26 ઑગસ્ટ, 2026

"Meta on Wednesday reached a landmark settlement with 47 states, the District of Columbia and U.S. territories, agreeing to pay up to $17.1 billion in penalties..."

"... and make major changes to its products over claims it endangered children with addictive social media platforms. In a dramatic capitulation, the owner of Facebook and Instagram agreed to the financial penalties for violating federal child privacy and states’ consumer protection laws, the states announced. Meta also agreed to limit how long teenagers can spend on its platforms and to bans on features that stoke mental health issues, striking at the heart of the company’s business of engagement for advertising.... Meta still faces numerous other lawsuits from school districts and individuals.... 'Meta wouldn’t settle unless it sees the writing on the wall and feels really exposed,' said Nora Freeman Engstrom, a law professor at Stanford University."

I'm reading "Meta to Pay Up to $17.1 Billion in Landmark Settlement Over Social Media Addiction Claims/The social media giant settled with 47 states, the District of Columbia and U.S. territories, and agreed to make major changes to its products over claims its platforms endangered children" (NYT gift link).

33 ટિપ્પણીઓ:

gilbar કહ્યું...

"..'Meta wouldn’t settle unless it sees the writing on the wall and feels really exposed,' said Nora.."

yep! they Clearly Feel.. REALLY EXPOSED!
"Meta Stock Rises on Child-Safety Suit Settlement"
https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/nvidia-earnings-stock-market-today-08-26-2026/card/meta-settles-child-safety-suit-8uB0VqrPY6cN1cR8zZvG?mod=lctimeline_finance

baghdadbob કહ્યું...

Company guilty of making their product as popular for kids as possible. Next up: Sugary Cereals, Video Games, Cartoons & Drag Queen Story Hours..

Peachy+2 કહ્યું...

eh. Not enough .Force Zuckerberg to sell off his mansions and yachts. I detest that ballot box buying/ Soviet(D) censorship abiding /child luring f-head.

rehajm કહ્યું...

…say what you will about Meta but this sure looks like a shakedown? Where were these government assholes to prevent whatever harm was happening?

rehajm કહ્યું...

How much of this money will flow directly to the harmed instead of the money being siphoned off for government crap?

Left Bank of the Charles કહ્યું...

The stock is up.

rhhardin કહ્યું...

It's the deep pocket justice effect.

Left Bank of the Charles કહ્યું...

47 states, all but Texas, Florida, and New Mexico. The predictable two plus New Mexico, which had a separate lawsuit it settled earlier this month.

Aggie કહ્યું...

'....social media giant settled with 47 states, the District of Columbia and U.S. territories....'

I wonder about the 3 states that didn't settle. California, Colorado, Kentucky - what's the issue?

Big Mike કહ્યું...

Just a day or two before Zuckerberg himself was scheduled to take the stand. What an amazing coincidence.

rcommal કહ્યું...

Yeah, I don't think this is going to resolve the issues.

Aggie કહ્યું...

@Left Bank is as reliable as ever, I see.

Breezy કહ્યું...

What about us endangered adults?

The Middle Coast કહ્યું...

Concur with rehajm. Just guessing here, but not a single penny will go to those actually harmed. Justice, right?

Josephbleau કહ્યું...

Our modern royalty extracts the profits of “justice”.

Bushman of the Kohlrabi કહ્યું...

New learning centers coming soon to a blue state near you!

Jimmy કહ્યું...

As usual, it's all theatre. None of the injured will see. a dime. The money goes to the states, LOL. So money for drag shows, illegals, and the new car for a connected state legislator.
Jesse Jackson did the same grift, but he was honest about extorting money from companies.
The wealthy tech asshats who won't allow their kids to use screens are untouched. A huge slush fund is now available to the connected, and everyone involved can feel self righteous about pretending to do something.
The American 'justice' system at its best.

Aggie કહ્યું...

Also apparently resolves the old Cambridge Analytica scandal from some years ago

Original Mike કહ્યું...

I am convinced that social media is turning all of us into functional narcissists and, in many cases, functional psychopaths.

I'm not on X, which means I can't view half of what people link to. I've been thinking I should sign up, but I probably would be better off if I continue to resist.

BarrySanders20 કહ્યું...

Don't tell Althouse that Tik Tok is 3x worse for the chidrens.

Peachy+2 કહ્યું...

O Mike.
I singed up. I am happy to report I use it minimally. It's a great resource. I will admit I don't understand fully how to use it to the fullest. Probably a good thing.

Mr. D કહ્યું...

Somebody's gotta pay for the missing USAID and NGO grifts, so Zuck and his pals are on the hook. No one to support in Jackals vs. Jacobins.

Indefinitely Extended Excursion™️ કહ્યું...

Entirely self inflicted. One of the most insidiously harmful companies on earth, up there with the tobacco industry. Everyone who works for them knows what they’re doing.

Imagine your job is to tweak algorithms to trick children’s brains into releasing more dopamine, keeping them on their screens for longer. Which is why they quickly need to develop their AI models, which of course will super-tweak those algorithms without even the faintest whiff of moral conscious.

Original Mike કહ્યું...

The problem I have encountered, which started a couple of months ago, is when I click on an X link, I get a "View this on the App" roadblock. I'm willing to open an X-account, but I am unwilling to download the App. What I wonder is, if I open an account, without the App, if it will accept that and let me view the material?

MadTownGuy કહ્યું...

Original Mike said...

"The problem I have encountered, which started a couple of months ago, is when I click on an X link, I get a "View this on the App" roadblock. I'm willing to open an X-account, but I am unwilling to download the App. What I wonder is, if I open an account, without the App, if it will accept that and let me view the material?"

You should be able to open the link in your web browser. It works that way for me on my Android phone and in Chrome on my desktop. But I'm already in X, having been there since it was Twitter. I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Aggie કહ્યું...

@Original Mike, you can open a X account without downloading the app. I have an account but have not yet made a single post. You do have to be careful not to get hooked though, it's a huge time eater that preys on the reptile part of your brain.

chuck કહ્યું...

up there with the tobacco industry
And public education.

Original Mike કહ્યું...

Thanks, Aggie. When you click on a link to X, does it open in your account? What I encounter is, the link opens but the audio won't play, and then a pop-up appears that says "View this in the App". I'm hoping if I open an account, that will stop happening.

Lazarus કહ્યું...

I heard a new radio ad just this morning. The litigators who have been going after Roblox are branching out to take on the rest of social media.

Old and slow કહ્યું...

If you aren't using X, you are missing out on a lot of interesting information. If you are using X, you are probably subjecting yourself to lots of annoying rubbish... I try to minimize the crap I subject myself to.

Aggie કહ્યું...

@OM, yes, it opens to your account. No problems with sound or video, using Firefox.

Fred Drinkwater કહ્યું...

I have an X account that I only use via browser. There's no app, and I never use it on my phone anyway. But for the occasional user, it's a confusing mess. I almost never "browse" X, and very rarely comment, and never post.

Original Mike કહ્યું...

Thanks, guys.
It might be a Safari problem (I do my browsing almost exclusively on an iPad).
I think I'll open an X account and see what happens. If it still doesn't work, I'll take it as a sign I should be doing more productive things with my time.

ટિપ્પણી પોસ્ટ કરો

Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.