ALSO: Even though I pay for YouTubeTV, I had to watch many commercials, including the thumping, ominous trailer for the movie "Primetime," which is about rescuing children from sexual predators. I had to watch that awful mess before the interview, in the middle of the interview, and at the end of the interview. Who wanted that ad placement and why did CBS allow it? And what does Ross Douthat, traditional moralist, think of it?Patrick Clancy talks about the final days with his 8-month-old son, Callan.
— 60 Minutes (@60Minutes) September 20, 2026
“I really thought there was a chance that Callan would live,” he tells 60 Minutes. “And remember just thinking, ‘Just gimme one. Just gimme one kid,’ and I would raise him as best I could, and I would… pic.twitter.com/5HMfnujj1d
September 21, 2026
Did you watch Ross Douthat interview Patrick Clancy on "60 Minutes"?
I did. It was terrible. What is the point of bringing on Ross Douthat to invite the father to speak of cuddling a baby as it died and seeing a dead toddler in his dreams and receiving assistance from his new wife in bearing the burden of grief? I thought Douthat was an intellectual, devoted to analyzing morality.

33 comments:
“I thought Douthat was an intellectual, devoted to analyzing morality”
…that’s on you.
NYT cult. A cult.
What is the point? Soap opera. Ratings from half the population, 90% of the TV viewing population.
That's the difference between print (analytical and thought-oriented) and television (oriented to images and emotions).
But to be fair, would any Times columnist have done better? David French? Bret Stephens? Mo Dowd? Tom Friedman? Going back a way -- Anthony Lewis? Russell Baker might have been interesting.
And if you're interviewing a grieving father, it's not for intellectual and analytical reasons. Making him go back *there* emotionally is a burden enough for him, and it's what the audience wants.
At this point anything that has to do with Clancy is just click bait. Now the farce has moved out of the courtroom to the social sphere: the father, the lone juror, the Karen jurors, the defense lawyer and on and on. Get on with the retrial and put the Murdering Mom behind bars. Enough!
"What is the point? Soap opera...."
The question is what is the point of bringing on Ross Douthat for that kind of work. Nothing that distinguishes him fits with that kind of soft, melodramatic material.
ALSO.. The usual villains in trash action fiction are either white supremacist groups or child sexual predators. It's go-to for ratings. No longer drunk drivers or dangerous dogs. MeToo is still a possibility but tends to be ridiculous when portrayed.
This was the second episode of this season of the grand old show that Bari Weiss is supposed to have revamped. I watched to see what she has accomplished. Bringing on Douthat was a big deal, and this was his first appearance.
Watched first 2 minutes. Turned it off.
The part where he explained his intention to tell the new children he's planning to have with his new wife about their dead "brothers and sister" was macabre imo. Very offputting to me.
I actively avoid material that plays on emotions about children in danger. It's been 30 years since I watched "The Client" because I was on a plane and it was back in the days when there was a largish screen that everyone had in their line of sight.
"The part where he explained his intention to tell the new children he's planning to have with his new wife about their dead "brothers and sister" was macabre imo."
Yes, and there was talk of "celebrating" a dead child's birthday. That'll be nice for the new kids.
Think the best of people instead of the worst is the moral keystone. Use it to check moral experts.
…there are those of us who never saw the Bari person as anything more than attempt at a reset of credibility after mainstream media and 60 minutes specifically set their own credibility on fire like a bag of stinky poo left on a doorstep. Its not like Bari wasn’t part of the firewagon before taking over…
…the Douthat person is merely another player on the depth chart, perhaps the most available to sacrifice some hit points…
Why did you watch it Ann? You are not one to waste your time on things you don’t like.
…there are enough thought experiments, examples that demonstrate it takes longer for some to recognize the necessity for a pivot, a change in perspective. Maybe it is empathetic ‘I can change them’ that prevents some to change, maybe the hole left in their routines too drastic, I don’t know…
It's done to confuse you. The same reason they invert issues on other subjects. You hear about the main points, except they're mis-attributed and the players are moved around. So it sounds familiar, but you're conditioned to never get to the bottom of it. No resolution.
He married her and had three children with her, what's his story...
"Let's not downplay the fact that that is the ghost of Morley Safer!"
I have had enough of the Clancey show. Watched the Brewers win, for the most wins in franchise history.
I remain perplexed at the hyper-interest in this case. Maybe I read too much crime news, but there's a mother-kills-kid(s) story almost every week.
Or maybe it's because it's indisputable that any mother who does this is at lest a little disturbed. I watch the grandstanding from a distance.
At this point I don't understand how anyone could be disappointed in something produced at CBS.
“Did you watch…..I did”. I didn’t and I won’t.
If only you applied similarly critical thought to the newspaper that you favor even after it has repeatedly lied to you and abused your trust.
"He married her and had three children with her, what's his story..."
Whatever his story is, the pertinent details to your query were not contained in that interview, possibly on purpose.
I wonder how many of Ross Doughnuts 60 minutes audience know who he is, or have ever read his work? Or want to watch "intellectual" segments by him.
Maybe giving Doughnut this sort of interview was a way on introducing him to the people who have never read him.
Perhaps Clancy only agreed to a sit down with certain hosts. Perhaps Douthat fit that bill.
If I were Patrick Clancy I would just go away.
However, I've not been the subject of thousands of TikTok videos blaming me for killing my children.
Planned parenthood.
I thought it was a good interview. I hadn't seen Patrick Clancy speak before, didn't watch a moment of that atrocious trial. I am glad he gets to start over. Sheesh, people.
Q : will wife Clancy have access to RUBBER BANDS
How much does Ezra Klein and Ross Douthat pay their interview guests?
Post a Comment
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.