I'm trying to read "The Thomas and Kavanaugh Hearings Restaged as a Theatre of Fact
'The Ford/Hill Project,' a documentary play, may capture recent events, but it’s a product of the present: activist theatre in a moment when the idea of civic urgency is losing purchase," by Doreen St. Félix, in The New Yorker. (Felix covered the Kavanaugh hearings for The New Yorker.)
"Hamilton’s Kavanaugh delivers his denial in bleats of indignation, and Bougere’s Thomas is rigid, stentorian, as he categorically rejects Hill’s claims. Because the stage is so empty, rid of the bureaucratic veneer of the so-called system, we start thinking about the state as an invisible force, everywhere and nowhere...."
I wondered if anyone had ever, before this, called anything a "crystalline emblem," and discovered the sad little world of car logos bedazzled with crystals. Like this.
"Crystalline emblem" could also be some magical object floating somewhere in a video game. As in "the naaru-like crystalline emblems on the spaulders are pretty cool."
But I get how it comes up in writing about art. "Crystalline" is one of those words like "luminous" that belong on a list of words never to use again to describe writing.

29 टिप्पणियां:
If I were going to create a crystalline emblem of the Thomas hearings, I would hang a luminous noose on stage. I expect my memory and opinion of these events is different from the play's author.
Sounds like a great big nothing-burger to be honest. Not as bad as the play about the chair arrangements, but close. How do play writers like this even get a venue? Sheesh.
it would be a better crystalline emblem if the women and the prosecutors wore Nazi uniforms. Plus, it would create exciting theatre as the audience re-enacted the Ride of the Valkyries.
Are we still a government of men? As opposed to a government of laws? Or increasingly, a government of women?
I would hang a giant nose and a luminous dong on stage for a dramatization of Edward Lear's poetic oeuvre.
A noose would go right over the oblivious libtards. I say a sign with the 'high-tech lynching' might be more appropriate.
Reality check:
AS was discussed at the time, the person the Democrats claimed Thomas to be was someone who wouldn't stop abusing women, now that he was on SCOTUS.
Yet there's never been another accusation.
OTOH, the Republican side was that Hill is an incompetent hack who made up stories about "harassment" to "explain" why it was that she kept on leaving great jobs, rather than that she was being fired for incompetence.
What has black female Democrat icon Professor Hill done with all that social capital?
Nothing.
Because she is the incompetent hack we said she was
Never mind "crystalline" or "luminous." "Theatre of Fact" is a lie.
As for Kavanaugh, CBF showed her psych notes to a WaPo reporter, who published that teh event happened in the mid 1980s. The problem was that by the mid 1980s, Kavanaugh was in college.
So she changed her story, refused to proved ANY date information (since Kavanaugh had a calendar from teh year she settled on, and could disprove her if she gave a date), and absolutely refused to let any honest person see those psych notes she'd shared with the reporter.
Anyone who pretends to believe CBF is simply establishing that they are a lying sack of shit, just like her
They say the stage is empty. I wonder how empty the rest of the theater is.
Lazarus said...
Are we still a government of men? As opposed to a government of laws? Or increasingly, a government of women?
That might be answered in the "I'm not a biologist" scene, but I don't think that scene is in the play.
"Our only horse, Dobbs, has run out of the barn, sir! I've just now shut the stable door."
"That's useless, boy. What we really need to do is put on a play."
"a moment when the idea of civic urgency is losing purchase"
I can extract a semblance of meaning from most of that except ... What is civic urgency?
The starship Enterprise, IIRC, encountered a crystalline entity, but that story was presented as fiction.
Masculist is not a word. And we have no art. But if we did have art, our play would feature a bad mommy strangling her children, one at a time. And 12 women would march up to the front of the stage and shout "Innocent!" while she was doing it.
I don't know how much money our play would make. But we definitely would have crazy pink shirts out front, protesting it. With pussies on their head.
"a moment when the idea of civic urgency is losing purchase"
translation
"Nobody is buying tickets"
“Bougere’s Thomas is rigid, stentorian, as he categorically rejects Hill’s claims.”
As well he might, given that Hill’s testimony was bullshit lies from opening statement to the end.
Get the REAL Clarence Thomas by watching “Created Equal: Clarence Thomas in His Own Words”.
Free to steam on Tubi TV.
All other crap out there is truly nothing but crap.
DEIsm.
Can't help but hear Stevie Nicks singing about "the crystalline knowledge of you" on that first Practical Magic soundtrack.
The phrase "crystalline emblem" makes me think of "Bedazzled".
A tacky (IMO) fashion trend among the Wally World set.
Or an accurate description of what passes for rational thought among the AWFLs.
I flew home from a business meeting yesterday. The woman next to me struck up a conversation. Maybe she read one of those articles on talking to strangers. The conversation was about her business which is selling crystals.
Crystalline. As in absurd lies preserved in amber to provide solace for aging libs in their hour of need.
Crystalline was the first word I thought of when I heard William Kapell's recording of Domenico Scarlatti's Sonata n E major k 380. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdwXETUCOC8
I'm trying hard to think of a less pleasant way to spend a couple of hours. Maybe having jalapeno peppers rubbed in my eyes?
This is a rather blatant attempt at crystal blue persuasion.
Might be worth watching if Carrot Top's cast as Christine Blasey-Ford.
And by the way, no one with the tiniest speck of common sense ever believed Christine Blasey-Ford.
@Leslie Graves I love when things resonate interpostally.
एक टिप्पणी भेजें
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.