[H]otel carpets are often flecked with food debris, dead skin cells and dust that engender mites, bacteria, mold, allergens and other microorganisms.... Guests’ in-room habits, such as eating takeout, brushing their hair or scratching an itch, contribute to the carpet litter. Shoes also drag in an array of vile material, including fecal matter picked up from places where dogs and humans do their business, such as sidewalks, parks and public bathrooms. Guests will disperse the excrement and other organic bits on their journey from lobby to hallway to room....
A comment from over there: "Another WP fearmongering article afraid of imaginary hazards. Yes, the carpets are germy, but so is everything else. Has anyone ever been harmed?"
That reminds me, I was just about to blog this other WaPo piece, "Why we should stop eating lettuce, cyclospora or not/Lettuce makes us sick, wastes resources and has minimal nutritional value. Why are we still consuming it?"
Excerpt: "If you’re thinking that all vegetables are mostly water, you’re right! And some other salad vegetables aren’t that much different from lettuce. Cucumbers, celery and radishes are right up there. (And if you’re eating them for hydration, that stuff out of the tap is way less resource-intensive.) But look at broccoli, for example. It’s 90 percent water, which doesn’t sound all that different from 95 percent, but it means there’s twice as much vegetable in that vegetable."
Top comment on that one: "This has got to be one of the most pointless and poorly thought out articles I have ever read on a legitimate news site."

48 komento:
'..."This has got to be one of the most pointless and poorly thought out articles I have ever read on a legitimate news site."...'
Well, there's your problem. Definition of 'legitimate'.
WaaaaaPoo.
More Whaaaa that poo, today.
Agreed. More scare mongering. Don't lick the carpet.
oops- didn't mean to make it porny.
WaPo just playing to its mentally ill readership. There are only so many TDS stories that can be run in one day.
Peachy+2 said...
oops
LOL
Why are we still eating lettuce?
Because it adds a nice crispiness and tastes good. Or at the very least, it makes an excellent salad dressing delivery tool.
Ah yes, the WaPo in August. Every year, the interns take over as everyone else goes to the beach. It's just like hearing the cicadas start up: a reminder that Autumn will soon be here.
Supposedly the lettuce farmers in California take an inordinate amount of water from the Colorado River for their crops. That is water that serves much of CA, AZ and NEV.
I am neither a lettuce fan or a lettuce hater, but the crop does not seem worth the resources.
Of course carpets in homes aren’t like that.
>"never walk barefoot on a hotel carpet."
Headline at WaPo.<
Wait...there might be someone who needed to be told that?
Why are we consuming lettuce?
Why are we consuming drivel from WaPo?
you KNOW what the dirtiest and MOST DISGUSTING place to walk is?
The Beach! if you looked at the sand under a microscope, you'd vomit
(probably onto the sand, which would make it Ever More DISGUSTING)
NEVER walk barefoot on sand.. EVER!
the Only thing, that a person could EVER do, that would be EVEN WORSE than walking barefoot on the sand, would be laying on the sand (or, GOD Forbid, going into the water!)
I walk barefoot in hotels because that carpet gets vacuumed more often than my carpet at home does. Also, my feet are pretty good and not having places for bacteria to enter. I also wash them near daily.
"Supposedly the lettuce farmers in California take an inordinate amount of water from the Colorado River for their crops. That is water that serves much of CA, AZ and NEV.
I am neither a lettuce fan or a lettuce hater, but the crop does not seem worth the resources."
One way to tell if a crop is "worth the resources" is by seeing if people are willing to pay for it.
How about an article that says everybody should stop reading the f****** Washington Post because it's all clickbait and corporate propaganda? Asking for a friend.
The news is an organizer of anxiety, and then tells how to live with the anxieties. What the news claims to know that it does not know, is what is important.
"fecal matter picked up from places where dogs and humans do their business"
Has just this become matter-of-factly normalized to the Left? Unhoused persons just dropping trou and taking a dump on the sidewalk? I guess it has already been. WTF.
Cartoon, couple having sex on kitchen table, kid "Hey we EAT on that table."
Why we should never do things at the extreme and should do things in moderation. Or, why I’m a moderate centrist and neither side likes me.
And don’t lick the bedspread, Fred!
I wonder if the Soviets put up with public sidewalk dumping.
I recall seeing they used to put a lot of old women to work with brooms, sweeping the streets and sidewalks. I doubt that they would tolerate that nonsense.
beach yeah.. and when you swim in the ocean - you are "literally" (I hate that word) swimming in fish pee, and whale pee...and fish poo too.
You can't even drink high mountain stream water without risk of getting giardia.
The best way for hotels to clean the carpets day to day is a good quality vacuum that is maintained often, w/ fresh bags and the filters changed regularly.
It does occur to me that if a population of Progressive citizens doesn't object to homeless drug addicts pooping in the street, and having to choose where to put their feet as they walk in public, then they are in no position to be scare-mongering the carpets in hotels.
I eat a lot of salad. I like lettuces. Crunchy and light and tasty with dressings... and other salad fixin's like fresh fruit and toasted sliced almonds. I often add mint and thinly sliced fennel.
I love summertime farmers market arugula and romaine lettuce. At the store, I buy a local resource - it's not organic but they grow it with less water and no pesticides using modern indoor chamber techniques.
Leftist WaPoo advising people to stop eating lettuce - I bet the cultists will obey.
I will report back my findings.
“Let me live 'neath your spell
Do do that poo poo that you do so well”
—— Cole Portapotty
In CO - all the leftists are buying heat pumps for their houses.
They are also dutifully getting rid of any appliance that runs on Natural gas. Such obedient toadies.
I myself will move away soon.
>Known Unknown said...
I walk barefoot in hotels because that carpet gets vacuumed more often than my carpet at home does.<
I'll bet that you lie on the hotel bedspread, too.
We need to teach children (and adults) that the microbiome is ubiquitous and far more helpful than hurtful.
Today I happened to see two young women playing outdoor tennis while wearing cloth facemasks. These were intelligent, accomplished people successful enough to be playing at an exclusive private club. But gullible fools too.
If I'm traveling, it's usually in summer and we're usually doing a lot of walking.
The shoes are coming off in the hotel room.
Peachy +2: I agree that one should eschew “literally” & urge your friends not to use it either. “Actually” works just as well on one side, & “virtually”, or “figuratively” on the other.
Having spent my life in hotel rooms (yes, I used to be a hooker) I've long been aware of the germ-fest going on all around me. But to build up my resistance I started a routine of licking the tv remote control first thing upon arriving in the room.
After that, the carpet cannot hurt me.
Gender fluids, and solids, too.
">Known Unknown said...
I walk barefoot in hotels because that carpet gets vacuumed more often than my carpet at home does.<
I'll bet that you lie on the hotel bedspread, too."
Is it going one better to cop to sitting directly on the toilet seat without a carefully placed protective barrier of tissue?
1. "Why you should...," WP.
2. "Why we should...," WP.
3. "Kiss my ass...," Rabel.
>Jamie said...
Is it going one better to cop to sitting directly on the toilet seat without a carefully placed protective barrier of tissue?<
Yes, definitely is.
Do you drink from those glass tumblers with the little white cap on the tray of the hotel's bathroom counter? If you do, you never will again after you read this next sentence: I saw a video on some show of a hotel maid wiping the lip marks off those with the same rag that she had just used on the toilet seat/rim, putting the cap back on them and returning them to the tray. Too much trouble to go out to the hall cart for clean ones...
Trump must have said somewhere that he loves eating, lettuce and walking on hotel rugs barefoot.
If you really want to discuss "Wasting resources" and "Its bad for you" why have we legalized MJ? But instead we talk about Lettuce.
I read this blog for comments like this
Valentine Smith said...
Trump must have said somewhere that he loves eating, lettuce and walking on hotel rugs barefoot.
Is this prelude to Washington Post advocating foot washing station everywhere
"Why you should never walk barefoot on a hotel carpet."
Headline at WaPo
I was surprised. I assumed the answer was going to be, "Because it's racist."
My microbiology professor was fond of discussing the "fecal veneer" that covers all surfaces at all times.
Do any hotels have carpet in rooms? I haven't seen that in ages, but most of the hotels I stay in are in the Nordic area.
I remember that in England guests houses would have carpet in the bathroom. Can't think of anythink more disgusting.
The Japanes understand hygiene. At the ryokans I've stayed at, you replace your shoes with slippers when entering and take those off and put on new slippers when entering your bathroom.
There was a trend a couple of years ago over putting chopped up lettuce in guacamole to add some crunch to it.
BTW, almost everyone underhydrates. So more water is actually a good thing.
Lucien - I agree. Those words work nicely.
"Like literally" grates. oh how it grates.
"Why we should stop reading the Washington Post: It makes us sick, wastes resources and has minimal nutritional value. Why are we still consuming it?"
"Shoes also drag in an array of vile material".
Like broccoli?
Mag-post ng isang Komento
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.