14 ఆగస్టు, 2026

Sunrise.

IMG_0346

48 కామెంట్‌లు:

Ann Althouse చెప్పారు...

Open thread. Write about what you want.

rehajm చెప్పారు...

…those are the Summer mornings I miss- overcast, a hint of stormy. Nice…

Lem Vibe Bandit చెప్పారు...

Video: Following a state cellphone ban, Kansas schools require students to lock away phones all day—including lunch and passing periods—using new $150k locker systems.

Clyde చెప్పారు...

I made this meme this afternoon. Too soon?

https://imgflip.com/i/ayvc6k

William50 చెప్పారు...

Bloodwyn Pig...

Drive Me

William50 చెప్పారు...

Monty Python's Flying Circus - Election Night Special

Leland చెప్పారు...

Clyde, are you suggesting he didn’t kill himself? 🙈

Achilles చెప్పారు...

He doesn't fit the profile of someone that would kill themselves. He was a conman. That isn't what conmen do when they get caught. They move to the next con.

He was guaranteed a cushy job at an NGO.

He was not going quietly. That is why he "killed himself."

Achilles చెప్పారు...

Claudine Gay went quietly.

She gets paid 3 mil a year and still has a job.

bagoh20 చెప్పారు...

We just had a huge thunderstorm here with a drenching downpour and a lot of pea-sized hail. An hour later, you can't tell it happened. El Niño and his little friend Monsoon.
The baby Jesus is my favorite Jesus.

Achilles చెప్పారు...

The prosecutor Biden got fired in Ukraine discusses the billions of dollars of USAID was laundered through Ukraine.

This is why inflation was so high under Biden and is at normal levels under Trump.

bagoh20 చెప్పారు...

I don't see what additional danger he posed. All the fraud is in writing, on record. They can't pretend it didn't happen. I guess he could say he told people he was cheating and they covered for him, but they would just say they were trying to do a brother a solid, like they say Cambridge.

imTay చెప్పారు...

Just sayin' there is a very nice sliver of a moonset happening. right after sunset,

imTay చెప్పారు...

I don't know about there, but autumn is in the air here, as they say.

Political Junkie చెప్పారు...

The debt and deficit will be the surprise #1 issue in 2028 presidential election.
Tax rates will go up.
Rs need to be smart and get behind some tax increases and say it is much better than what Ds will propose/pass.

Josephbleau చెప్పారు...

Or we could cut spending for all NGOs but that would reduce property values in the dc suburbs.

Big Mike చెప్పారు...

Luigi the Dreamboat has pleaded guilty in Federal court. Here’s what he said to the judge in open court:

“I shot Mr. Thompson in Manhattan,” Luigi Mangione told the judge as he pleaded guilty in federal court, adding: “I understood that my actions would place him in fear of death or bodily injury. I knew what I was doing was illegal.”

I have read speculation that this move prevent’s the State of New York from proceeding with its similar case. Others, including the New ayork Times, say “not so fast.”

Mark చెప్పారు...

Lem, that's quite a racket. $150k for that?
Someone's donation paid off big.

Big Mike చెప్పారు...

“Or we could cut spending for all NGOs but that would reduce property values in the dc suburbs.”

@Josephbleau, having lived most of my life in the Washington Metro area, I assure you that would be a very good thing. ,

Big Mike చెప్పారు...

“Or we could cut spending for all NGOs but that would reduce property values in the dc suburbs.”

@Josephbleau, having lived most of my adult life in the Washington Metro area, I assure you that would be a very good thing.

Achilles చెప్పారు...

Property and house values in general are due for a massive correction. It doesn't cost that much to build a house.

Especially in the blue areas that have been propped up by NGO and learing center money laundering.

Whiskeybum చెప్పారు...

Venezuela, Columbia, Japan, Indonesia, Spain… what’s with all these strong earthquakes lately?

Eva Marie చెప్పారు...

Jayson Arday was found dead.

Eva Marie చెప్పారు...

Mr Arday was found “unresponsive” at an address in Battersea, London, on Friday afternoon and later pronounced dead at the scene.

hanuman_prodigious_leaper చెప్పారు...

https://www.ecoportal.net/en/california-counted-just-119-western-monarchs/32116/

In CA butterfly are also counted

Big Mike చెప్పారు...

@Eva Marie, Arday’s demise is the next post down.

Eva Marie చెప్పారు...

lok, thx

Lucien చెప్పారు...

It’s been a while since I read the NYT, but I picked one up at a hotel today and the partisan bias in what should be the straight news part is striking. First, there’s “Splitting the MMR vaccine into three shots is a bad idea, doctors say” (all doctors, or just two) by alleged reporter Apoorva Mandavilli, including such objective reporting as “the president made a frightening and unsubstantiated claim about the combination shot”. The in “After ruling, administration lets a key gun law lapse”, by so-called journalist Chris Cameron you can read through 13 paragraphs of a 16 paragraphs of the story before finding out (reading between the lines) that a court held that a statute was only constitutional under Congress’s power to tax, and once the tax was reduced to zero, the statutory requirement evaporated.
This is what passes for news in our “paper of record”.

Saint Croix చెప్పారు...

Oof, I am really sorry that I bought a copy of Iain M. Banks' first book, Consider Phlebas. Not fun. The opposite of fun. It's 500 pages. Oh my God. Elon Musk owes me $10. You were inspired by this? Yikes.

Josephbleau చెప్పారు...

“ I have read speculation that this move prevent’s the State of New York from proceeding with its similar case. Others, including the New ayork Times, say “not so fast.””

I wonder if he is sentenced in federal court that would allow the next Dem president to pardon him. Or commute.

Josephbleau చెప్పారు...

“ Saint Croix said...
Oof, I am really sorry that I bought a copy of Iain M. Banks' first book, Consider Phlebas. Not fun. The opposite of fun. It's 500 pages. Oh my God. Elon Musk owes me $10. You were inspired by this? Yikes”

That series of books by Banks is hilarious, the ships are autonomous and very powerful and they get to pick their own names, like:
Just Read the Instructions, Of Course I Still Love You, So Much for Subtlety, All Through With This Niceness and Negotiation Stuff, Funny, It Worked Last Time…, and Attitude Adjuster.

Give it a chance. Even though Banks was a Scottish communist, but it’s easy to be a communist if you have 20 million in writing money. He died early of cancer though. And Scottish communism has to be funny too, “too each according to his needs, but damned if I’ll give you sixpence you lazy beggar!”

Gospace చెప్పారు...

What is the difference between people who say this: "𝘛𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘪𝘴 𝘯𝘰 𝘥𝘪𝘧𝘧𝘦𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘏𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘵𝘢𝘨𝘦 𝘍𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘥𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘸𝘢𝘯𝘵𝘴 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘸𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘯 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘜𝘚. 𝘌𝘹𝘤𝘦𝘱𝘵 𝘮𝘢𝘺𝘣𝘦 𝘪𝘯𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘢𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘣𝘶𝘳𝘲𝘢𝘴..."
"... 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘺 𝘸𝘢𝘯𝘵 𝘶𝘴 𝘪𝘯 𝘮𝘪𝘭𝘬 𝘮𝘢𝘪𝘥 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘴𝘦𝘴, 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘷𝘺 𝘩𝘪𝘥𝘦𝘰𝘶𝘴 𝘮𝘢𝘬𝘦𝘶𝘱, 𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘤 𝘴𝘶𝘳𝘨𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘢𝘬𝘦𝘥. 𝘈𝘯𝘥 𝘪𝘵'𝘴 𝘢𝘤𝘵𝘶𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘴𝘦 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘪𝘳 𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘯𝘴 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘴𝘰𝘤𝘪𝘦𝘵𝘺 𝘢𝘴 𝘢 𝘸𝘩𝘰𝘭𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘪𝘭𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘢𝘤𝘺, 𝘱𝘰𝘪𝘴𝘰𝘯𝘦𝘥 𝘧𝘰𝘰𝘥, 𝘵𝘰𝘹𝘪𝘤 '𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘵𝘩' 𝘤𝘢𝘳𝘦, 𝘦𝘵𝘤. 𝘚𝘦𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘰𝘧 𝘳𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘨𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘵𝘦 𝘮𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘦𝘯 𝘵𝘰 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯 𝘢𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘮𝘱𝘵 𝘢 𝘧𝘳𝘦𝘦 𝘴𝘰𝘤𝘪𝘦𝘵𝘺. 𝘛𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘪𝘴 𝘸𝘩𝘺 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘤𝘦𝘱𝘵 𝘦𝘹𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘴." and the people who supported and promoted and gave jobs and grants and praise et cetera and so on and so forth to Jason Arday?

Obvious answer: Not a damn thing. Drawing a Venn Diagram of the people who did either would probably show a near 100% overlap.

tim maguire చెప్పారు...

The best thing Trump could do for property values in the DC area is keep doing what he’s doing—reducing the federal workforce. Enough downsizing and VA could be purple, or even red again. Life around the capital could become affordable for regular people again.

Saint Croix చెప్పారు...

ha ha ha

Scottish communism

you're cracking me up, man

any humor in the first book?

you're only scaring me more with "that series of books"

10 books, multiplied by 500 pages, is 5,000 pages. That's longer than some relationships I've been in. That's like four Bibles.

I love The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Dystopia is way funnier than utopia. Adams blows up the earth in the first chapter! That's funny.

I appreciate the encouragement. Might give it another shot. At some point in the future. I'm going to call it "frozen eggs" and keep my options open.

Saint Croix చెప్పారు...

That's a great title for a novel.

Frozen Eggs

Now I just need a plot. And characters.

Saint Croix చెప్పారు...

The Jason Arday case reminded me of the scam that Stephen Glass did at the New Republic. That was so notorious, they made a movie about it.

What happens when your life crashes like that, and you are a public disgrace?

Suicide is not the answer. You can find redemption. It happens all the time.

The Second Life of Stephen Glass.

RCOCEAN II చెప్పారు...

Arday tried to get the London police to arrest a journalist who found that Arday was a plagarist. The journalist was Times reporter Jack Grove. Per Free Speech Union:

"Jack Grove of Times Higher Education put a number of legitimate questions to Professor Arday in an email while investigating potential plagiarism in his PhD thesis. In response, Arday reported Grove to the Metropolitan Police, accusing him of harassment.

Rather than ignore this blatant attempt to silence the free press, the Metropolitan Police spent four months investigating Times Higher Education reporter Jack Grove after he was accused of harassment for emailing Professor Arday a series of legitimate questions about his academic record.

Speaking to The Telegraph, Mr Grove said: "I was told a complaint had been made against me and investigated, but the force was not taking it forward. The officer told me that I shouldn't contact Professor Arday again because his mental health had been affected by my actions."

n.n చెప్పారు...

Frozen 🥚s. A layabout. Featuring AOC. While tilting at windmills, the 🌞 sets, the refrigeration unit fails, the yolk is on her. What is a girl to do? It's a drama where the lead actress performs standup comedy while lying down. The innuendo is diverse and merciless.

john mosby చెప్పారు...

Bleau: "I wonder if he is sentenced in federal court that would allow the next Dem president to pardon him. Or commute."

Yes, this is similar to the Brer Rabbit technique I speculated on the other day. A Dem comes in, Mangione is a few years older, has been living like a model prisoner, etc, so the Dem commutes the sentence to lifetime supervised release, at the cult commune he'll no doubt establish. New York State then says "aw shucks, we would love to prosecute him, but there's our unique double-jeopardy rule. We could technically do him for some minor overlapping offenses, like the gun possession, but he'd be out by now on those anyway. Sorryyy...." CC, JSM

Achilles చెప్పారు...

RCOCEAN II said...

Arday tried to get the London police to arrest a journalist who found that Arday was a plagarist. The journalist was Times reporter Jack Grove. Per Free Speech Union:

"Jack Grove of Times Higher Education put a number of legitimate questions to Professor Arday in an email while investigating potential plagiarism in his PhD thesis. In response, Arday reported Grove to the Metropolitan Police, accusing him of harassment.

Rather than ignore this blatant attempt to silence the free press, the Metropolitan Police spent four months investigating Times Higher Education reporter Jack Grove after he was accused of harassment for emailing Professor Arday a series of legitimate questions about his academic record.

Speaking to The Telegraph, Mr Grove said: "I was told a complaint had been made against me and investigated, but the force was not taking it forward. The officer told me that I shouldn't contact Professor Arday again because his mental health had been affected by my actions."


I will say it again.

Arday did not kill himself.

Rustygrommet చెప్పారు...

So, anyway. It's a cafe', right? I ordered some reloading supplies and as usual I broke down the cost per box of 25 shells. I usually order 2000 primers and 1000 wads at the same time. Powder has gone up about 10$ per 8 pound keg.
"Eight pounds you say!". What do you need with so much gunpowder?"
Eight pounds is about 18 months worth. I shoot between 75 and 150 rounds per week. It goes fast.
With the cheapest target loads going for about 10$ a box I can run a box at 4.35.

With the tax on silencers,( mufflers ), eliminated I think I'll run up some prototypes in the garage.

Indefinitely Extended Excursion™️ చెప్పారు...

𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘥𝘦𝘣𝘵 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘥𝘦𝘧𝘪𝘤𝘪𝘵 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘣𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘶𝘳𝘱𝘳𝘪𝘴𝘦 #1 𝘪𝘴𝘴𝘶𝘦 𝘪𝘯 2028 𝘱𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘪𝘥𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘢𝘭 𝘦𝘭𝘦𝘤𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯."

Trump shrugs off concerns about dismal conditions on USS Abraham Lincoln ~Axios

"Reports of poor conditions aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln coincide with depleting stocks of both weapons and voter support"

Trump, given his military service, is highly qualified to speak about why a naval vessels should be kept out even longer. And Hegseth undoubtedly command a lot of respect for his apposite and perspicacious assessments. Both being heroes to all uniformed personnel, I'm sure.

The worst part of a two week war is the first four years.

This bodes ill for the American military juggernaut. With interest rates rising and military budgets facing the potential for a debt spiral, they have no way to fight new wars.

The problem is the Pentagon's vast, "un-auditable" budget is designed for one overarching goal: the enrichment of the defense industry which has become incredibly inefficient and monopolistic because of institutional capture, revolving doors, incompetence, and just plain old corruption.

The amount of money sloshing around the Pentagon is so obscene that budget over runs of billions of dollars - which would be scandalous in other areas of government spending such as welfare -- can easily get completely missed because it is all so opaque and messy.

So... in writing my comment I've changed my mind because in a roundabout way the Pentagon's negligence and corruption is actually saving lives, imagine how many more people would be getting killed if Washington had the military cost effectiveness of a country like Ukraine for example.

john mosby చెప్పారు...

So only Dinky has responded to my attempt to start a discussion about the USS LINCOLN. Thanks, Dinky! I will wade in (pun intended) as an infantry veteran with some points that I hope people will react to:

1. You go to war with the Navy you have. Morning Toe, Bill Maher, etc, are piling on with criticism about maintenance issues and other logistical problems. Okay, well, Trump's had the Navy for a year and a half. Can't turn an aircraft carrier around that quickly (pun intended). So many of the criticisms being thrown at Trump and Hegseth are criticisms Commander Salamander was throwing at the Autopen Navy for four years.

2. Tour too long? Even Morning Toe had to admit that LINCOLN has been out for nine months. On a tour that was meant to last only....seven months. Hardly the SS MINNOW. These things happen. My best man was a Marine officer. He embarked on a bog-standard MEU cruise in early 1990. Then Saddam invaded Kuwait. The cruise turned into a rather long desert campout. I didnt get to the Gulf till January 1991, but still had no idea how long I would be there: would it be a long-term standoff? A yard-by-yard slog for terrain? A Korea-like armistice? During the GWOT, the standard Army tour in Iraq and Afghanistan was 12 months. And a lot of these guys spent nearly all of those months out in the field, with maybe some kind of plywood hooch on a firebase for shelter. Even the REMFs in the big FOBs were merely living in relative luxury: probably the rough equivalent of carrier life, although spread over a larger footprint.

3. Are there real morale and psych problems? Probably. I would bet nearly all the sailors on LINCOLN signed on during Autopen. A year and a half is barely enough to get through all your initial training, receiving assignment orders, travelling to that assignment, getting in-processed, etc, all punctuated by hurry-up-and-wait. So these people thought they were joining the Biden Navy. They were probably not expecting this lifestyle. And a certain amount of people who volunteer for the professional military, no matter which Admin, find out early in their service obligation that this is not really their profession. And they don't even have the psychological shoring (pun intended) of a draft or existential wartime situation: the whole situation is of their own making. I had to deal with troops like this as an Army officer. Heck, to a certain extent, I was a troop like this - I did get out before retirement, after all.

...continued....

john mosby చెప్పారు...

....continuing....

4. Are the newsies and politicians making hay with LINCOLN traitorous? I dunno. Senator Truman ran a committee that proctologized military contracting during WWII - was that revealing our weaknesses to the Krauts and Japanese, or fixing those weaknesses? I do wish Hegseth or Vance would do a version of President Jack Ryan's presser remark in Executive Orders, where he shuts down a traitorous newsie.

5. Or maybe Hegseth and Trump should just get on this horse and ride it. Just say "yes, we are pushing our sailors to the limits of human performance. We have to do that because of the crappy Navy Autopen left us. But guess what: our sailors can meet and exceed those limits. And a crappy US Navy is still the best navy in the world - far superior to the Iranian navy, which right now owns the Gulf floor. If you really feel bad for those sailors, and you're not just using them as poster children for your own purposes, why don't you back the reforms and re-funding this administration is trying to implement? And if you're another country who is afraid to commit to this effort to rid the Middle East of an evil regime, at least have the common decency not to laugh at us while we do it for you."

6. Finally, as a landlubber, I still don't understand the weird naval shift schedules. The system seems designed to create chronic sleep deprivation. In the infantry, we set security levels to allow guys to get uninterrupted sleep whenever the situation allowed: 50% security, 25%, maybe even lower in wide-open terrain where one guy with modern observation devices can cover a huge area. We could even do it on the move for long road movements: a Bradley can operate with just a driver and commander awake, for instance. But we were not fighting Neptune 24/7, so I guess the Navy has different needs.

Hope someone will respond. CC, JSM

Indefinitely Extended Excursion™️ చెప్పారు...

They should tell Trump that they need to bring it home to fit it with a steam powered catapult.

Gospace చెప్పారు...

Watchstanding aboard ships- a subject almost no one is familiar with. That and duty sections. Two similar but entirely different thigs.

Let's do duty sections first. Navy policy- a ship inport must have enough people on board at all times to get underway. That's typically going to be somewhere between ⅓ and ¼ of the crew. So when a sailor is at home (ha-ha!) one out of 3 (or 4) days when he reports to the ship in the morning, he goes home the next afternoon. This includes weekends. Had to explain this concept carefully to my USAF brother when he came to visit and toured the boomer I was on. After touring the boat, and listening to what a duty day was, he asked, in all seriousness: "Why would you want to be an E6 in the Navy when you could join the Air Force and be an E4?" That's how much better his living conditions were.

Then there's underway watchstanding. On a skimmer, typically 4 hours on watch, 8 off, with a dog watch in the evening that covers evening meal. Dog watch- 2 hours long. You try to have at least 3 people qualified on each watchstation underway- port and starboard duty is brutal. Been there, done that. 4 is a luxury. 5, or even 6? For some of the more responsible watchstations it's possible. On subs, it's 6 hour watches, with meals every 6 hours- breakfast, lunch, dinner, midrats. although according to some milblogs the Navy has been experimenting with different schedules after discovering (Whoa nelly! Discovering what everyone already knew!) that the constant time shifts were fatiguing.

And then, during your offwatch, when resting and eating, etc.? Ah- drills, training, more drills, field days weekly, et cetera.

That's why the weird Navy shift schedules.

john mosby చెప్పారు...

So gospace, what do you think of the LINCOLN stuff? CC, JSM

Gospace చెప్పారు...

What do I think about the USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72) stuff?

Not much. Has it been a long deployment? Yes.

Is the food quality poor? Some malcontents may be complaining, but that's not going to happen on a CVN. Is it up to Michelin standards? Nope.

Do they not have fresh fruits and vegetables? Possibly not every day, but they do UNREPS regularly from specialized supply ships. So they have them on a semi-regular basis. On a sub- you run out by Day 3 of underway, and are out until return to port. On a 72 say spec-op that's 69 days without fresh stuff.

2 main mess decks and several smaller 24 hour galleys for the crew. From what I understand they can go through a hamburger/fast food line, or the regular chow line. They have a choice. The story about undercooked chicken I read? Either BS- or a one time event and a CS (culinary specialist) received either a royal ass chewing or an NJP. I'm inclined towards total BS. CS's work hard and take pride in their work.

Bitching, moaning, and complaining is a sailor's lot in life. They're usually bright enough to keep it in house.

I had one major food Bitch Moan Complain during my career, at a training station ashore. Ordered 2 eggs scrambled, at breakfast, and the cook started to dig out a scoop of scrambled eggs from powder. Said the supply officer said it was cheaper, that's what we were getting. Finished the substandard breakfast, got to the schoolhouse, went to my advisor's office and asked for a special request chit, and filled it out requesting special Captain's Mast. 7 other former fleet sailors did the same. Years can go by without a command seeing a single such request. 8 in a day? Mast was that afternoon after class hours. The chain of command didn't even inquire about what happened. The CO wanted to hear it straight. All 8- we're on shore duty, not at sea. We get fresh eggs on shore duty, not powdered crap. And NONE of us had talked to each other, didn't even know each other. And we went in separately to boot.

Next morning- no premade from powder scrambled eggs in the mess hall. SUPPO probably had his royal ass chewing. Chain of Command takes food seriously. It's the one thing that can destroy morale quickly. And a good set of cooks can aid in keeping morale up.

కామెంట్‌ను పోస్ట్ చేయండి

Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.