1 ઑગસ્ટ, 2026

"I'm glad that I didn't get arrested, and I'm glad that we get to feed Annie this banana."

I'm watching that because I was reading this NYT article, "'Errands' Should Be the Most Boring Show on the Internet/Fighting a traffic ticket. Hanging a curtain. Installing an air-conditioner. With his cult-hit online series, Noah Blau has made the mundane fascinating" (gift link).
As a student at New York University Tisch School of the Arts, Blau grew engrossed in the work of cinéma vérité auteurs like Frederick Wiseman and Ross McElwee while also immersing himself in the New York canon of John Cassavetes and Martin Scorsese.

“Scorsese’s ‘After Hours’ is like the ultimate errand,” he said. “That would be my dream episode — for someone to get so sidetracked on their errand that they get chased through SoHo by an angry mob, like in the film.”

That pushes all the right buttons for me. Also made me think of one of my favorite TV shows, "How to with John Wilson."

But I do have to home in on "Cops are usually kind of nice to me." How casually people enjoy their privileges. I need to check on how the heavy rains affected the people in the Corey Ruiz Autonomous Zone. 

ADDED: My son John has "17 thoughts on After Hours."

19 ટિપ્પણીઓ:

mccullough કહ્યું...

After Hours is an enjoyable flick.

Marcus Bressler કહ્યું...

"enjoy their privileges"? WTF?

Ann Althouse કહ્યું...

""enjoy their privileges"? WTF?"

She says "Cops are usually kind of nice to me," untroubled or even proud of that "to me." It's not that cops are actually nice (if you comply reasonably), it's that there's something about me that gets niceness from them. Here in Madison we just had a man killed by a cop. He had a knife. Now, it might turn out that he did not receive niceness because he displayed a readiness to use that knife against the cop, but a lot of people around here think he did not receive niceness because he was black. Knowing all that, I would refrain from saying "Cops are usually kind of nice to me."

paminwi કહ્યું...

The cops did the right thing. The city is caving to the crazies as they did during George Floyd. Plus we’re back to the “art boards” so you can show visually how angry you are. City provides the boards and paint. They did the same thing with Floyd only then there was a condition that only black people would get the free stuff. Don’t know if that’s the case today.
Lastly, who cares color the guy is? If you brandish a knife a police officers there are consequences. And as always if white cops do something bad we find out right away the “injured/dead” was black. Any other situation and the media won’t mention race. Such hypocrisy.

The Cracker Emcee Refulgent કહ્યું...

Bollocks. Cops are usually nice to me, too. Because I’m smart, temperate, polite, and willing to take responsibility for my actions. And I understand that the cop has the gun because he’s constantly dealing with dirtbags who are none of the above.

Leland કહ્યું...

The cops around me are nice, to me too. Partly because I approve the contract that pays them, but i befriended a few before then. However, I understand Althouse comment on two levels. They are particularly nice to me for the reasons mentioned, but most are nice to anyone that simply is thoughtful to others in public. That is, they aren’t just nice to me.

However, I’ve watched them switch off that niceness in an instance. I’ve seen them go from happy and laughing to ready to match violence in a split second. The veterans flip that switch faster than the newer ones, but it is a survival trait. Also, the veterans are better at being nicer, because they don’t want to flip the switch. It is too much a hassle.

grimson કહ્યું...

While I like people making visual records of the everyday, chronicling the activities of this slice of New York has little appeal for me.

From the article, "They're average Joes..."

You know, like "a poet named Bernard," "Brittany, an unemployed writer," "an actor named Jeremy," "a D.J. named Declan," "the 21-year-old internet provocateur and comedian, Ivy Wolkand," and "Aitana Doyle, an aspiring actress." All friends of Blau, where in pursuing their errands, "the failure rate is actually really high."

No wonder they're "creatives."

Smilin' Jack કહ્યું...

“…but a lot of people around here think he did not receive niceness because he was black. Knowing all that, I would refrain from saying "Cops are usually kind of nice to me."”

A lot of people around here think all kinds of stupid shit. Knowing that, I don’t give a fuck.

And this girl just has pretty privilege, and knows it. Nothing to do with color.

Original Mike કહ્યું...

"I need to check on how the heavy rains affected the people in the Corey Ruiz Autonomous Zone."

I hope they're miserable. Only fair, considering what they're doing to the Marquette neighborhood residents.

Mary Beth કહ્યું...

The link does not work.
"https://althouse.blogspot.com/%E2%80%98Errands%E2%80%99%20Should%20Be%20the%20Most%20Boring%20Show%20on%20the%20Internet%20Fighting%20a%20traffic%20ticket.%20Hanging%20a%20curtain.%20Installing%20an%20air-conditioner.%20With%20his%20cult-hit%20online%20series,%20Noah%20Blau%20has%20made%20the%20mundane%20fascinating."

Cops are usually nice to me. I would understand if they became un-nice if I tried to stab them. I watched one cop body cam video on YouTube and for awhile that's all it wanted to show me. Those officers have a lot more patience for all sorts of behavior that I would not. I'm not even talking about the violent stuff, just the "no one ever taught this person how to interact in society" kind of stuff.

Original Mike કહ્યું...

"I need to check on how the heavy rains affected the people in the Corey Ruiz Autonomous Zone."

I got 3". And the neighborhood power-grid transformer blew up.

n.n કહ્યું...

"son John" sounds oriental.

Michael Fitzgerald કહ્યું...

One of the Tsarnaev brothers, the Boston Marathon terrorists, murdered a couple of guys with the sword they had hanging on a wall. That chick is putting her life in danger having that weapon at hand.

bagoh20 કહ્યું...

I always think about the collection of big and small knives we all have in our kitchens. It's incredibly considerate to have those so readily accessible for your murderer near the back door where they first come in the house. It bothered me enough that I at least got rid of the butcher block presentation which seems over the top considerate of someone I hopefully don't even know yet.
A related crazy thing we do is have these knives within easy reach of any children that may around. You would think it crazy to have a gun laying around like that, even if it was unloaded, and a child instinctively knows how to operate a knife, but most probably couldn't find the safety on a handgun or rack the slide. You could go to jail for leaving a gun buried in your sock drawer, but even if you kid stab another with your kitchen knife, nobody would blame you for having it available.

Smilin' Jack કહ્યું...

I have a lightweight battery powered 6” chainsaw. Easy to use with one hand, and makes quick work of pruning trees and cutting up fallen branches in my yard or invaders in my house (though I haven’t had a chance to try that last application yet.) More effective and convenient than a machete for those purposes, but probably not as suitable for slicing fruit.

Michael Fitzgerald કહ્યું...

"bagoh20 said..."
Decades ago, I worked with a black guy who lived in the inner city as it used to be called. He told me that the last thing he did before he went to bed at night was hide the kitchen knives.

Lazarus કહ્યું...

Thank you Son of Althouse, but that is 17 thoughts on "After House" too many for me.

RCOCEAN II કહ્યું...

Thanks to JAC for the brilliant review of "After hours". Well done!

Ann Althouse કહ્યું...

Sorry I had a bad link. Thanks for pointing it out. Fixed.

ટિપ્પણી પોસ્ટ કરો

Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.