"No, this isn’t some elaborate rookie hazing prank... it’s the result of Friday’s theme night at High-A Wisconsin, one in which the team normally known as the Timber Rattlers becomes the Brats as part of Bratoberfest, a play on Germany’s iconic Oktoberfest, while also paying homage to the state that’s home to one of the highest concentrations of residents with German ancestry. It just so happened that Abner Uribe, the Brewers’ flame-throwing reliever who is working his way back from a flexor strain, was in town on his rehab assignment...."
Humiliating? Or is it wonderful... bratoberfestive!
I could watch the Green Bay Packers exhibition game, women’s college volleyball, the team with the best record in baseball the Milwaukee Brewers, the Winn-Dixie 250, high school football, WWE SmackDown, or…Abner Uribe in lederhosen. You tell me… pic.twitter.com/lZWfgdxMLi
ADDED: I have a bit of a tags quandary for this post. I don't like tag proliferation, but this isn't the first appearance of lederhosen on this blog. It's the fourth. See them all here. But all the other times, I was able to use my well-loved tag "men in shorts." But this baseball take on lederhosen avoids the baseball travesty of shorts — White Sox, 1976 — and sticks with traditional knickers. As I've said before, I like the knickers and wish all the players would wear them and not those pajama-looking long pants, but I'm still not making a tag for knickers. But if I did, I'd have 12 "knickers" posts now.
Let me highlight the best of those old "knickers" posts. I remembered that the Young Rascal wore knickers. I found this 1926 song with the lyric: "Knickers and trousers, baggy and wide/Nobody knows who's walking inside!" I said that David Brooks: "expatiated about the good old days when men like George Washington displayed their thighs in tight silk knickers."
And, in 2008, before I got together with Meade and started watching baseball again, there were TVs outside State Street Brats just as The Backstreet Boys were singing the national anthem to open the World Series and I blogged: "The players look like hell! When did they stop wearing stockings and knickers? Those long pants look like pajamas." And there was Meade, the first commenter: "I must be smoking too much blog. I hallucinated." Because the video looked like this:
Key word linking the end of this post to the beginning: brats.
As someone of mostly German heritage, I think it's awesome. And since the next largest share of my heritage is Scottish, who am I to poke fun at funny clothes?
I have to say, some of the most creative fashion designers work for the professional sports teams, from soccer to football to baseball and all the rest. The uniforms are unique, creative, and invite nostalgia and unity. It’s a very impressive group of creative minds! There should be a Hall of Fame for them.
The Timber Rattlers have other get-ups that are even more bizarre than that. Sometimes they are the Udder Tuggers to honor the local dairy industry; and sometimes as the Frozen Pizzas, to honor Wisconsin's status as one of the largest sources of frozen pizza in the world (think Jack's and Tombstone, among others). Before minor league baseball became a merchandise delivery system, back in the 1970s they were known simply as the Appleton Foxes and wore hand-me-down White Sox uniforms. I have fond childhood memories of going to see guys like Goose Gossage and Harold Baines playing for the Foxes.
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Encourage Althouse by making a donation:
Make a 1-time donation or set up a monthly donation of any amount you choose:
১৭টি মন্তব্য:
Best record in MLB!
As someone of mostly German heritage, I think it's awesome. And since the next largest share of my heritage is Scottish, who am I to poke fun at funny clothes?
…The ‘Brats’ logo is a bit off putting but if there’s some ladies in dirndls about I’m all for it…every game…
They aren’t wearing lederhosen, they are wearing baseball uniforms colored to resemble lederhosen. What a ripoff.
These lederhosen chafe...
Men in shorts pick up hot tall volleyball ladies.
I have to say, some of the most creative fashion designers work for the professional sports teams, from soccer to football to baseball and all the rest. The uniforms are unique, creative, and invite nostalgia and unity. It’s a very impressive group of creative minds! There should be a Hall of Fame for them.
Pronunciation guide: Uribe (yoo REE bay), Abner (AB nur).
Surprised to not see at least one reference to his namesake, Major General Doubleday.
Playoff pronunciation guide: Dodgers (DOJ urs)
LOL, PLAA nit gee oh
The Timber Rattlers have other get-ups that are even more bizarre than that. Sometimes they are the Udder Tuggers to honor the local dairy industry; and sometimes as the Frozen Pizzas, to honor Wisconsin's status as one of the largest sources of frozen pizza in the world (think Jack's and Tombstone, among others). Before minor league baseball became a merchandise delivery system, back in the 1970s they were known simply as the Appleton Foxes and wore hand-me-down White Sox uniforms. I have fond childhood memories of going to see guys like Goose Gossage and Harold Baines playing for the Foxes.
PLAA nit gee oh NO!
Brewers Uber Alles,
Yeah you know who also wore lederhosen, at the Wolf’s Lair….CC, JSM
Of course the DSA might forgive that, since the team also shows you can put on or take off your bratwurst whenever you like….CC, JSM
Hey, you got your bratwurst in my lederhosen! Two great tastes that taste great together….CC, JSM
একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.