"... by the sartorial flotsam that comes packing itself in. The other night a guy came in with a shoulder-length butt cut and his T-shirt tucked into his jeans. 'Now there’s a dork,' I thought. I could’ve clocked him from down the block. But no. An hour later I went outside, and he was making out in the alley with a six-foot freaking supermodel — and she was goth. Or at least she was dressed like what I consider to be a goth; nowadays I don’t even know..... Why is everybody under the age of 30 these days dressed like an actual lunatic?... The subcultures of my youth were a sort of surrogate extended family. In a society jettisoning the type of organizations and communities that stitched it together over the 20th century, finding someone or a group of someones who were the same thing as you served as a bulwark against the fracturing sense of atomization. Making up a subculture every couple of months basically does the opposite, keeping you permanently aloof from the kids around you. I mean, half these things barely sound like groups of anything. What the hell is a performative matcha boy — some guy who drinks a thing? How’s that going to be your tribe?"
#1 reason for blogging this story: It used my favorite word, "flummox."
৫০টি মন্তব্য:
“The other night a guy came in with a shoulder-length butt cut and his T-shirt tucked into his jeans. 'Now there’s a dork,' I thought. I could’ve clocked him from down the block. But no. An hour later I went outside, and he was making out in the alley with a six-foot freaking supermodel.”
Sounds like it’s working for him. Watch and learn.
I am flummoxed that the NY Post thinks that scientist Anthony Fauci would seriously consiider that Covid 19 vaccine could theoretically be linked to miscarriages. Perhaps the good Dr should sue the Post.
The MSM used to be full of stories praising "Youth" and talking about their departing from the "old tired ways" of their elders.
Now, they're old men waving their canes at the crazy young people. Get off my lawn, and put on some good clothes.
The cry-baby left - in fashion.
Gadfly
I know someone who's daughter gave birth to a baby girl & the baby's organs were shoved up into her chest. After her birth - her parents held her for mere seconds - then the baby was rushed off to surgery.
The mother is a school teacher - forced to get all of Fauci's big pharma untested jabs. The DOCTORS ALL SAID THE BIRTH DEFECTS WERE DUE TO THE FORCED JABS - during the mother's pregnancy and prior to her pregnancy.
This did not make your precious BS NOW. (D)
These are the same people who live off mommy and daddy - and vote for Kamala.
A lot of this is trend following, and I'm pointing fingers at the "Hair" generation of the early 1970s and the 1990s mega-jeans that looked like double skirts.
PJs in public are now a common thing. IMO this arose with the COVID lockdowns and a sense "You are coming into my house on video, take me as I really am." They then flipped it to "I'll be myself in the world because I'm tracked and on video everywhere." With remote school, remote work, and a most people nose-down in their phones, no one says "no" and no one cares.
There's a pathological-logic here. The patho-logic generation.
Occam's Razor. Trump.
Trump is personally responsible for every bad thing that happens in America.
I'm flummoxed. What's the topic of this post? The word flummox, or the fact that kids today are really, really, weird?
I've started to count tatted women at my grocery store. Last time it was slightly less than 50%.
Saw the Performative Matcha Boys at the Riverside in '17. They opened for String Cheese Incident.
…Working at NYT? Now there’s a dork…
This is why I've taken to drinking at the beer counter in my supermarket. It's a much mellower scene.
It's very, very sad. These poor kids get ugly tattoos and just have an overall disgusting look. They look like drug addicts or homeless people. Sad stuff.
@ gadfly
Since you're too stupid to stay on subject, here are Fauci's own words:
""I asked around a bit more and another issue came up that you need to be aware of," wrote Fauci in a Jan. 25, 2021, text exchange with then-Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky and Surgeon General Vivek Murthy.
"Since many people have significant cytokines storm and fever after the 2nd dose, this theoretically could be associated with miscarriage in the 1st trimester."
Ultimate Flummox: In 1978 as a new young teacher in a predominately Af-Am school the students would dress as members of their favorite band. You would think Earth Wind and Fire or Funkadelic. Maybe as a member of the Rick James review.. You would have been as flummoxed as I was to see them dressed and painted up as members of the band Kiss. It's been 50 years and the effects of that fuckig fabulous flummox are still with me as part of my PTSD from teaching in public schools.
Why are people talking about the Covid vaccine causing miscarriages? It is not true. If anything, recently vaccinated women had lower rates of miscarriage.
Look, stop blaming everybody else for your problems. The average American woman is 5 foot 3 inches tall and weighs close to 180 pounds. That is massively obese. This type of woman is pregnant and she gets Covid? That's bad news all around.
Does Thomas Morton wear an onion on his belt?
Perhaps it was some Gen Z-er who came up with "Someone unlocked this story for you."
I'm not an unreasonable man.
"Released" would have been close enough.
News or a handmade tale?
Anyone else suspect that six foot goth supermodel was a dude?
This coverup by Fauci and his Deep State buddies needs to THE ISSUE. This needs to be the GOP's lawfare. Biden tried to jail Trump for non-crimes. It actually is a federal crime to conceal health risks to the public. 21 USC 331.
Shouldn't pregnant people have had the right to choose to get the covid vaccine or not?
And, of course, now we need to litigate the Fauci pardon. Biden needs to be deposed - on video - before he dies about whether he actually authorized the autopen pardon.
National Lampoon magazine cover, August 1978:
Today's Teens
They have no respect for their elders, they dress like bums, and their music... It's just noise.
With an illustration of a couple of hippie-looking parents and a Brook Shields-looking teenager.
@Rocco, the sartorial flotsam came in with a shoulder-length butt cut and his T-shirt tucked into his jeans...which was the style at the time.
You can view it here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NCRQZ75?lv=shuf&channelId=500&plpRedirect=mhFallback
Hey...
Sartorial flotsam...
So I'm not with "it", eh?
Well...I used to be with "it".
But then they changed what "it" was
Now what I am isn't "it"
And what is "it" is weird and scary to me
IT WILL HAPPEN TO YOU
If this is the way young people look where you hang out, maybe you should hang out somewhere else. I don't see anyone who looks this way where I am. That is: Not Chicago, Not New York, Not LA.
Flummox that lummox with orthodox praecox.
[shrug] I'm thinking of the Cantina Scene. Maybe you don't need to tie yourself so closely to your "subculture" via dress. I agree that fashion does signify various things, or can, anyway - but does it HAVE to be so consequential as to *define* your "subculture"?
What's worse, sartorial flotsam or vestiary jetsam?
"I'm thinking of the Cantina Scene."
You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy, except in the mayor's office.
Don’t worry, Gen-Z. Gen-X hates the Millennials more than you do. The Millenjials make the Boomers look like The Founders.
Flummox works better when it’s not in passive voice. The passive voice is for nonplussed.
Gen-Z flummoxes Millennials.
Millennials are nonplussed by Gen-Z.
I like “flummox” very much, but I like circumlocution even more.
Nonplussed is great, too.
And, yes, I use all three IRL.
Anyone for badinage?
Once being flummoxed becomes a routine do you have any reason or excuse for still being flummoxed?
"He'll be what the Italians call reg'larly flummoxed." - Sam Weller, in Charles Dickens' "The Pickwick Papers." The word goes back a few years before that.
A Rebours.
Fashion forward. Fashion fringe. Fashion foolish. There is precedent dragging your pants on the ground.
https://youtu.be/tMwhl4IrPNc?si=5HqzPy2-7VVN7RsV
It usually peters out. With the stakes of social media, and lack of cholera and syphilis, it may not this time.
My wife told me her father was quite fond of the word lummox and used it frequently when disciplining her brothers.
I'm old, OK. And probably a "dork." But am I the only one who has no idea what a "shoulder-length butt cut" is, or why it's wrong to tuck your t-shirt into your jeans?
Today's squares, railing against today's beatnicks. What is an old guy contributing opinion essays to the NYT doing 'working the door' at a Chicago club for kidz?
And when did NYT gift links start demanding login information? Last month I could just click on the link.
boatbuilder said...
....why it's wrong to tuck your t-shirt into your jeans?
-----------------
For me it's only wrong if I'm conceal carrying without a jacket.
Interested Bystander said, "Anyone else suspect that six foot goth supermodel was a dude?"
------------------------------------------------------------------
Underrated assumption.
Boatbuilder, I assume is was a T-shirt with a slogan, meme, design on it, that you wear over your jeans and belt -- not a white t-shirt that one tucks into their jeans.
Maybe butt cut guy has hella followers, subs.
Jabfly bursts into room to question attacks on his demigod Fauci.
Matcha Match man.
I want to be, a Matcha man.
One man's (sartorial) flotsam is another man's jetsam.
I bet the bar’s patrons go to enormous lengths to avoid conversation with this guy.
একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.