Listened to the Last Night of the BBC Proms on Radio 3. Now watching bootlegs of it on YouTube. Hardin would love Yuja Wang's performance (btw, the British announcers pronounce her name like "Huge-ah Wong"). Gwai-los not suffering from Hardin's fever would appreciate Sheridan Smith doing a Dolly Parton z''l tribute, although Sheridan doesn't quite fill Dolly's, um, shoes. (Yes, Brits love Dolly Parton, and country music in general. Where do you think rednecks came from!?)
Tenor Nicky Spence did a Scottish folksong medley which included a surprise operatic adaptation of The Proclaimers' I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles). Spence of course had to emphasize his massive (in all senses) gayness, to include lifting his sporran to reveal... a sequined rainbow flag. But it was all in good fun.
Then of course there were the Proms warhorses at the end: Rule Britannia, Land of Hope and Glory (twice!), Blake's Jerusalem, GSTK, and Auld Lang Syne (the Brits don't limit its use to NYE).
For whatever reason, the camera work this year didn't give much time to the audience's outfits. Mostly aerial shots of the crowd. Their flags were a nice balance of Union Flags, St George Crosses, other UK nations, guest nations, and of course many EU flags. I do miss the closeups on audience members who worked so hard on their homemade patriotic outfits and were clearly thrilled to be in the Albert Hall - they were consonant with the Proms' egalitarian ideals.
Ooh, I just answered my own question! I have always wondered what the US equivalent of Last Night of the Proms is, or if we even have one. I suddenly realized it's a Trump rally. One has guys in Union Flag waistcoats - the other has guys in wall suits. One has a big gay opera star - the other has the Village People. Etc.
Next year is the centenary of the Proms. After that, I am sure it will be turned into a muezzin chanting competition. Fun while it lasted.
Thanks for posting that, John. Always love the proms. Here's my favorite Youtube video of Thomas Hampton singing Rule Britannia at the Proms - from 1998
Peachy, is that whole playlist yours? It also has The KIllers, and then there's James live wsg Johnny Fucking Marr!
One of the commenters said "Can we have Johnny Marr popping up unexpectedly in just about everything please? It would make life so much more bearable."
I wholeheartedly agree. In my list of top ten concerts I've attended is The Killers wsg JFM at the Anthem in DC. For encores, they got together and did Killers songs with Marr playing, and Smiths songs with Brandon Flowers singing the Morrissey parts.
I'm sitting around thinking about a late supper. Comes a text from a sister cruising in the Adriatic. A huge wildfire is burning up an island called Brac off the coast of Croatia. They're evacuating people by boat and there are nine children on her boat. Try to look it up and there's few pictures, no coverage. A different world.
Mr. Mosby - Play list? I don't think I have one. Must be a random thing you only see. ??? Johnny Marr is great. Big fan! A million years ago someone gave me a mix cassette tape of the Smiths and I loved it. The lead singer of Killers goes well with those old Smiths songs.
I don't keep up too much with them HBO soap operas that some of you girls like to follow but I watched a little of Euphoria tonight and as I understood it I was going to get that Sweeney girl and dragons.
Sydney showed up strong but there weren't no damn dragons.
I'm confused. Watched the end of the Ohio State - Texas game and they stopped playing after 60 minutes. Everybody knows football games last 60 minutes and 1 second.
The givesendgo organizer admits he doesn't even know where to find the juror to give him the money. He does promise to give it all back if he can't find the guy. Seems a bit dodgy. CC, JSM
…to add to the list if ghosts, my fiber ont has apparently gone tu and the service provider has no idea when they can have a tech out to investigate. Is it just my area or are reliable people ine trades unicorns everywhere?
It’s election season again. Back in, I think, 2020, maybe 2016. This is the sort of slimy thing that Crooked Hillary would have done. We would have the same group of new posters come by, at the same times of day, every day, working shifts. Lying through their teeth. Never saw them again, after Election Day. Presumably the money ran out. I thought that Inga was one of them, but she stayed. About the only one.
So now another 80-20 issue has reared it’s ugly head - with the Commies on short side again. What’s that you ask? It’s 80% of Americans siding with the only black guy on the Clancy jury.
It seemed to me that Ohio State stopped playing football midway through the 3rd quarter. And I don’t know how many times I saw the clock get adjusted up and down in the final minute.
I too enjoy sunrises but rarely take photos of them. My very first "attempt at a date" with Huang Qin was to invite her to join me at the Jupiter Inlet to watch the sunrise. It is a picture-perfect spot to watch the sun come up: the waves usually lap at the granite boulders that frame the inlet, the occasional sound of a fishing reel being cast into the powdery blue and delicate grey of the Loxahatchee River as it empties into the cool Atlantic, and what seems to be hushed sounds of conversation, made in respect to the early hour, just barely audible over the almost-mute breeze. She barely knew any English but words between us were unnecessary -- they would have been superfluous to the moment. We both knew the beauty of nature as it announced another day and, as it turned out, the beginning of a courtship. I do have photos of that morning -- but they don't capture what we experienced.
This morning Michael Portillo did a little recap/analysis of the Proms. He said "Huge-ah Wong'"s name several times in a five-minute block. Kept a straight face, but we all know he was being a naughty public-school boy.
He also did a block with vicar Pat Adderton (who has done a documentary about Britain's great cathedrals) about St Paul's Cathedral's deal with the nightclub Fabric to do a series of musical events in the sacred space. They commiserated over how "drug use and snogging" go on at such places. And more seriously, Portillo asked rhetorically if Mayor Sadiq Khan would be as enthusiastic about this deal had it been struck with a mosque instead of a cathedral. CC, JSM
Yeah that final season of Euphoria turned into a female-centric Breaking Bad, complete with supervillains and weird desert deaths. Very very different from what started out as a "these kids today" soap. CC, JSM
Trump says American diesel prices are controlled by Russian refineries. Everything he says should be followed up by “can you explain how that makes sense?”
Here is a graph showing why Trump is wrong. https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/GASDESW
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Encourage Althouse by making a donation:
Make a 1-time donation or set up a monthly donation of any amount you choose:
36 comments:
It is nice to live near water if you like to photograph sunrises. I enjoy all of these because I never get to see sunrise or sunset over water.
Lovely. The 2nd photo. chef's kiss.
Here.. I will share the song stuck in my head.
Now I bid you all good evening as I am off to tootle on my nerd bike.
Tough call maybe no 3
So i finally got around to see metropolis which it at its base a cautionary tale about luddism the robot maria driving the mob to frenzy
Listened to the Last Night of the BBC Proms on Radio 3. Now watching bootlegs of it on YouTube. Hardin would love Yuja Wang's performance (btw, the British announcers pronounce her name like "Huge-ah Wong"). Gwai-los not suffering from Hardin's fever would appreciate Sheridan Smith doing a Dolly Parton z''l tribute, although Sheridan doesn't quite fill Dolly's, um, shoes. (Yes, Brits love Dolly Parton, and country music in general. Where do you think rednecks came from!?)
Tenor Nicky Spence did a Scottish folksong medley which included a surprise operatic adaptation of The Proclaimers' I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles). Spence of course had to emphasize his massive (in all senses) gayness, to include lifting his sporran to reveal... a sequined rainbow flag. But it was all in good fun.
Then of course there were the Proms warhorses at the end: Rule Britannia, Land of Hope and Glory (twice!), Blake's Jerusalem, GSTK, and Auld Lang Syne (the Brits don't limit its use to NYE).
For whatever reason, the camera work this year didn't give much time to the audience's outfits. Mostly aerial shots of the crowd. Their flags were a nice balance of Union Flags, St George Crosses, other UK nations, guest nations, and of course many EU flags. I do miss the closeups on audience members who worked so hard on their homemade patriotic outfits and were clearly thrilled to be in the Albert Hall - they were consonant with the Proms' egalitarian ideals.
Ooh, I just answered my own question! I have always wondered what the US equivalent of Last Night of the Proms is, or if we even have one. I suddenly realized it's a Trump rally. One has guys in Union Flag waistcoats - the other has guys in wall suits. One has a big gay opera star - the other has the Village People. Etc.
Next year is the centenary of the Proms. After that, I am sure it will be turned into a muezzin chanting competition. Fun while it lasted.
Watch before Auntie Beeb makes them take it down:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpXJj2Ra8KM
Lee Rigby Chai, JSM
Thanks for posting that, John. Always love the proms. Here's my favorite Youtube video of Thomas Hampton singing Rule Britannia at the Proms - from 1998
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoHgSLp19YE
Peachy, is that whole playlist yours? It also has The KIllers, and then there's James live wsg Johnny Fucking Marr!
One of the commenters said "Can we have Johnny Marr popping up unexpectedly in just about everything please? It would make life so much more bearable."
I wholeheartedly agree. In my list of top ten concerts I've attended is The Killers wsg JFM at the Anthem in DC. For encores, they got together and did Killers songs with Marr playing, and Smiths songs with Brandon Flowers singing the Morrissey parts.
Thanks so much! CC, JSM
Och, Ocean, there is hope for you yet! CC, JSM
An even better Rule Brittania was done in 2011 by Susan Bullock, dressed as...Brittania:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuCJFXSGTEQ
CC, JSM
Awesome shots.
Just returned from a few days on the Oregon coast. Menzanita and the surrounding towns. Truly god's country. You should take your camera out there!
*Manzanita.
I'm sitting around thinking about a late supper. Comes a text from a sister cruising in the Adriatic. A huge wildfire is burning up an island called Brac off the coast of Croatia. They're evacuating people by boat and there are nine children on her boat. Try to look it up and there's few pictures, no coverage. A different world.
Mr. Mosby - Play list? I don't think I have one. Must be a random thing you only see. ???
Johnny Marr is great. Big fan! A million years ago someone gave me a mix cassette tape of the Smiths and I loved it.
The lead singer of Killers goes well with those old Smiths songs.
I don't keep up too much with them HBO soap operas that some of you girls like to follow but I watched a little of Euphoria tonight and as I understood it I was going to get that Sweeney girl and dragons.
Sydney showed up strong but there weren't no damn dragons.
Lying bastards.
I'm confused. Watched the end of the Ohio State - Texas game and they stopped playing after 60 minutes. Everybody knows football games last 60 minutes and 1 second.
Top best.
Let's amend the Constitution, and then Arch Manning for President in 2028.
https://www.givesendgo.com/support-for-the-based-lone-juror
Pony up a few bucks
The givesendgo organizer admits he doesn't even know where to find the juror to give him the money. He does promise to give it all back if he can't find the guy. Seems a bit dodgy. CC, JSM
…to add to the list if ghosts, my fiber ont has apparently gone tu and the service provider has no idea when they can have a tech out to investigate. Is it just my area or are reliable people ine trades unicorns everywhere?
It’s election season again. Back in, I think, 2020, maybe 2016. This is the sort of slimy thing that Crooked Hillary would have done. We would have the same group of new posters come by, at the same times of day, every day, working shifts. Lying through their teeth. Never saw them again, after Election Day. Presumably the money ran out. I thought that Inga was one of them, but she stayed. About the only one.
They are not even clever about it
So now another 80-20 issue has reared it’s ugly head - with the Commies on short side again. What’s that you ask? It’s 80% of Americans siding with the only black guy on the Clancy jury.
It seemed to me that Ohio State stopped playing football midway through the 3rd quarter. And I don’t know how many times I saw the clock get adjusted up and down in the final minute.
The rise of the Magatard.
I too enjoy sunrises but rarely take photos of them. My very first "attempt at a date" with Huang Qin was to invite her to join me at the Jupiter Inlet to watch the sunrise. It is a picture-perfect spot to watch the sun come up: the waves usually lap at the granite boulders that frame the inlet, the occasional sound of a fishing reel being cast into the powdery blue and delicate grey of the Loxahatchee River as it empties into the cool Atlantic, and what seems to be hushed sounds of conversation, made in respect to the early hour, just barely audible over the almost-mute breeze. She barely knew any English but words between us were unnecessary -- they would have been superfluous to the moment. We both knew the beauty of nature as it announced another day and, as it turned out, the beginning of a courtship. I do have photos of that morning -- but they don't capture what we experienced.
I wonder how many people turned the Ohio State - Texas game off with Ohio State ahead 23-3 early in the fourth quarter?
Speaking of clangers, that Arch Manning kid has a couple in his jeans/genes.
Clyde--I was one of those people. Watched Seinfeld reruns instead (The "jerkstore" episode no less).
Who names their kid Arch? I suppose it’s better than Lurch.
Archibald. Named after his famous grandfather.
This morning Michael Portillo did a little recap/analysis of the Proms. He said "Huge-ah Wong'"s name several times in a five-minute block. Kept a straight face, but we all know he was being a naughty public-school boy.
He also did a block with vicar Pat Adderton (who has done a documentary about Britain's great cathedrals) about St Paul's Cathedral's deal with the nightclub Fabric to do a series of musical events in the sacred space. They commiserated over how "drug use and snogging" go on at such places. And more seriously, Portillo asked rhetorically if Mayor Sadiq Khan would be as enthusiastic about this deal had it been struck with a mosque instead of a cathedral. CC, JSM
Drug Use and Snogging would make a great masthead motto. Not that either goes on here. Just would keep the rifraff out. CC, JSM
Yeah that final season of Euphoria turned into a female-centric Breaking Bad, complete with supervillains and weird desert deaths. Very very different from what started out as a "these kids today" soap. CC, JSM
Gorgeous pictures. Art.
Trump says American diesel prices are controlled by Russian refineries. Everything he says should be followed up by “can you explain how that makes sense?”
Here is a graph showing why Trump is wrong.
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/GASDESW
𝘡𝘦𝘭𝘦𝘯𝘴𝘬𝘺𝘺 𝘩𝘢𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘥𝘰 𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 -- 𝘩𝘦 𝘩𝘢𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘱 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘤𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘥𝘪𝘦𝘴𝘦𝘭 𝘧𝘶𝘦𝘭 𝘪𝘯 𝘙𝘶𝘴𝘴𝘪𝘢. 𝘏𝘦'𝘴 𝘤𝘢𝘶𝘴𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘢 𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘳𝘵𝘢𝘨𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘥𝘪𝘦𝘴𝘦𝘭 𝘧𝘶𝘦𝘭. 𝘛𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘪𝘴𝘯'𝘵 𝘥𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘣𝘺 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘔𝘪𝘥𝘥𝘭𝘦 𝘌𝘢𝘴𝘵, 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘪𝘴 𝘥𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘣𝘺 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵'𝘴 𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘦𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘙𝘶𝘴𝘴𝘪𝘢 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘜𝘬𝘳𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘦." ~ Donald Trump
Post a Comment
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.