11 ઑગસ્ટ, 2026

I invite you to persuade me to go over and vote in the Wisconsin primary today.

Observing myself, I believe I am abstaining. 

Of course, as I've said many times, I'm a big believer in the right to not to vote. It's like the right not to speak. Or the right not to profess any religion.

UPDATE:

IMG_0314 (2)

IMG_0315

140 ટિપ્પણીઓ:

Peachy+2 કહ્યું...

I hope you vote in the general for the Republican.
Because the left want to HARM everyone and it is long past time to put a stop to it.

Peachy+2 કહ્યું...

..and every legal vote counts, too.

Ann Althouse કહ્યું...

"I hope you vote in the general for the Republican."

Even die-hard Republicans aren't doing that. Haven't you heard?

Peachy+2 કહ્યું...

No - I have not heard. So die-hard R's are going to vote for the crazy lady?

boatbuilder કહ્યું...

I don't understand why you are so proud of it. Nobody has decreed that you are required to vote (Not yet, at least not in the US).

You also have the right not to speak. Yet you have published a remarkably loquacious blog for an impressive length of time.

During covid, a local hardware store owner (a fine crotchety guy) put a sign on the door: "Wear a mask; don't wear a mask. Just don't talk about it."

tcrosse કહ્યું...

I firmly assert my God-given right not to vote in Wisconsin elections.

stutefish કહ્યું...

Abstention is a perfectly legitimate use of the right to vote.

stlcdr કહ્યું...

Go out to vote so that you can make astute observations about the current voting process, and the people, to give you some blog fodder (not that you lack any fodder).

D.D. Driver કહ્યું...

Everyone sucks. Stay home or show up and vote for your friends. Democracy is a joke.

Peachy+2 કહ્યું...

lemme guess - the R candidate is imperfect - so vote for the Harmful democrats. bonus - free access to all abortion up until birth. even after is cool, too.

I say vote for the crazy lady. She's fresh and new.

Maynard કહ્યું...

I won’t be voting, but then I no longer live in Wisconsin.

Has that ever stopped anyone before? Asking for a friend.

Saint Croix કહ્યું...

She's signed on to the national DSA platform, which is flat-out Communist and an attack on our Constitution. She wants to wipe away the Senate, subvert our Supreme Court, and the President. In short, she wants to dismantle Article I, Article II, and Article III.

If you love our Constitution, Professor Althouse -- and I know you do -- why would you ignore this Marxist hack?

Confessions of a Democratic Socialist

rhhardin કહ્યું...

The fewer women vote, the better.

RCOCEAN II કહ્યું...

Go vote for Hong. Shake up the system. Stick it to the man. Power to people!

RCOCEAN II કહ્યું...

I love the scaremongers rattling on about "commie" Hong. Why, she'll get rid of the Constitution and then move on to Thanksgiving and Baseball. Our very suvivial is at stake!

rehajm કહ્યું...

I encourage you to stay away. You've caused enough trouble...

tommyesq કહ્યું...

In a place like Madison, there is no "right not to vote." If you don't vote, one will be cast in your name in any event.

Gerda Sprinchorn કહ્યું...
આ ટિપ્પણી લેખક દ્વારા દૂર કરવામાં આવી છે.
rehajm કહ્યું...

I watched the Nick Shirley testimony today. None of the Democrats showed up. I see why...

Joe Bar કહ્યું...

Ann Althouse said...
"Even die-hard Republicans aren't doing that. Haven't you heard?"

I went looking, and Tom Tiffany seems OK. Am I missing something?

Joe Bar કહ્યું...

I voted in the Virginia Republican primary for the first time, this year. I did it only because I knew one of the candidates in school, and he was an outstanding guy then, first in the class. I assume he's still got a pretty good head on his shoulders.

MJ કહ્યું...

I don't care that you are abstaining, but I would like to understand why. From what I can tell from your positions there is clearly one party closer to what you criticize. Is it because the lead is insurmountable and therefore no action matters?

Peachy+2 કહ્યું...

little OT: I forgot.
few weeks ago - I was at Costco. I know - yawn.
Anyway, a tall rack of kids Halloween costumes appeared.
On these racks, up high - for all to see, little kids fire-fighter outfits, and ICE outfits. wait what? what?
Huh? ICE? Really? no way? yes way.
Well, I had to see up close, so what I thought was an ICE costume- was in fact a Police outfit costume. The folded shoulder hid the "POL". So looking at it from the side, it looked like ICE. (cool)
I was delighted to see Police and Fire-fighters represented proudly in the form of kids costumes at Costco.
Well done, Costco. Especially if it rankles white left mommies.

Peachy+2 કહ્યું...

Hong is a working class communist. LOL.

Lem Vibe Bandit કહ્યું...

To Not to vote, or to Si to vote, that is the question.🙋🏽‍♂️

Gotta make a move to a town that's right for me
Town to keep me movin'
Keep me groovin' with some energy

Well, I talk about it, talk about it
Talk about it, talk about it
Talk about, talk about
Talk about movin'

Gotta move on
Gotta move on
Gotta move on

Won't you take me to
Funkytown?
Won't you take me to
Funkytown?
Won't you take me to
Funkytown?
Won't you take me to
Funkytown? 💃

BarrySanders20 કહ્યું...

I went and voted. Got carded by a neighbor who dutifully asked my who I was. No line at all, took about 1 minute total. Ballot lady laughed when I told her I just wanted one ballot this time. We vote at the library and I like the zen so I stuck around and checked out a book. If voting is lemons, make lemonade.

EAB કહ્યું...

I care about down ballot, local candidates, so I voted. Voter #63 in little village at about 10:30 am. I have actively not voted before - as a “protest”. But generally it’s on a particular race, not overall. I will vote in the general. It’s interesting in WI that it’s one combined ballot - not different ballots by party. You choose which party affiliation first and then vote only under that affiliation. The only die-hard Rs I’ve heard voting Dem is not in the general but in the primary.

loudogblog કહ્યું...

Since California, effectively, banned third parties from the final ballots for state offices, I only really care about the ballot initiatives. Some of those can be pretty out there and I feel that my vote is a protest vote against them. (But I know that my vote won't sway the election.)

baghdadbob કહ્યું...

Fear not Professor, it's Wisconsin. Someone will vote in your name.

Eva Marie કહ્યું...

RH has constructed the perfect electoral theory.

Iman કહ્યું...

You already there, Lem!

Leland કહ્યું...

I did my duty to get rid of Cornyn. I can’t and won’t help Wisconsin.

Iman કહ્યું...

I vote for Wisconsin eliminating the title “Governor” and going with “BIG Cheese”. All those in favor…

grimson કહ્યું...

I would be surprised if most of your commenters are sufficiently informed about Wisconsin politics to offer anything of substance to influence your decision.

But I see that Wisconsin primaries are open, which I think is a terrible idea.

Those do not provide any safeguards against people from one party voting for the weakest candidate from the opposing party in a race that will be competitive in November. Open primaries also make it difficult for parties to discern the true intent of their registered voters.

Peachy+2 કહ્યું...

Leland -thank you.
Cornyn - he really showcased his true colors lately.
Bye Cornyn.

Dave Begley કહ્યું...

Vote for the #2 candidate as that's a vote against Hong.

I understand your position on the right not to vote, but if we would have lost the Revolutionary War, WW2 or the Cold War, you wouldn't have the right to vote or not.

Meade કહ્યું...

You have the right to do whatever you want to legally do, including doing whatever your husband of 17 domestically tranquil years tells you to do. Vote for 17 more years of domestic tranquility. You’ll make us both happy.

Lazarus કહ્યું...

You may be Honged, but you don't have to put the noose around your neck yourself.

College is out of session, and the summer students may be transients from elsewhere. Keep an eye on the returns from those precincts. Some people say that the (fake?) returns from them made Joe Biden president in 2020.

Saint Croix કહ્યું...

So there was this creepy school teacher in Kenosha who was grooming one of his students, a 14-year-old, to have sex with her. The police had trouble prosecuting him for a felony, because he didn't touch the child or molest her sexually.

He did, however, exchange over 600 sexualized messages with her on Snapchat. Grooming wasn't illegal in Wisconsin at the time. But everybody was furious at this guy, and he ended up pleading guilty to 14 counts of disorderly conduct (a misdemeanor). And the judge sent him to prison for 15 months.

Because of this case Wisconsin made grooming a felony. The legislature voted 93 to 6 to outlaw this predatory behavior. And one of the 6? Francesca Hong.

n.n કહ્યું...

Religion: moral or ethical (i.e. relative) code ordered by God, gods or goddesses, or mortal derivatives.

The female sex is capable of conceiving diverse creations is a God-like quality. Some consider it an abomination, a "burden" of state, State, thus the adoption of RAAT religious doctrine.

Some people pray, others bray, and some seek to direct this chaotic order.

Quaestor કહ્યું...

One has a right to not vote and a corollary obligation not to despise the result.

MadTownGuy કહ્યું...

grimson said...

"But I see that Wisconsin primaries are open, which I think is a terrible idea.

Those do not provide any safeguards against people from one party voting for the weakest candidate from the opposing party in a race that will be competitive in November. Open primaries also make it difficult for parties to discern the true intent of their registered voters."

Claire McCaskill already did that:
How I helped Todd Akin win - so I could defeat him

R C Belaire કહ્યું...

AA, being indecisive, chooses to be cruelly neutral.

Iman કહ્યું...

This is a public service announcement…

With guitar…

Know your rights
All three of them

Number one
You have the right not to be killed
Murder is a crime
Unless it was done
By a leftwing person
Or a celebrity
Oh, know your rights

And number two
You have the right to other people’s money
Provided of course
You don't mind a little
humiliation, cross-dressing nation
And if you cross your fingers
A quick castration
Know your rights
These are your rights
Hey, say, Hong!

Oh, know these rights
Number three
You have the right to block the streets
As long as
You're not dumb enough to actually try it
Know your rights
These are your rights
Oh, know your rights
These are your rights
All three of 'em
Ha!

Gospace કહ્યું...

𝘭𝘰𝘶𝘥𝘰𝘨𝘣𝘭𝘰𝘨 𝘴𝘢𝘪𝘥...
𝘚𝘪𝘯𝘤𝘦 𝘊𝘢𝘭𝘪𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘯𝘪𝘢, 𝘦𝘧𝘧𝘦𝘤𝘵𝘪𝘷𝘦𝘭𝘺, 𝘣𝘢𝘯𝘯𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘳𝘥 𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘪𝘦𝘴 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘢𝘭 𝘣𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘰𝘵𝘴 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘵𝘦 𝘰𝘧𝘧𝘪𝘤𝘦𝘴,

In much of California, effectively banned 2nd parties. Vote for the Democrat of your choice,

William50 કહ્યું...

The wife and I voted in person absentee last week.

grimson કહ્યું...

MadTownGuy: And Todd Akin did not disappoint her.

David Duffy કહ્યું...

The fewer voters the better. I wish I could persuade everyone not to vote: It’s a waste of time. They are all crooks. No one knows what the hell they are doing. They don’t represent me. They’re all a bunch of lying, racist, homophonic, open-boarders mafia skunks, scoundrels, adulterers, duplicitous, money-grubbing, Jew-hating, KKK Israeli shills. If they haven’t made a billion dollars stealing taxpayer money it’s because they’re too incompetent to rob a liquor store.

I wish it were just Mrs Duffy and I voting in California. That would be nice. To everyone else, don’t waste your time.

Iman કહ્યું...

“Claire McCaskill already did that”

She who was known to leave an oily, odiferous stain wherever she roosted.

Mark કહ્યું...

"Fear not Professor, it's Wisconsin. Someone will vote in your name"

Fear not Professor, it's Wisconsin.
myvote.gov.wi will show your voting history so that in a few days you can verify no one voted using your name.

Chicken Little should calm down

Richard Dolan કહ્યું...

There's a difference between not voting, and voting by submitting a blank ballot. One indicates indifference to the outcome; the other indicates dissatisfaction with unacceptable choices.

mindnumbrobot કહ્યું...

"It's like the right not to speak. Or the right not to profess any religion."

Those are the not same as voting. Of course it's your right to do whatever you want, but you're an informed citizen and choosing not to participate because, meh whatever, is... well, pathetic.

We live in the greatest country in the world and voting is a privilege and honor passed along through the sacrifice of generations before us. The decision not to vote is very difficult to respect.

Dave Begley કહ્યું...

This year is the 250th since we declared our independence.

There were a number of times when we could have lost the Revolutionary War. It was a close run operation. If that fog would not have moved in when the troops were in NY and they couldn't have escaped to NJ, our troops (and Gen. Washington!) could have been wiped out. War over.

ForestwithouttreeS કહ્યું...

With you 100%.

Rocco કહ્યું...

Ann Althouse said...
"Even die-hard Republicans aren't doing that. Haven't you heard?”

Is that the ‘Republicans for Talarico’ ?

Saint Croix કહ્યું...

Morning Joe is screaming about the Woke nominee in Wisconsin.

Bernie won't endorse her.

AOC won't endorse her.

It's pretty obvious she's on the side of protest marchers and mobs taking over the streets of Wisconsin. That might be annoying. The current governor waited a week to clear out the mob. How long will Little Miss Pravda wait?

Riots and mobs, riots and mobs, protest marches and more crime. Sounds like fun.

Saint Croix કહ્યું...

Riots Have Doomed Downtown Portland.

Aggie કહ્યું...

'...Vote for the Democrat of your choice, ...'

Does anybody else remember this short cut: 'Fellow Americans. Election Day is near. Go to the polls, and vote. Vote for the Kennedy of your choice, but Vote !' (Vaughn Meader, The First Family)

Indefinitely Extended Excursion™️ કહ્યું...

Sometimes I almost wish these DSA candidates would win and get the opportunity to implement the full spectrum of their policies in a state. Let voters see the results for themselves.

I’ll be very interested to see how Wisconsin voters respond to Francesca Hong in the primary. It could be a useful test of just how much influence the activist left has over Democratic voters and whether the broader electorate is willing to follow them
there.

Look at the DSA website. The country will not switch capitalism with socialism, ban police, senate, Supreme Court, jails etc. the DSA is a radical organization that hopes you confuse them with the social democrats in Sweden. Social democrats embrace capitalism but they understand it has limits (ie healthcare).

Rustygrommet કહ્યું...

I say that too, Ann. Especially if I forgot or was just too lazy. It makes you look like a responsible adult.

Yinzer કહ્યું...

Ann, don't forget one last right that you have; the right to not complain if the person who wins sucks and you didn't vote!

rehajm કહ્યું...

…full disclosure I’m not voting either. My dwi, cocaine loving, dealing furniture monger has no chance against Lindsey’s sister…

rehajm કહ્યું...

…my Massachusetts area code phone has been jumping with junk today, too. Maybe two dozen callas and texts. Despite media reports the money’s still flowing up there no problem…

Charlie કહ્યું...

You're not voting? But then you won't get one of those cute little stickers that make you look like you just graduated from Kindergarten!

baghdadbob કહ્યું...

Any commentary on how Wisconsin went from Scott Walker to Dems-only so suddenly? Mail-in ballots?

mezzrow કહ્યું...

"Who do you prefer?", asked the party.
She answered with no reply.

rehajm કહ્યું...

…I can’t complain but sometimes I still do…

hanuman_prodigious_leaper કહ્યું...

Abstention is a perfectly legitimate use of the right to vote.
Also
Abstention is a perfectly legitimate abdication of the right of self government

Lem Vibe Bandit કહ્યું...

Voting is so easy a dead ilegal alien could do it.

A live illegal alien would not do it because ICE might nab'm.

Lem Vibe Bandit કહ્યું...

If Althouse votes, she's going to vote for the flummoxed candidate.

Who's the flummoxed candidate?

The winner of a write-in run-off. It could be anybody.

Mr. D કહ્યું...

From my side of the St. Croix, it appears Tom Tiffany is essentially Tommy Thompson redux and Hong is certifiable. So that's fun. Meanwhile, in our Gopher State elections we have an interesting senate primary battle to replace the mousy Tina "Planned Parenthood" Smith, who is retiring because why not. The endorsed candidate is Lt. Governor Peggy "Southside Flan" Flanagan, who is rumored to have been involved in the ICE protest networks and is DSA without the obvious trappings, battling it out against Rep. Angie Craig, who has represented a suburban district without distinction for the better part of the decade. Before she entered politics, Craig was a human resources VP for one of the MedTech companies in the area and her mien is an amalgam of Nurse Ratched and Ann Richards without the one-liners. It's been a donnybrook with a lot of ad money flowing into the state and the two donks have bloodied each other pretty well. Whoever emerges will likely face Michele Tafoya, the former NBC sideline reporter, who has fine communication skills and somewhat obscure political views. Tafoya has a decent shot in the general because Flanagan and Craig are not pleasant people.

The governor's race will feature "Our Amy" Klobuchar, who is kinda phoning it in, likely against Lisa Demuth, the MN House Speaker, who did a decent job playing a weak hand in the legislature. Demuth's rivals are Kendall Qualls, who seems like a good guy but hasn't made much of an impression, and My Pillow Guy Mike Lindell, who did get Trump's endorsement, although that's not as valuable here as it might have been elsewhere.

rehajm કહ્યું...

“It's been a donnybrook with a lot of ad money”

…‘donnybrook’ smells suspiciously Canadian🧐…

Dust Bunny Queen કહ્યું...

It is anyone's right not to vote. However, if you don't vote....don't participate ...you don't have the right to complain about the outcome. Skin in the game or shut up.

John henry કહ્યું...

I disagree with abstaining and would never do it if I am in Puerto Rico on election day. We have very limited absentee and early voting.

I usually just vote against incumbents of any party. Depending on how I am feeling that particular election day, I sometimes just mark a big X across the ballot, spoiling it so it doesn't count for anyone.

When you sit home it doesn't say "none of the above" it just says "Whatever. I don't care."

OTOH, I almost never vote in primaries. These are organized by parties, not the state and the winner is whoever the party has foreordained. Our general elections are uncheatable. Our primaries? A cesspit.

John Henry

Milo Minderbinder કહ્યું...

You're setting an example for all illegally in this country, and we're proud of you....

Breezy કહ્યું...

Why not vote? Are you afraid of something?

DSA, aka communistic cabal, wants to remove all of our options, our ability to choose. Best to make any choices - coffee, vehicle, housing, travel, representative, etc etc - while we still can.

Deep State Reformer કહ્યું...

Well, professor being from a now purple, but increasingly blue swing state it is probably just as well to abstain bc you can't hold back the trend anyhow. I fully expect Wisconsin to go the way of Minnesota in just a few more years and the increasingly dominant Democratic party there is just cooked imho. Your primary "choice" is going to be a woke liberal Dem, a Milwaukee machine Dem, an ethnic race hustler Dem, or a DSA Dem nutcake. Some choice.

D.D. Driver કહ્યું...

It is anyone's right not to vote. However, if you don't vote....don't participate ...you don't have the right to complain about the outcome.

Bullshit.

D.D. Driver કહ્યું...

I did my duty to get rid of Cornyn.

You voted for Paxton? Isn't he trailing to Talefreako?

Great job!

Leland કહ્યું...

“Isn't he trailing to Talefreako?”

If you believe the pre-election polls, which you probably do. Beto was leading against Abbott and Cruz, only to lose big on Election Day.

D.D. Driver કહ્યું...
આ ટિપ્પણી લેખક દ્વારા દૂર કરવામાં આવી છે.
Known Unknown કહ્યું...

" I assume he's still got a pretty good head on his shoulders."

Terrible assumption as he is running for political office.

D.D. Driver કહ્યું...

Any commentary on how Wisconsin went from Scott Walker to Dems-only so suddenly? Mail-in ballots?

Foxconn

That's how Walker lost my vote. I voted for him three times before that.

Smilin' Jack કહ્યું...

“It is anyone's right not to vote. However, if you don't vote....don't participate ...you don't have the right to complain about the outcome. Skin in the game or shut up.”

It’s the opposite. The outcome is produced by the jerks who vote. The rest of us have a perfect right to complain about what they did to us.

Smilin' Jack કહ્યું...

“Observing myself, I believe I am abstaining.”

But just imagine how terrible you’ll feel if someone wins by one vote! Happens all the time!

Paul કહ્યું...

You can vote or not Ann... but what government you get... shit it's your government and not mine so don't cry over it... ever.

BarrySanders20 કહ્યું...

No worries, DD: The Foxconn site is generating enormous economic return, just not from Foxconn. Per Grok: In 2024, Microsoft announced a $3.3 billion AI data center project on the site of the scaled-back/failed Foxconn LCD manufacturing campus.
Construction progressed, with the first facility (part of Microsoft’s “Fairwater” AI cluster, involving large-scale GPU infrastructure) becoming operational by June 2026.
Further expansions have been approved, including plans for many additional data center buildings (e.g., 15 more reported in early 2026 approvals), on land previously tied to Foxconn.

BG કહ્યું...

(Pretend italics) grimson said...But I see that Wisconsin primaries are open, which I think is a terrible idea.

Those do not provide any safeguards against people from one party voting for the weakest candidate from the opposing party in a race that will be competitive in November. Open primaries also make it difficult for parties to discern the true intent of their registered voters. (End pretend italics)

The Wisconsin open primaries back in the "old days" were probably on the up-and-up. But I am now against them, as I personally believe that Democrats helped elect Kelly instead of Protasiewicz in the 2022 Supreme Court primary election. I felt she would have had a better chance. Okay, I personally felt Kelly was a loser from the start.

As far as voting today, my hubby abstained and I did vote. But was ONLY because I was right in the neighborhood. I wouldn't have made any extra effort otherwise.

BG કહ્યું...

Meade -
Seventeen years already?? Congratulations on maintaining domestic tranquility!

tcrosse કહ્યું...

One of the many things I don't miss about the Twin Cities is all the Wisconsin political ads. At times they outnumbered the Minnesota political ads, which were bothersome enough.

Leora કહ્યું...

I'd go vote for Crowley against Hong. I don't think the polls mean very much and Hong is not sane. YMMV.

Lazarus કહ્યું...

Abdul El-Sayed is Mamdani Unchained. The smiling mask is off and there's a lot of anger and bitterness underneath. From what I've seen Francesca Hong seems like a defective copy of AOC. She's got a similar little girl voice but much more of a little girl mind. There's a similar vagueness on the surface but not much underneath it. Like El-Sayed, she hasn't mastered the art of creating appearances.

Mason G કહ્યું...

"But I see that Wisconsin primaries are open, which I think is a terrible idea."

Open primaries are bullshit. If you want a voice in choosing a party's candidate for the general election, join the party.

Dust Bunny Queen કહ્યું...

@ Smilin Jack "The outcome is produced by the jerks who vote. The rest of us have a perfect right to complain about what they did to us."

You might complain about anything...sure your right. I won't listen or engage with you in conversation about it if you had desire to even try to cast a token vote.

It as if like...you show up at a pot luck but refuse to bring anything and then spend the rest of the time bitching and throwing a fit about the quality and type of the food. Well...you did nothing, so you don't deserve to have me to take my time complaining about it. Skin in the game or shut up.

Dust Bunny Queen કહ્યું...

Oh and if you don't like any of the candidates....do what I do....write in Zaphod Beeblebrox. After all he was the "Worst Dressed Sentient Being in the Known Universe". There I voted.!!

Butkus51 કહ્યું...

The list of states to avoid is getting too big.

gilbar કહ્યું...

hmm obeying the guidelines..
Professor, i'm trying to persaude you to vote in the primary..

Now, assuming that Hong wins the Dem nomination..
What Happens to Wisconsin then?
does Hong become Gov? does Wisco get a republicam Gov?
does the Entire State go up in smoke and ash?

Clyde કહ્યું...

"If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice."
-- Rush

wsw કહ્યું...

Hong jury

Original Mike કહ્યું...

"[Open primaries] do not provide any safeguards against people from one party voting for the weakest candidate from the opposing party in a race that will be competitive in November."

So what? 'Parties' do not appear in the Constitution.

Open primaries allow independents to vote. Why should we be excluded?

boatbuilder કહ્યું...

"It's your prerogative to be wrong" is the catchphrase of a Boston sports radio commenter.
I've borrowed it many times, and it applies here.

Shouting Thomas કહ્યું...

I’m in the tiny minority of people who think that the importance of voting is vastly overrated.

boatbuilder કહ્યું...

So, Meade, you're the guy who inspired those obnoxious Dem ads in 2024 with the wifey secretly voting Dem while the big bad hubby thinks he's guiding her to vote Republican? That's the way it works, right?

Peachy+2 કહ્યું...

Hasan Piker is worth 8 million dollars.
Makes 2-3 million a year.

He is from a wealthy family.
Hasan Piker has NOT apologized for saying we deserved 9/11.
He only doubled down.
Hasan wants death to landlords who don't live on the property they own. Piker said he wants them killed with "their capitalist blood to run red in the streets"

Aggie કહ્યું...

So...... you didn't vote, but you traveled all the way to the polling place to take pictures. *side-eye*

Rosalyn C. કહ્યું...

I feel voting is important as a statement of faith in the democratic process, it's my patriotic duty. I think I have a responsibility to participate in the voting process because I live in this society and voting connects us as the American people. This probably makes me incredibly old fashioned.

In actual fact my votes rarely, if ever, make any difference because I am a tiny minority, a conservatively minded person in an overwhelmingly liberal Sanderesque level woke area.
But I think it's important to note in that public way that there are people here with different points of view. The fact that the vote is secret means I don't have to announce this.
Over the long run this tiny minority has grown. Perhaps it is not yet able to overturn the one party system the Democrats have manufactured here, but maybe someday.

boatbuilder કહ્યું...

""[Open primaries] do not provide any safeguards against people from one party voting for the weakest candidate from the opposing party in a race that will be competitive in November."

So what? 'Parties' do not appear in the Constitution.

Open primaries allow independents to vote. Why should we be excluded?"

"Primaries" also do not appear in the Constitution. "Independents" have chosen not to belong to any party. Hence they should be excluded from the party's state-authorized method of choosing which candidate will represent that party in the general election. That is particularly true if the intention of the non-party primary voter is to frustrate the will of the majority of the party voters. If the "independents" want to have their own primary, have at it.

Dunham કહ્યું...

If I was conservative, I would be so frustrated that Tom Tiffany is the frontrunner. He has an abysmal voting record, and Wisconsinites are sick of the double standard calling any policies for working families "extreme or radical".

Original Mike કહ્યું...

"If the "independents" want to have their own primary, have at it."

There is a legitimate reason for open primaries; one of those people is going to be my governor, and if the state is running the primary I have a right to a voice.

If the parties want to exclude voters, they can run their own, private elections. Seriously, they can, and if they did I would support their right to exclude voters. But until they do, they've got no right barring people from voting.

Original Mike કહ્યું...

"Wisconsinites are sick of the double standard calling any policies for working families "extreme or radical"."

For example?

wildswan કહ્યું...

Well, I don't know why Althouse is thinking of not voting nor do I know which party's primary she might not vote in. So it's like playing Submarine, you shoot over a wall at an unseen target.

So dropping that I ask why I might not vote in Madison. In Madison the Dem will win and in 2026 the farthest to the left is far ahead. The Republican candidate is also decided. I being a Republican might decide not to waste my time. But then I might think that votes are scanned for their demographic indications so they have Second Life beyond the election as the Parties try to interpret the demography of the vote.
Now going back to Althouse - well, Althouse is usually spot on in terms of how the vote goes. So if she is voting "I am not interested in voting. Nobody has persuaded me yet to be interested" - well, perhaps, the real take on the Wisconsin vote is that the voters don't care. Why don't they care? Nobody is persuading? Parties are just deploying slogans which are planned to command and terrify, but not to persuade? Persuasion in elections is a lost art?
In summary,
The Persuasion.
Consider the possibility that Trump is the good guy. Go out and vote in the Republican primary. The Dems need to be shaken up anyhow. Show them they are losing suburban women with their antisemtism. Think of your boys.

Michael Fitzgerald કહ્યું...

Uh oh, Hongo!

boatbuilder કહ્યું...

"Working families." C'mon.
How stupid do you think we are?

Smilin' Jack કહ્યું...

“Observing myself, I believe I am abstaining.”

Observing your photos, I believe you voted for Kev Pov Npav. He does sound like just what Wisconsin needs.

Original Mike કહ્યું...

I'd like to know more about Tiffany's "abysmal voting record".
Really, I would. No need to be exhaustive; just hit the highlights.

Jersey Fled કહ્યું...

I haven’t voted in a primary election since my brother in law ran for County Commissioner 20 years ago.

RCOCEAN II કહ્યું...

It is stupid to have open primaries. Why let a bunch of people who will vote for the oppostion in the General election select your candidate? And most independents are that way because they're too stupid or lazy to follow politics and they vote for the dumbest reasons.

Indefinitely Extended Excursion™️ કહ્યું...

Wisconsin is a bit of a political unicorn. At the federal level it is represented by a right-winger Republican Ron Johnson and a very progressive, left-of-center Democrat Tammy Baldwin. In the past it has been represented by a die-hard clean government progressive like Russ Feingold, and also by a historical mess like right-winger Joseph McCarthy.

The state went narrowly for Trump twice, and Biden once. It also delivered a political victory to Obama in 2008 and a fairly safe re-election margin in 2012. The 2012 Obama win was just two years removed from a Republican mid-term landslide that brought Governor Scott Walker to power

Everything hinges on who shows up and which side is most motivated.

The fact that Bernie Sanders and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez have both declined to endorse Francesca Hong is notable, too. This is a genuinely critical swing state, and if Hong wins both the primary and the general election, she will still face significant constraints from the Republican-controlled Legislature, the courts and federal law. But if she can win the general election—a very big if—it would be a significant moment in American politics.

I’m somewhat surprised the Wisconsin Democratic establishment wasn’t able to produce a more clearly center-left, lower-risk candidate for this race. Then again, Tony Evers has never exactly been known as a particularly deft political operator.

Jim at કહ્યું...

*If I was conservative, I would be so frustrated that Tom Tiffany is the frontrunner. He has an abysmal voting record...*

Gee. A leftist who thinks a conservative has an abysmal voting record.

Thanks for the endorsement.

Political Junkie કહ્યું...

I think the Hostess should vote Asian.

Original Mike કહ્યું...

Do "working families" love the depression of wages that comes with massive, illegal immigration?

Ampersand કહ્યું...

As a sane Los Angeles voter, I am part of a minority entitled to high intersectional status. I find both mayoral candidates execrable. I plan to vote for the less bad.

Gospace કહ્યું...

𝘈𝘨𝘨𝘪𝘦 𝘴𝘢𝘪𝘥...
'...𝘝𝘰𝘵𝘦 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘋𝘦𝘮𝘰𝘤𝘳𝘢𝘵 𝘰𝘧 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘤𝘩𝘰𝘪𝘤𝘦, ...'

𝘋𝘰𝘦𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘺𝘣𝘰𝘥𝘺 𝘦𝘭𝘴𝘦 𝘳𝘦𝘮𝘦𝘮𝘣𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘳𝘵 𝘤𝘶𝘵: '𝘍𝘦𝘭𝘭𝘰𝘸 𝘈𝘮𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘤𝘢𝘯𝘴. 𝘌𝘭𝘦𝘤𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘋𝘢𝘺 𝘪𝘴 𝘯𝘦𝘢𝘳. 𝘎𝘰 𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘰𝘭𝘭𝘴, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘷𝘰𝘵𝘦. 𝘝𝘰𝘵𝘦 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘒𝘦𝘯𝘯𝘦𝘥𝘺 𝘰𝘧 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘤𝘩𝘰𝘪𝘤𝘦, 𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘝𝘰𝘵𝘦 !' (𝘝𝘢𝘶𝘨𝘩𝘯 𝘔𝘦𝘢𝘥𝘦𝘳, 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘍𝘪𝘳𝘴𝘵 𝘍𝘢𝘮𝘪𝘭𝘺)

Political humor has an expiration date. My father bought and played that album often. I'm 71. I'm willing to bet most people under 50 have never played the album or heard any excerpts from it.

Contemporary humor also has an expiration date. About that time Allan Sherman was also very popular. We had ALL of his albums in the house. Most under 50 have likely heard 𝘏𝘦𝘭𝘭𝘰 𝘔𝘶𝘥𝘥𝘢𝘩, 𝘏𝘦𝘭𝘭𝘰 𝘍𝘢𝘥𝘥𝘶𝘩 (𝘈 𝘓𝘦𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘊𝘢𝘮𝘱) (link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yFTOvO0utY) and possibly one of his other songs. I had to explain many of teh terms in 𝘏𝘢𝘳𝘷𝘦𝘺 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘚𝘩𝘦𝘪𝘭𝘢 to my 28 year old just the other day so he would understand it. He did find 𝘠𝘰𝘶 𝘞𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘞𝘳𝘰𝘯𝘨 𝘞𝘢𝘺, 𝘖𝘭𝘥 𝘒𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘓𝘰𝘶𝘪𝘦 humorous without any additional explanation. But- when was the last time you heard that on the radio? Or- media of your choice?

Peachy+2 કહ્યું...

It's like When AOC calls the "right" fascist and totalitarian- but cannot name why or what.

Peachy+2 કહ્યું...

Here's Hong - a ding dong

Big Mike કહ્યું...

With 27% reporting, including Dane County, Crowley leads.

Aggie કહ્યું...

The internet is amazing.

Aggie કહ્યું...

Crowley and Hong, neck in neck.

Saint Croix કહ્યું...

Glad you voted AA!

Too close to call for the Democrats. Crowley is up by a couple of thousand votes. Nail biter. Every vote counts.

Aggie કહ્યું...

Which Democratic candidate for Wisconsin Governor is going to 'find' more votes? The Machine, or the Commie? My bet is on the machine, on this one. It might take a while, but they've had a couple of weeks to prepare ballots for the future 'harvest'. After all, it is an 'ag' state.

Original Mike કહ્યું...

Well, we know one thing. The pollsters shat the bed again.

Mr. T. કહ્યું...
આ ટિપ્પણી લેખક દ્વારા દૂર કરવામાં આવી છે.
Gospace કહ્યું...

So I wasn't paying attention to polling. Which Dem was supposed to run away with the vote?

Original Mike કહ્યું...

Hong.

Gospace કહ્યું...

So the winner is going to be determined by who counts the votes, not who got the most votes. Got it.

Clyde કહ્યું...

Cartoon meme I just spotted:

The cockroach, out of hatred for the ant, voted for the insecticide.

They all died, including the cricket who voted blank and the fly who did not go to vote.

Aggie કહ્યું...

Newsflash: Reports have it that AOC, the egg-freezer, has broken up with her fiance of many years, Riley Roberts. Hmmmm. Elon Musk on 'will-call', maybe ? That way, at least the kid has a chance to be average smarts.

Mr. T. કહ્યું...

KKKak/Richsockpuppet/paidActbluetroll/Mainekamprapeexcursion(TM) said:

"In the past it has been represented by a die-hard clean government progressive like Russ Feingold"

Russ Feingold as "clean government?"

Tell us you know absolutely nothing about Wisconsin without telling us you know absolutely nothing about Wisconsin...

Saint Croix કહ્યું...

Interesting that the polls are over-estimating Socialist fever. The polls were way off in Michigan. And off again in Wisconsin.

And these errors always seem to roll in one direction.

Aggie કહ્યું...

85% of the vote in:
David Crowley DEM 268,953 39.9%
Francesca Hong DEM 268,419 39.8%

ટિપ્પણી પોસ્ટ કરો

Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.