I'm reading the London Time: "Is a bra a top now? Looks like it! They’re in Paris and on the red carpet, but would you flaunt yours at the post office?"
I'm going to use my last WaPo gift link of the month to give you the 1991 article that is the London Times's source for photo of Madonna wearing a bra as a top: "The Roots of Madonna: Getting down to Earth with the pop star."
Journalists... make jokes that she’s just “a CEO in black underwear” or “the quintessential PR woman.” There is a sense that she doesn’t sing well, that the songs she co-writes are only decent dance music, that her dancing is merely competent, that her beauty comes from a bottle. That her only genius is selling herself.
“In the business world and in the world of politics, it’s considered an asset,” Madonna says of her manipulative image. “But in the entertainment industry, it’s easier for people to deal with me by undermining my talents by saying that I’m not a good actress, not a good singer, not a good musician — or anything like that. But what I am is a good manipulator. They take everything else away from me, but give me that.”...
She wants attention, yes, just not the constant kind. “It’s always fat people too,” she says. “They are the most unattractive social outcasts, like really overweight girls or guys with lots of acne that follow me around and pester me. It’s frightening because not only are they bothering me, but they’re horrible to look at too.”
Is she afraid of becoming a has-been?
That was asked 35 years ago!
“Has-been is a phrase that other people use,” she says. “So far, even if I stop now, I will have accomplished so many things. What’s a has-been? That was my time. That’s what I did. . . People buy into that has-been stuff because it’s the public’s need to humiliate performers after they’ve kept them on a pedestal for long enough.”

14 ટિપ્પણીઓ:
“women’s nipples are still considered more risque than men’s“
This struck me because I’ve been wondering if Elliot Page’s history as a woman makes him/her much more self-conscious or uncomfortable being half naked on the cover of a magazine. Perhaps being an actor trains self-consciousness out of you, though.
Remember that Seinfeld episode where the woman wore a bra on the outside of her top? Those shows are still funny in re-runs.
Didn't we already go through this? I like that you have a tag for 'nipples', Ann. Not many people can say that.
You'd be surprised how often they pop up.
anyone who lives in a city like Dallas has seen 1000 women walking or running - for exercise in Sports Bra and shorts. the distance between bra and panties is as wide as the gap in a door of a modern car.
Madonna has bought into her own hype and has done for decades. I don't think she wears that well now.
Naked is crass. Nude is rude. Organic is certifiable.
"In 2026 wearing a bra as a top isn’t the subversive act of fashion rebellion or feminist declaration of sexual liberation that it was for Madonna in 1990 but a sign of compliance to the beauty standard, and the extreme thinness that’s putting women’s lives at risk."
"Sometimes I really do wonder what life is like for people who are constantly scanning the world in search of something to gripe about."
Those loose fitting halter tops from the '70s were way more revealing than a sports bra could ever hope to be.
Wearing a bra around is not sexy. Wearing nothing but a man’s dress shirt, like Tuesday Weld, is sexy.
"...outside of her top?", R C Belaire? I've seen that Seinfeld episode 23 times and I can confirm that Sue Ellen Mischke did not have anything under that bra when she wore it. Thus the car crash and the lawsuit by Jackie Chiles.
Top as synonym for torso !!!
Our hostess is likely to have the funniest comment on her own thread for the day. Well done!
I recall when Brandi Chastain took off her shirt after winning a soccer game and people were all aghast. We gym rats were like "What of it, we see that every day."
ટિપ્પણી પોસ્ટ કરો
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.