ā§Ē āĻ…āĻ•্āϟোāĻŦāϰ, ⧍ā§Ļ⧍ā§Ŧ

Fluky quirk of baseball deemed heavenly intervention.

A more down-to-earth look:

ā§Ēā§Ēāϟি āĻŽāύ্āϤāĻŦ্āϝ:

Dave Begley āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

Batter was disgusted, took his gum out of mouth and threw it away.

Dave Begley āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

“Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball, the rules and realities of the game.”

If a ball hits the roof in fair territory, it is in play.

Saint Croix āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

Ah, Bob Uecker. I spent a minute trying to figure out what damn religion this "Ueck" represented.

Play-by-play man Bob Uecker, RIP. Roman Catholic, the AI says, and he worked for the Brewers. I know him from beer commercials.

Saint Croix āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

"I must be on the front row."

Saint Croix āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

Superstition tag my ass!

Immaculate Reception in Pittsburgh.

I don't know if the Catholics actually gave Franco Harris a "saint" ruling. He probably has to do some charitable stuff, along with the miracle.

Leland āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

Disney will sue for copyright infringement for having angels in the outfield.

Saint Croix āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

Baseball superstitions are kind of hilarious, actually.

The unwashed underwear.

The "golden thong."

Don' t mention the no-no! I follow that one. You don't want to jinx the pitcher by making him think about it.

Saint Croix āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

The all-time 50 superstitions in baseball

Saint Croix āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

Mr. Superstition has to be Turk Wendell.

brushes his teeth between every inning

Curious George āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

When I went to the Cubs Brewers game in early September PCA hit two pop-ups that went high enough to hit the girders and beams supporting the roof. Highest pop up I've ever seen. Missed both times. Both were caught.

Kevin āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

"Home run balls hit the roof all the time. The world's an imperfect place." — Bender

Saint Croix āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

#11 on the all-time 50 baseball superstitions features a photo of Bob Uecker.

from the article, published in 2011

it seems as though announcers have the ability to jinx players

heh

Peachy+2 āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

baseball stadiums with roofs?
really?

Not an oldster. āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

Cheap win for the brew crew.
Real fans want the games decided on the merits, not tricky plays...enjoy your win ,ann..
You know it's not a clean win when you have to bring out two kids to bookend yourself with at the press conference. Save that for cute daughters greeting daddy after retirement or after a FEEL GOOD victory a player has earned,

FunkyPhD āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

What’s with the empty seats? A playoff game with the home team up by one run in the ninth?

Saint Croix āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

Wade Boggs

known as Chicken Man

ate chicken before every game

took an exact number of grounders

and drew the Hebrew word "Chai" in the dirt

("alive")

no word on whether the Israelis paid him to spread their religion

3,000 hits, possible Mossad plant

who does Tucker Carlson hate the most?

Moe Berg!

Curious George āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

"Peachy+2 said...
baseball stadiums with roofs?
really?"

It's really needed for the Brewers. The draw fans from all over Wisconsin, and if there was a chance for rain-out it would reduce their ability to draw fans.

The roof at AmFam is retractable, but I think they close it way too often. The game I went to it was clear all night and 70F at first pitch. Roof closed. I think they do it to increase crowd noise and make it harder for opposing teams not used to the background.

FunkyPhD āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

Never mind. I see that the graph of the ball’s flight is plotted over a picture taken during batting practice.

Peachy+2 āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

Curious George. Well OK then.

Peachy+2 āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

Colorado Rockies - the baseball stadium doesn't have a roof. Timeless brick design. Everyone loves it. (Unlike the hideous football stadium)

donald āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

I met Boggs in Vidalia Ga about ten years ago at a Pine Box Dwellers show (Still can’t believe he is a fan, but he is). He had been hunting hogs for six weeks. He was buying everything for everybody. He was great!

Curious George āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

"Peachy+2 said...
Colorado Rockies - the baseball stadium doesn't have a roof."

Denver is an arid climate. Almost never rains.

Eight MLB stadiums have roofs: seven with retractable roofs. Only Tampa has a fixed roof.

Peachy+2 āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

*Almost never rains - sing it.

Temujin āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

Seems crazy that that ball would still be considered 'in play' when it it's the building, but then I thought back to us playing as kids. The ball was ALWAYS in play no matter who's house or car it was hit off of.
Still...Brewers lucked out there.

Also- Wisconsin 'barely' got by the Spartans. I'm so old I can remember when Michigan State actually had a football program.

boatbuilder āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

Tampa has ground rules that certain fly balls are home runs or foul balls, depending upon what part of the roof "catwalks" they hit.

Curious George āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

"boatbuilder said...
Tampa has ground rules that certain fly balls are home runs or foul balls, depending upon what part of the roof "catwalks" they hit."

Close. It's home runs or "in play" if fair, depending on where it hits, and foul ball if it hits in foul territory.

Dunham āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

That is why we love Pat Murphy. Perfect thing to say. Uek is with us!

Michael Fitzgerald āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

Had no idea the Milwaukee baseball club played in an arena. I'm almost afraid to ask... Is Bernie Brewer still sliding out of his mug of suds after the home team homers?

n.n āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

A flukeing ballistic affirmative action.

R C Belaire āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

Volleyball is the same way -- hit the gym girders or roof, ball still in play. The high school girls need to have the reaction of a cat to handle the rebound.

Curious George āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

"Michael Fitzgerald said...
Had no idea the Milwaukee baseball club played in an arena. I'm almost afraid to ask... Is Bernie Brewer still sliding out of his mug of suds after the home team homers?"

He used to slide from his chalet INTO the mug of beer, but when they moved his up higher and now he just slides to a lower area. No more mug of suds.

MadisonMan āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

People have something to complain about. Everybody wins.

Michael Fitzgerald āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

Thank you, Curious George! I dunno, I guess it's nice to sober up after all these years, but the performance sounds kinda bland without the accoutrements. No booze, no balloons...He could at least slide into a cup of coffee.

Shoeless Joe āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

Ball’s fair and way out for a go ahead HR if it doesn’t hit the roof. Teams shouldn’t be allowed to have building structures in fair territory within maximum height of fly balls.

Curious George āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

"Michael Fitzgerald said...
Thank you, Curious George! I dunno, I guess it's nice to sober up after all these years, but the performance sounds kinda bland without the accoutrements. No booze, no balloons...He could at least slide into a cup of coffee."

I agree. What's the point if not to celebrate a homer with a nice cold beer? They're the BREWERs for crissakes. Now he slides down only to have to walk back up. Seems smore like a punishment.

Original Mike āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

"Ah, Bob Uecker. I spent a minute trying to figure out what damn religion this "Ueck" represented."

You're not from around here, are ya?

john mosby āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

Peachy: “ *Almost never rains - sing it.”

It almost never rains in Denver
But they got a lotta commie members
It pods, man it pours. CC, JSM

rehajm āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

….and then, Ueck momentarily scanned the crowd down the third base line and exclaimed “look at the tits on that one!!!”

Achilles āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

What a stupid league.

Ampersand āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

Team of Destiny

Ann Althouse āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

"What’s with the empty seats? A playoff game with the home team up by one run in the ninth?"

Crazy. I think it's people thinking about traffic.

Mason G āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

"Teams shouldn’t be allowed to have building structures in fair territory within maximum height of fly balls."

What is the maximum height of a fly ball?

Ann Althouse āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

Yeah, what is the maximum height?

Grok: "Ty France’s ninth-inning fly ball... left the bat at 105.3 mph with a 49-degree launch angle.... Since Statcast began in 2015, no home run at American Family Field has had a launch angle above 46 degrees, and only 10 over-the-fence homers anywhere in MLB have been hit at 49 degrees or higher. Statcast’s own estimate put this ball as a home run in only one park (Houston)...."

Curious George āĻŦāϞেāĻ›েāύ...

"Ann Althouse said...
"What’s with the empty seats? A playoff game with the home team up by one run in the ninth?"

Crazy. I think it's people thinking about traffic."

As was said earlier, the photo with the balls flight portrayed, was not during the game. It's also not of batting practice but during field prep. I doubt many people left early because of traffic.

By the way, the game was a sellout with 42,843 attending.

āĻāĻ•āϟি āĻŽāύ্āϤāĻŦ্āϝ āĻĒোāϏ্āϟ āĻ•āϰুāύ

Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.