২৭ সেপ্টেম্বর, ২০২৬

"I knew the risks were rising. The American basketball star Brittney Griner had been detained days before the invasion..."

"... the latest example of the Kremlin stockpiling foreign prisoners to secure diplomatic leverage. But the censorship laws hadn’t yet been applied to foreign journalists, and I felt a responsibility to continue working in the country if I could. I started taking short trips back to Russia. The importance of the work, and the sense of covering history in the making, made me feel alive. The door to cell No 40 slammed shut. I heard the clank of metal keys in the lock behind me, the deadbolt sliding into place with two noisy turns...."

From "Evan Gershkovich, a Wall Street Journal reporter in Russia, thought he was meeting a sourceInstead he was arrested for spying. In an exclusive extract from his prison diaries, he reveals how he survived — and won his freedom" (London Times).

৪টি মন্তব্য:

Aggie বলেছেন...

Well.... didn't Griner get busted for carrying dope in her bags? Like, a really stupid thing to do, when traveling internationally? Is that really a good data point to evoke to illustrate your own danger level? I think it points to drama queenery.

Wince বলেছেন...

“I heard the clank of metal keys in the paywall in front of me, the deadbolt sliding into place with two noisy turns....and realized this is no way to market my book.”

Iman বলেছেন...

We got the sharp end of the stick on that trade for Griner, the oxygen thief.

Money Manger বলেছেন...

Evan got arrested in what was clearly a set-up. I don't want to blame the victim here, but he should have been ultra-wary at all times, and his spidey-sense when he was at the bar where he got arrested should have told him to just walk away.

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন

Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.