"... at the bizarre, lonely intersection of second-wave feminism and Manhattan privilege. Many of the girls in my private high school had their breasts enlarged and their noses shrunk. I congratulated myself for not following suit, even though I didn’t have a bump on my nose and I wasn’t flat chested. My mother, the writer Erica Jong, had a whole gestalt back then: pro-sex feminism, which of course meant keeping herself appealing enough for men to want to have sex with her. She worried about her own weight and beauty constantly. Julia Phillips, a successful film producer and writer, once compared her to 'Miss Piggy when her face is in repose'.... My mom was the concubine of more than a few powerful men. To preserve that status, she had a face-lift in her 50s. Many of the feminists who populated my mother’s narrow townhouse — Andrea Dworkin, Betty Friedan and Phyllis Chesler among them — did not believe in molding themselves into something different for men’s delectation. These women rejected the beauty-obsessed power structure that my mother embraced. Instead, they hoped to change that culture by refusing to comply with it...."
Writes Molly Jong-Fast, who got a deep plane face- and neck-lift, in "I’m Not Going to Lie About My Neck" (NYT gift link).

88 comments:
'....I'm not going to lie about my neck....'
I'd be happy to settle for 'I'm not going to talk about my neck'. But there it is.
"...Julia Phillips, a successful film producer and writer, once compared her to 'Miss Piggy when her face is in repose.'"
Resting Miss Piggy face?
But it's the "male gaze" that's the problem?
When all other options are eliminated, one must accept what remains as the truth.
Feminism = whatever makes a specific woman feel better at a specific point in time regarding a specific topic.
betty friedan.. it amazes me that people still act like she wasn't evil.
if you haven't read her Femine Mystic book, i'd Really Recomend it.
If you read it long ago, and you think that it was good..
i'd REALLY recommend that you read it again.
White Wives are BORED.. So THEY DESERVE JOBS (at the expense of working black men)
I, like many a young woman, was once wildly judgmental about plastic surgery. I grew up in the 1990s..."
"... at the bizarre, lonely intersection of second-wave feminism and Manhattan privilege
LOL!
This is just an average woman who has been elevated to a position she doesn't deserve and serves no useful purpose to society.
She should have had some kids and raised them.
Instead we are treated to her vapid stupidities and shallow thoughts while she closed the "wage gap" and built her "career."
"What'cha lookin' at, man?"
Oh, nothin... I wasn't lookin' at his neck, man."
Like many cutting edge social theories, feminism operates as a device to justify doing the stupid damn thing you would have done anyway.
Turkey necks. Gobble. Gobble. No thanks.. giving. The more you know.
Writes Molly Jong-Fast, who got a deep plane face- and neck-lift, in "I’m Not Going to Lie About My Neck" (NYT gift link).
This is just standard intra-sexual competition.
When she was young she opposed older women trying to look better.
Now that she is old she supports her own efforts to compete with younger women.
She is just an average woman with no particular deep thoughts and our society has had millions of these average women foisted on us and given positions of status and "jobs" like NYTs reporter.
She gets paid way more than what an electrical apprentice or HVAC repairmen makes. But they work outside in important jobs that support our society while she spouts stupidity and provides grist for the Althouse comment section and stupid people who read the NYTs.
Mid wit changes her mind about youth after it's too late.
Film at 11, 12:30, 1:45, ...
"Deep plane". Oogh. As a woodworker that concept makes me queasy. Better her than me.
...To the 2020s bizarre, lonelier intersection of 5th-wave whatsawoman and trans privilege. I can't wait to see what 6th-wave whateverism has in store. Gonna be lit.
Feminism is a class-disordered ideology incorporated under the Diversity umbrella. That said, equal and complementary.
Feminist rationalization hamster go brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
If we ended all of the stupid midwit jobs like NYTs reporter and HR and Social Media Marketer and Public School Teacher and government employee and paid that money to men who build and maintain our infrastructure and those women had children instead we would be infinitely better off as a country.
Instead we get 40 year old harem girls who change their mind about plastic surgery.
"I wasn't lookin' at his neck. I wasn't lookin' at his neck."
BANG!.
Julia Phillips - she was the one who wrote You'll Never Eat Lunch In This Town Again, a book I read with horrified fascination at the age of 25ish. A memory of Hollywood depradation and excess. There are scenes and lines that have stayed with me (and not in a good way) for more than thirty years now.
She herself was a hot mess throughout.
On a related topic, I'm staying at my brother's house at present, and he likes playing with Gemini's image generator. The other night, he had me text him a recent picture of myself, and had Gemini age me up to 70.
Result: I like Gemini!
Then I decided to try the same thing with Chat and Grok, the two AIs I use. Turns out I like them even better! I'm going to look GREAT at 70, apparently.
Darn it, a MEMOIR, not a memory.
It's Molly Jong-Fast's wild, wacky and wonderful world. The rest of us just live in it. She reminds me of the guy who was always mumbling to himself, "I love my mommy. I hate my mommy." The Bulwark has let Molly into their big tent. I wonder if they regret it yet.
"My mom was the concubine of more than a few powerful men. To preserve that status"
More dispatches from the bizzaro NYT's social world.
I doubt the three mentioned in the snippet Andrea Dworkin, Betty Friedan and Phyllis Chesler did anything to make themselves took good. Friedan was a communist. Dorwkin was the daughter of a communist. Chester a just a standard leftist. All three were Jews, like Molly-Fast. Chester married an Israeli. Dworkin wanted to be a Talmudic Scholar.
Incredibly two the three had kids. After looking at their pictures, I assume their husbands put brown bags on their heads to complete the act.
**Wince said...Resting Miss Piggy face?
But it's the "male gaze" that's the problem?**
Women are brutal in a way most men can't compete with.
A woman was my teacher. My teacher is a doctor. My doctor is a mother. Who am I?
"Women are brutal in a way most men can't compete with."
The great philosopher Al Bundy once said, "Don't try to understand women. Women understand women, and they hate each other."
From the picture provided with the article, she looks younger than her actual age, but I don't think she'll be overly troubled with the male gaze......I like the gratuitous slam against her mother. She is developing and perfecting her mastery of the Mommy Dearest genre. No doubt she'll elaborate on these thoughts in future books and articles.
"Friedan was a communist. Dorwkin was the daughter of a communist. Chester a just a standard leftist. All three were Jews, like Molly-Fast. Chester married an Israeli. Dworkin wanted to be a Talmudic Scholar."
There is a very strong, highly-correlated, often alluded to but little discussed nexus between feminism, communism, and Judaism. So strong in fact its consistent omission suggests deliberate avoidance. Cause reasons...
Gotta say, the line "My mom was the concubine of more than a few powerful men." is not a line that anyone should be saying, especially not with pride. What kind of warped values would you be teaching your daughters, especially? I guess "The best way for a girl to get a head is for a girl to give some head?" Or "the way to the top involves lying on your back?" How.... feminist.
Sadly Joan Crawford has passed away and is not available to play the movie version of her mother. I guess they'll have to settle for Ann Hathaway.
Read her mom’s novel and the thought that this is all projection about how women think of men will not be far off.
Is the content / image divide coming together?
The rule of thumb, if you will, was that content trumped image.
That's why, for instance, Diana Krall breakout album has her looking like a model. After she made it, all of that stopped.
Are we judging books by the cover now?
Judaism is a matriarchal religion led by men. Stop.
We're back to defining women, and little girls, too. Progress? Yes.
I read Fear of Flying back when. It was sort of okay, but I read some of it as a feminist version of Portnoy's Complaint. AI tells me that Julia Philips tried to get a movie version of the book off the ground, but failed. There might be some kind of back story with her mother and Julia Phillips.......I didn't read the book, but the daughter has some kind of tell all book about her mother. I checked with AI. They're making a movie out of the daughter's book--"How to Lose Your Mother--A Daughtere's Memoir", Amanda Seyfried is set to star.
Zaftig is a thing many, maybe most men like, if you look like miss piggy, and keep the extra pounds within reason, you will do fine, but maybe not with the sociopathic CEO who will discard you when your hair grows grey that you crave.
Fasting, in moderation, can mitigate gobble undulation, and garrner thanks giving.
Plastique can be used in IEDs when the fem becomes the bomb.
"Judaism is...led by men."
It sure looks like that from the outside. Woody Allen would disagree.
Andrea Dworkin ....among them — did not believe in molding themselves into something different for men’s delectation. These women rejected the beauty-obsessed power structure
Dworkin, butt-ugly as she was, needn't have given it a single thought. It was her view that traditional heterosexual intercourse inherently promoted male supremacy and violence against women. Presumably, she tired of horny men puking up their dinner onto her blubbery belly in the course of...uh oh...I can't even finish the sentence. Gotta run!
- Krumhorn
“My mom was the concubine of more than a few powerful men.”
I read this and shook my head. I would be ashamed for this information to see the light of day. “Yep mom was a whore.”
@Humperdink, n.n said it best 2 days ago:
"Gen TMI"
Ugh. I thought we'd all seen the (rear) end of Jong One and Two. My NYTimes feed actually sent me this article right after one about how to stuff Quahog clams. It seems fitting.
As I scan wiki, it appears her mother is still alive. She must be thrilled. (Sarc)
n.n said...
“A woman was my teacher. My teacher is a doctor. My doctor is a mother. Who am I?”
n.n.
( It says it right there at the top of your post.)
Momma's boy need not be insulting, but it must be reconcilable.
Molly, "My mom was the concubine of more than a few powerful men."
A proud achievement. Maybe she can write a book, "My Mother the Slut."
Did mom get any money for putting out for powerful men? Or was it just a one-way deal?
Why buy the cow when the milk is free?
I've seen MJF on TV. She's just another mentally ill liberal.
Humperdink said...
“My mom was the concubine of more than a few powerful men.”
I read this and shook my head. I would be ashamed for this information to see the light of day. “Yep mom was a whore.”
This pretty much sums up feminism.
It has been an absolute disaster for women.
In Molly's eyes the mistake was getting married and having kids.
Kids like... her.
A asked AI: Would it be good idea to write a memoir including the sentence: " "My mom was the concubine of more than a few powerful men"
AI said
It can be a good idea only if that line is both true in your life and written in a way that protects you (and others) from avoidable harm.
A few practical points to decide:
Truth + specificity: If you’re describing real events, “more than a few powerful men” is vague. Vagueness can turn into “I’m implying something” rather than “I’m telling my story,” which can be harder for readers to interpret and for you to stand behind.
Impact on real people: Even if it’s true, naming or clearly identifying anyone (or making them easy to identify) can create legal/social blowback—especially with phrasing that carries stigma (“concubine” is loaded).
Tone and agency: The sentence frames your mom primarily through other men’s power. If your goal is memoir (interiority, complexity, survival, relationships, choices), you may want to adjust the wording so it centers her experience rather than only the scandalous framing.
Reader understanding: If you keep it, you’ll likely need nearby context: why it happened, what it meant for her, what she wanted, and what you want the reader to take away.
If you want to keep the core meaning but make it memoir-appropriate, here are safer stylistic options (pick the one that matches what you actually mean):
More neutral: “My mom was involved in relationships with several powerful men.”
More self-reflective: “In the story I grew up with, my mom’s life intersected with the interests of powerful men.”
More her-centered: “Powerful men had a claim on my mom’s life—sometimes openly, sometimes through arrangements I only understood later.”
If you truly mean sex-for-status and want it explicit but controlled: “In those days, my mom lived in a position others arranged for her with men of influence.”
If you tell me (1) whether this is about real named people or anonymized figures, and (2) what you want the reader to feel (shock, empathy, anger, clarity), I can help you rewrite the sentence and the surrounding paragraph so it lands with maximum accuracy and minimal collateral damage.
I love this: "If you want to keep the core meaning but make it memoir-appropriate, here are safer stylistic options..." The options all seem to me a lot worse but then I'm in the curmudgeon zone.
"( It says it right there at the top of your post.)"
You're no fun. It was a trivia proposition, a quaint query.
n.n. is merely an alias, a doppelganger of m.e.
Molly Jong-Fast is insufferable.
"My mom was the concubine of more than a few powerful men" is that supposed to be some kind of flex? Good God woman. Put the pen down.
“ These women rejected the beauty-obsessed power structure that my mother embraced. Instead, they hoped to change that culture by refusing to comply with it...."
Ah, feminists. Always good for a laugh.
My mudder took a knee to Diverse? Diverse massa's willies with "benefits".
This came to mind:
“Honor your father and mother so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.”
As my lovely bride reminded me, a “cocubine” doesn’t sleep around. A concubine is basically the possession of one man.
And a man can have several concubines.
"As I scan wiki, it appears her mother is still alive. She must be thrilled."
Erica Jong has dementia and is not able to read and understand what is published about her. We know this from things her own daughter has written.
In feminism, it would appear no sin goes unpublished. Lol, screw sin...NOTHING AT ALL goes unpublished!
"My mom was the concubine of more than a few powerful men.”
“My mom was a side piece.”
“My mom was the concubine of more than a few powerful men” reads like an insult.
The word “concubine” suggests not merely that Jong had affairs with influential men, but that she accepted a subordinate role shaped by their power and desires. Her daughter seems to imply that Jong wrote about sexual autonomy but, in her private life, reverted to an older, exploitative template.
Yay for me! I didn’t take the bait.
I hope Molly is very happy to have banished her turkey neck.
Molly’s three children are taking notes.
"My mom was the female version of Jeffrey Epstein."
The honeypot book Dale Carnegie didn't write: "How to Win Friends and Incriminate People."
“Honor your father and mother so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.”
Never understood that one. Wouldn’t you rather enjoy a short life and get to heaven sooner?
My late wife, Myrna (be sure to say it with a soft “i”), had a maxim: “The Commandment says: ‘Honor Thy Father and Mother,” not “If you like what they did.”
Never understood that one. Wouldn’t you rather enjoy a short life and get to heaven sooner?
I had a Catholic law professor -- she was amazing -- who told us one time it's been argued that we ought to weep when a child is born (because our world is sinful) and rejoice at a funeral (because that person is with God).
Most of us, of course, appreciate this world (the known), while we can be fearful of death (the unknown).
Even Jesus famously asked God not to sacrifice him. He wanted to stay on Earth for a longer time. But the answer he got to his prayer was that he must be sacrificed. And Jesus accepted it.
Jesus f'ing Christ, liberal urban non-religious Jewesses and their frenetic sexual obsessions. All things considered, Sarah Stoltzfus of Lancaster County, PA has every advantage in Creation over Mizz Jong-Fast except the NYT would never seek her opinion on anything.
My advice to Molly Jong-Fast (are we sure that's not a Cantonese weight-loss diet?) is to get out of New York immediately. Move to Israel and live on a kibbutz. Raise cucumbers. Can your own homemade pickles. Learn to fire an M-16A1 in short, controlled bursts.
If you're a member of the royal family or if your parents are rich and famous. you just can't bitch about your childhood. I think a fair proportion of the human race have crappy childhoods. Poverty doesn't diminish the pains but wealth and privilege make a lot of sorrows bearable..
Philosophical question: The children of many famous people try and sometimes try desperately to escape their parent's shadow. Molly Jong Fast has a movie version of her book coming out. In some way, it can be said that she has surpassed her mother, whose book never made it to the screen. Here's my question: If all you do is write about your mother's shadow, can you really be said to have escaped your mother's shadow........Maybe her mother will have some moments of lucidity at which time she can tell her about how well her movie is doing.........Maybe there can be follow up books detailing more of her mother's failures. The way Sherlock Holmes became the OG detective, Molly Jong can achieve enduring fame as the OG bad mother. She can supplant Joan Crawford. During moments of lucidity, her daughter can inform her of these developments.
She should have done something about those Dumbo ears.
"Erica Jong has dementia and is not able to read and understand what is published about her. We know this from things her own daughter has written."
OR: Erica Jong pretends to have dementia so that she doesn't have to painfully acknowledge the words and deeds of the child she raised.
What some people will do to try to get a little peace and quiet.
I am Laslo.
I don't think this is quite right: "little discussed nexus between feminism, communism, and Judaism." It's not fair to blame the religion Judaism for the modern psychological mess of pottage that is secular crazy women calling themselves Jews while observing none of the theology and traditions.
Whatever.
As I have said before here, and elsewhere: Men, DO NOT get a penile reduction. After the break-up, the next women may be more appreciative of God given magnitude.
"It's not fair to blame the religion Judaism for the modern psychological mess of pottage that is secular crazy women calling themselves Jews while observing none of the theology and traditions."
There's nothing "modern" about this mess if one's willing to reach back far enough to see how just how ancient it is, and Judaism is both an ethnicity and a religion, one that is generally accepted by almost all Jews to be inherited, exclusively from the mother. And like most genetic inheritances, choosing what or what not to do doesn't make one less Jewish, or less black, or less avian.
A rare case of a duck that doesn't walk or quack like a duck still being a duck. Sometimes the duck will remain as ambiguous as it possibly can about whether it's a duck at all until it can find out how much being a duck or not being a duck will work to its own benefit, or to the detriment of other birds.
Sometimes it's good to be a duck. Other times bad. Sometimes a girl duck just has to wait-and-see what the weather'll be, a very feminine trait you see.
Quaestor: "My advice to Molly Jong-Fast (are we sure that's not a Cantonese weight-loss diet?) is to get out of New York immediately. Move to Israel and live on a kibbutz. Raise cucumbers. Can your own homemade pickles. Learn to fire an M-16A1 in short, controlled bursts."
If she did all that, she'd find a whole new category of men interested in her. I for one would be searching El Al ticket prices. CC, JSM
“Erica Jong has dementia and is not able to read and understand what is published about her.”
Man… and they thought she was a crazy fuck back then…
Sorry… I condemn myself…😬
If the urban dictionary is right, kids would say that Molly's Momma was a bop.
Phyllis Chesler went through such a complicated political/philosophical odyssey over the course of her 85 years that there's no point in recounting all of it.
I was born in 1975. I’m three years older than Molly but she looks a decade older than me.
She’s going to flunk the Wilfred Brimley/Cocoon line test even with the surgery.
Erica Jong’s Wikipedia entry contains this paragraph:
Jong denies that the novel is autobiographical but admits that it has autobiographical elements.[5] However, an article in The New Yorker recounts that Jong's sister, Suzanna Daou (née Mann), identified herself at a 2008 conference as the reluctant model for Isadora Wing's sister Randy and called the book "an exposé of my life when I was living in Lebanon." Daou angrily denounced the book, linked its characters to people in her own life, and took her sister to task for taking cruel liberties with them, especially Daou's husband. In the book, Isadora Wing's sister Randy is married to Pierre, who makes a pass at both Wing and her two other sisters. Jong dismissed her sister's claim by saying instead that "every intelligent family has an insane member.
Peak irony, Mom is now confined to a nursing home with Alzheimer’s disease. Just another example of the fact that when you point a finger at someone else, you also have three fingers pointing back at yourself.
Hong Jong-Fooey
Desperate times call for desperate measures.
“ Even Jesus famously asked God not to sacrifice him. He wanted to stay on Earth for a longer time. But the answer he got to his prayer was that he must be sacrificed. And Jesus accepted it.”
Wow. So even Jesus didn’t want to go to heaven. Makes me feel better about going to the other place.
And I know I’ll see you there. You used italics on Ann’s blog.
I'm going to steal that *sorry, I condemn myself* phrase. Here's a nice one back: sign your contentious letters, *In disappointment.* A hard to dispute, yet mild rebuke.
I always thought that loony, rock-painting, professional slag magazine sex writer who accused Trump of raping her in a dressing room lifted the whole scene from a Jong book, but I can't stand to go back and read them again. When I was a feminist and Blue Dog Democrat, something I still appreciate for the socio-political experience, it is true that Jewish women were statistically very over-represented on and very much dominated the board, for which I was an underpaid, non-insured, Executive Director peon, like the rest of them. Being a New York cradle Catholic by parents who left the church early, I never really understood the different Protestant Christians at that time. Some of the wealthy Jewish women were motherly, respectful, and very kind. One was intellectually challenging in the most honest of ways, and I liked her for it, but she alienated others. Raised mainly around Jews and Catholics in the North, I enjoyed the interactions, but many others did not, and two non-Catholic Christians complained of the dominance and willingness to use accusations by the Jewish members. I think I smoothed things out. But the South sure isn't the North. It took me years to figure it all out. Suffice to say, there were massive culture and class divides, and my job was to smooth them over. But I think there weren't prejudices. There were mere cultural differences.
Tina, don't forget the honorable history of Jewish Confederates. Such as Judah Benjamin, the AG of the CSA. CC, JSM
John, I've been to many very small towns in the South where there still is one grocery store owned for generations by a Jewish family. People pretty much got along, black, white, Jewish and Christian. In Atlanta, I ran a coalition of 40 womens' groups, and against such staggering odds, I made the coalition stronger, but I saw a lot of ugly stuff along the way. It definitely helped that I was an outsider. And I left as soon as I had doubts of the mission, and spent years recalibrating my morals.
That's really just what politics does to people. Yes, there were Jewish (and black) slaveholders or slave traders in the South, and Jews in the Confederate Army. All this was hashed out relentlessly in grad school, the single worst choice I made in my life.
The one thing that pissed me off was when I met an always upper-class Jewish fellow grad student who felt the need to tell me, always without prompting, that she/he wasn't white and shared black oppression. These were people with cool lofts who never worked an honest day in their lives and spent months in Europe making fake art. They were actual supremacists. But such behavior is mostly confined to academia these days.
The rest of us get along reasonably well, if you allow for sticking with your economic cohort.
I think the real American dream is just being normal middle-class.
No plastic surgery for Chris Matthews ... and dang, it shows ..
Matthews retired in order to avoid to "me too" disgrace common among leftists
"Chris Matthews abruptly retired from MSNBC's Hardball to step down amid a wave of controversies, including accusations of making inappropriate and sexist workplace comments toward women"
Post a Comment
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.