From "For 11 days, a lost hiker shouted for help. Then two kayakers appeared" (WaPo gift link).
The island was Isle Royale.
Berg — Craig Berg — was a 70-year-old man who thought that, with his phone and its mapping app, he was properly equipped. If you're trusting your phone for everything, it should not be possible for it to "disappear."
Read about Isle Royale, here, at Wikipedia, including its most well-known story of survival, that of Angelique Mott:
In 1845, an Ojibwe woman named Angelique and her voyageur husband Charlie Mott were left on Isle Royale, as hires for Cyrus Mendenhall and the Lake Superior Copper Company. They were hired and carried to Isle Royale by Mendenhall's schooner, the Algonquin, first to scout for copper. Angelique found a large mass of copper ore, upon which she and her husband were hired to stay and guard until a barge could come to retrieve it, promised in no more than 3 months' time. They were dropped off in July and were left stranded there until the following Spring. They were left with minimal provisions, which consisted of a half-barrel of flour, six pounds of butter, and some beans. A supply boat was promised to arrive after the first few weeks, but it was never sent out....
They lost their canoe in a fall storm, and their fishing net was destroyed. By January 1846, Charlie went mad with hunger and even threatened to murder and eat Angelique. He returned to himself, loving and soft, but was weakening greatly, and eventually succumbed to his starvation, dying. Angelique was forced to leave the body in the cabin and created a brush shelter for herself to live in. She survived by eating poplar bark, bitter berries, and by pulling out her own hair, plaiting the strands, and creating snares with it, by which she caught rabbits on rare occasions. In the Spring of 1846, the Algonquin returned, and brought Angelique back to her mother.
She died in 1874, in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario.
I note that he thought of murdering her to eat her, but she not only declined to eat him when he died of natural causes, she left his body to occupy the cabin and made a separate shelter for herself. It seems too much to believe — catching rabbits with nets snares made from her own hair.
ADDED: They made a movie about her:

50 కామెంట్లు:
A number of posts the last couple days in which “hair” is part of the discussion.
I camped on Isle Royale. Last time I ever camped. Never was happier than when we returned to the mainland.
Guy was an idiot to go by himself.
"Never was happier than when we returned to the mainland.
Guy was an idiot to go by himself."
Has it occurred to you that you're not qualified to judge? (Does that ever occur to you?)
I can't read the story, but I can't see what the phone and mapping app have to do with it? Surely he wasn't lost; it's a freaking island. Did he injure himself and become incapacitated.
(Depending on a phone for wayfinding *is* idiotic. It suggests he was unqualified for backcountry travel.)
Not with nets - with snares. Snares require a lot less material. They're just little lassos; you put them across small game trails.
Bradford Angier for the win, again.
(I'm glad to be reminded about snares; not that I'm planning to be stranded in the wild any time soon, but I do have long hair, hair is quite strong, and it does sound like a better plan than nothing at all.)
Also - I dunno; I can imagine some very disgusting water indeed. Color and murkiness are not the qualities that would make water "the most disgusting... that [I] could imagine."
that's HOW quicksand kills you: Hypothemia, then starvation.
you step in.. you are STUCK, until (IF!) people come and pull you out
The thing about backpacking is, you're carrying everything you need to survive *on your back*. Assuming you know what you're doing.
Original Mike, The results speak for themselves. But for the luck of some kayakers finding Berg, he’s a dead man.
"If you're trusting your phone for everything, it should not be possible for it to "disappear."
ai answers: "Yes, dogs have swallowed mobile phones whole on multiple recorded occasions and required emergency surgery to remove them."
He was clearly unqualified to be doing what he was doing, and can fairly be called an idiot for not recognizing that.
The thing about places like Isle Royale is that they're full of people. I'm surprised he went 11 days without running into somebody.
I'm reminded of the guy who simply got his foot stuck between rocks in a boulder field and starved to death. Nothing in reach to lever one rock off another; nothing (or not enough) burnable to try to signal with; nothing edible but what was in his day pack. No knife? - that's a detail I don't remember, but let's say he succeeded in cutting off whatever part of his foot (or leg - I seem to recall it was his ankle that got itself wedged when a rock shifted as he slipped between two small boulders, such that he'd have had to remove his whole foot at the ankle).. What then? He was in a boulder field; could he have crawled out of it?
So he starved, sitting on top of the boulders with his foot wedged between a couple.
It seems to me your most important safety precaution is a buddy.
Mendelbaum! Mendelbaum! Oh, my back.
"It seems to me your most important safety precaution is a buddy."
It's safER, but solo backcountry travel is not inherently unsafe, if you know what you're doing. I've done many such trips. It's immensely satisfying. I did pay strict attention to the simple act of walking. I was always concerned about turning an ankle. But like I say, in a place like Isle Royale there are a lot of people. In season, somebody always happens along.
@ Jamie
That was Mike Turner, a minister from Idaho backpacking alone with his dog in the Wind River Range in WY.
He actually died of thirst staring at a lake just out reach. Both his legs were pinned above the knees. He wrote his thoughts in a notebook as he waited for a rescue that never came.
Here's the story:
https://www.backpacker.com/trips/trips-by-state/wyoming-trails/trapped-the-mike-turner-story/
It’s called a Personal Locator Beacon and while they cost &200 to $400, that’s dirt cheap next to the cost of your funeral. It sends a message via satellite on a monitored channel that you’re in trouble, along with your GPS coordinates.
I do some hiking and use gps, but I always bring a paper map and a compass too. I lived in upper lower MI but never went to the Isle. It’s rocky and boggy without man made trails. And they make good filter straws now that take out everything except viruses.
"It’s called a Personal Locator Beacon"
If I was still doing serious backcountry travel, I would certainly get one. This guy should have had one instead of a stupid phone.
ALWAYS have a paper map, compass, and know how to use them.
THAT'S right, Bob Boyd! I was sitting here thinking, "It had to be thirst, not hunger, unless he got rained on and then it would've been hypothermia..." But I didn't check up on the story. So sad.
Yes. Even a day hike is inherently unsafe*, even for the prepared. But so is driving to the trailhead.
* In my mid-20s when I lived in Seattle, I was working a temporary assignment in Phoenix for a few weeks and decided to go to South Mountain Park for a hike one Saturday, because I'd lived in Mesa as a child and had happy memories of picnicking in that park with my family. I brought plenty of water (I thought). I had good shoes, sunblock, a hat, and knew that the trail I would be on was well traveled, even though I myself didn't have a buddy. That mountain still tried to kill me. I remember plodding up the trail, barely lifting my head as I passed people coming down - and finally realized that despite my slow, unacclimated pace, I was the only one traveling uphill, and couldn't count on anyone coming downhill to take pity on me. My water was already dwindling. Fortunately I retained enough mental wherewithal to realize that I needed to turn back RIGHT THEN.
Spent that evening in the hotel in a shallow tub of cool water with the worst headache of my life. I used to RUN up that trail as a child...
I am dubious of the whole story, mainly because he claims to have drunk "the most disgusting water that you could imagine." That's how most people in wilderness situations die, dysentery—or worse.
AI agrees, "If someone drinks untreated, highly contaminated surface water on Isle Royale National Park, they are putting themselves at extreme risk for severe waterborne illnesses.
" Isle Royale has no roads, no cars, and you can only reach it by boat or seaplane. It's also one of the least-visited parks in the lower 48, but where visitors spend the most time on average (the average national park visit is 4 hours, but in Isle Royale it's almost 4 days!"
I guess they must have good wifi or something ...
Yeah, I'd have a printed out map, with a marked out route if possible. And a waterproof compass.
Fortunately, the 70 year survived his bad luck and worse water.
But my phone has that find your phone app, so this could never happen to me.
My grandkids backpack around Isle Royale for a week at a time. I have not heard them say it is desolate. They must know what they are doing because it doesn't take much to get lost off a trail. Speaking from experience.
"ALWAYS have a paper map, compass, and know how to use them."
I hike blindfolded and barefoot like my ancestral tribe, the Blinded Blackfeet.
Small water filtration units for backpacking have been available for decades. It would be a requirement for doing something like Isle Royale. He didn't have one?
Darwin almost wins again. Unprepared and stupid are not the best ways to go into the "wild".
Tonight on "Naked and Afraid"....
Berg somehow veered off what he described as a poorly marked trail and ended up in a swamp. He fell, drenching his clothes, bag and food.
Somehow!!
The guy sounds very poorly equipped for lone hiking.
bagoh @11:09, heh.
People tease me because I have so many paper maps. I actually keep Thomas Guides in my car. I'm just one of those people who can navigate a paper map more easily than I can navigate on my phone. I also have an old Garmin GPS in my car, but the obvious thing about maps is that they don't stop working if they get dropped, get soaked or their batteries get depleted.
I don't hike or go camping, but if I were to actually do that, I imagine that it would involve a lot of prep/research to specifically avoid getting lost. Even if I just have to drive up into the Los Angeles area, I'll spend time the night before studying the route to avoid getting lost. (I don't like being late to appointments.)
A cousin of ours in his mid-50s, an avid hiker, was visiting Seattle for the weekend one December a dozen or so years ago, and decided to do a day hike on Mt Rainier. We don't know what happened exactly, but it seems he slipped and fell, got wet and disoriented, and never made it back. Hiking alone is never a good idea. Phones often don't have service in remote areas.
"I note that he thought of murdering her to eat her, but she not only declined to eat him when he died of natural causes, she left his body to occupy the cabin and made a separate shelter for herself. It seems too much to believe — catching rabbits with nets snares made from her own hair."
Well, the survivor gets to tell the tale. She probably left him in the cabin because she assumed (probably correctly, given the year and the prevailing sentiments at the time) that otherwise she would be blamed for his death.
I hike in wilderness areas often and always carry a water filter or Lifestraw, emergency blanket, fire starter, whistle, headlamp, compass, and tiny first aid kit— if I bring the Lifestraw instead of a full filter I would guess that all of that weighs less than five pounds. My husband always laughs at me for bringing all of that stuff with on a day hike but I bet he’d want to share it if something happened so we needed it, haha!
On a beautiful New Years day, 2015, at age 65, I decided to take a short day hike by myself from the parking lot at the foot of Brasstown Bald, up the other direction to find the source of the Chattahoochee River, close to the Appalachian Trail in north Georgia. The woods were lovely and silent, cool and sunny, no cell sinal whatsoever, and after about an hour in I had not met another soul. Since I was just hiking in and out I had brought nothing but the clothes on my back.
Then it dawned on me. If I slip and break an ankle I am stuck here by myself until somebody happens to come along. So, in a moment of mature reflection I told myself, "Son, you are too old for this shit. Carefully walk back to the car." So I did.
I’m a fan of Nevada Barr’s Anna Pigeon mysteries, two of which are set in Isle Royale. The first (the second in the series) is “A Superior Death,” and the crime scene is unique: 260 below the surface of Lake Superior. The other is “Winter Study” and involves a scientific study of wolves on Isle Royale. A reminder that it is our fellow humans who are the most dangerous predator of humans.
Use the Althouse Amazon portal, please.
"His hiking boots fell off..."
How does this happen?
"How does this happen?"
I tried to pull my foot out of a mud pool once and my foot came out of my hiking boot. Not exactly "falling off", but I'm guessing that's what happened to him.
As it happened, at the time I was in the midst of perhaps the worst hangover of my life. Standing on one foot, watching the mud flow into my boot, it was a "you've got to be kidding?" moment. Remember it vividly to this day.
He probably didn’t tie his boots very well.
The fact that rabbits can’t walk backwards, or so my Boy Scout manual said, has saved many from starvation.
One can drink "disgusting water" and survive. There are two ways. First just because some swamp water is muddy and gunky doesn't mean its 100 percent going to give you diarehha (sic). And, two, maybe the guy had water purification pills. Which make the bad taste even worse, but also kill the bacteria.
"I tried to pull my foot out of a mud pool once and my foot came out of my hiking boot."
I could see that happening.
"Not exactly "falling off","
That's why I asked. Wouldn't a decent writer be able to do a better job of describing how he lost his boots?
The cold wet enviroment of the pacific northwest is probably the worst place to get lost in. You wont die of thrist, but hypothermia is always a concern.
"My husband always laughs at me for bringing all of that stuff with on a day hike "
Tell your husband you're smarter than he is.
I (almost) always take a survival kit on day hikes.
"water purification pills"
Nobody uses those anymore. A hand-pumped water filter is the way to go.
As I said upthread, if you're backpacking you're carrying an entire survival kit on your back. I don't know why he freaked out. What the hell was he doing for 11 days?
Isle Royale is 45 x 9 miles. You head for the coast. You are sure to come across a trail.
No one goes there anymore.
Its too crowded.
When I hike I have a vest (kind of a fishing vest) with matches, compass, signal mirror, whistle, knife, first aid supplies, sun tan lotion, mosquito repellant, etc.. in it. Water Canteen that has some freeze dried food in a cup that holds the canteen. Also snake chaps as we have rattlers, Moccasins, and copperheads here. And being in USA (mostly Texas) I pack a Ruger Security Six .357. Also hiking staff and hat.
Of course I also dress properly for the weather.
Now a cell phone is also with me but in such as Crockett National Forrest there is much ground that is not covered with a cell phone.. hence you are on your own!!
And that, folks, is how you really prepare. Don't kid yourself in thinking you won't need it.
Dehydration is no joke. We were hiking a longish trail one June day at Smith Rock in Oregon which is in the high desert. Each of us (2 older adults and 2 teens) carried 2.5 to 3 liters of water in our hydration packs. We met a group of young women coming the other way on the loop when one of them collapsed. They were each carrying a 20 ounce bottle of water. After refilling their bottles from our packs and seeing the one woman recover somewhat, we continued on. But after sharing we were out of water by the time we finished the hike, which was too close for our comfort level. The other group got back successfully as well.
కామెంట్ను పోస్ట్ చేయండి
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.