. People who don't see you don't care if you're taking their photo. No one has hit me yet.
The grizzly was a gruesome story. It's amazing how risk-free so many Americans think the world is.
"I've got my Mace Ma!"
---- Yet you would never think of criticizing Maori tattoos directly to a Pacific islander built like American football linebacker.
I disagree. Quaestor's diction would make his sentiments impenetrable to Maoris. So, he might think of it.
Ah. Thought I was in a cafe post of some sort. Don't TOSE me Ann!
Sad seeing these comments. Errance is how I like to travel, without realizing it. Have seen enough Eiffel towers and fjords. Just seeing people go through life. Stalking, I guess.
It’s the same principle as watching movies. You get caught up in other people’s dramas in a fictional world. That could be considered kind of creepy too, but we call it an art form. In her mode she’s watching silent films of real people in real space.
Daring rcommal does not break any rule, but taunts the ruler with a dance at the very edge of the abyss.
That's art.
Dirk Gently stated he often got out of being lost by following people who appeared to know where they were going.
Errance? New word for me. I'm a voracious reader and I love my Kindle because I can look up unfamiliar words so easily. "Errance" isn't a work I know. Oh okay. It's French. No wonder. I don't speak French. I just finished reading "The Count of Monte Cristo". I had to look up something on nearly every page. I guess that's how I learn.
"Following," an early film by ... Christopher Nolan ...
It has a David Lynch ‘Blue Velvet’ vibe to it.
ai “Follow that cab”: “If you are looking for a specific movie that used this exact line, or if you want to explore parodies of the trope, please let me know!”
The idea of following someone in the socials as a parody. Or following anybody at all in the socials is a parody.
Good thing she's a harmless looking little French white old lady, not a hulking recently-arrived migrant with a petite knfe.
Errance in English is wandering. A knight errant, a warrior who wanders looking for adventure or valiant deeds to perform, incorporates the French connotation, thanks to Middle English. Errance doesn't mean to follow someone. It just doesn't, and it takes either a simpleton or a dishonest person to insist otherwise.
Every breath you take
And every move you make
Every bond you break
Every step you take
I'll be watching you
Friend used to pick a car and follow it around. It was a creepy hobby.
Prior to internet , he would advertise is local papers across the country "Good Jobs in Califonia" Requiredfive bucks and self addressed envelope. Then send back a few help wanted ads cut out of San Francisco Chronicle
As hobbies go, it probably is better than hiking alone at night through bear country ...
Come on, she stole the idea from Phil Collins.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9zj11gf9Qk&t=1s
CC, JSM
The French might call her a flaneur--a sort of aimless wandering. OTOH I might call her a parasite.
"As hobbies go, it probably is better than hiking alone at night through bear country ..."
Instagram: for example
You know. My father used to do this errance type of thing. When we lived in Mass, early 80s, we thought we were going somewhere not too far and our father would be taking us to the Bronx NY to visit our grandparents. He seemed to be making up his mind as we went.
I think this is intriguing and if you are the sort who does street photography, this would be a wonderful exercise.
Sounds like the setting for a spy movie. "French woman of a certain age inadvertently gets caught in a high-stakes countersurveillance operation. Hijinks ensue. Starring Liam Neeson and Isabelle Adjani."
टिप्पणी पोस्ट करा
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.