2. "UN rips ‘deeply troubling’ Iran for executing at least 56 people since start of war: ‘Has no place in our world'" — published today in The New York Post. "Several people were executed in the last two weeks alone, including a 19-year-old charged with 'enmity against god' for allegedly partaking in January’s protests. Two others arrested during the protests were also executed. And in July, two people were executed out of a group of 12 convicted of 'corruption on Earth' and 'enmity against God' over connections to four police killed in January."
3. "Ken Jennings Says He Cares 'More Deeply' About Trans Rights Than Any Other Issue" (Them, August 3, 2026). "Ken Jennings... recently got into a relatively minor back-and-forth on Bluesky with people who claimed his subscriptions to the New York Times were supporting an anti-transgender media organization.... Would I subscribe to the New York Times? No. Would I unfriend someone who did? Not necessarily.... Do I do the crossword puzzle? Yes, because nothing else quiets the anxiety I feel about living in our current reality quite like trying to find a five-letter word for boredom. Ah, 'ennui,' my old friend."
3. "Ken Jennings Says He Cares 'More Deeply' About Trans Rights Than Any Other Issue" (Them, August 3, 2026). "Ken Jennings... recently got into a relatively minor back-and-forth on Bluesky with people who claimed his subscriptions to the New York Times were supporting an anti-transgender media organization.... Would I subscribe to the New York Times? No. Would I unfriend someone who did? Not necessarily.... Do I do the crossword puzzle? Yes, because nothing else quiets the anxiety I feel about living in our current reality quite like trying to find a five-letter word for boredom. Ah, 'ennui,' my old friend."
5. "Neil Shubin on Trusted Science in a ‘Deeply Partisan Age’/An eminent fossil hunter takes the reins at the National Academy of Sciences in a turbulent moment for American researchers" (NYT, June 2026). "As an institution, we are — by charter and design and history — nonpartisan. But we are in a deeply partisan age. Just by doing our work, we will be viewed in a partisan light no matter what. So our job is to double down on the science. We need to be a trusted source of data."
7. "The Deeply Human, Complexly Queer Animated Animals of 'Bouchra'" (autostraddle, August 3, 2026). "In Meriem Bennani and Orian Barki’s bold film Bouchra, an NYC‑based lesbian filmmaker... tries to process her relationship with her Moroccan mother through a semi‑autobiographical meta‑fictional drama stemming from a coming‑out letter she sent nine years prior.... It’s told via anthropomorphic animals in a hyperrealized backdrop.... [E]ntirely animated in Blender, Bouchra’s experimental animal‑filled approach takes some getting used to."

41 टिप्पणियां:
Those invocations of "deeply" are profoundly shallow.
It's hard to tell from a distance when someone is drowning.
Deep River (Remastered) - Paul Robeson
Nothing is more superficial than claims of depth. True depth involves bone crushing pressure and intolerable heat.
"Truly, Madly, Deeply"
--- Savage Garden
Fierce Is another classic grade inflation word deployed by weak progressives.
"Fiercely" heterosexual Corey Booker
That’s some deep excrement, man!
Yeah. That song. Truly, Madly, Deeply.
I think it's cute how people who take themselves deeply seriously think that Donald Trump somehow has the capability of being or feeling embarrassed.
Ann Althouse- Agree with your assessment of the vapid use of "deeply"
Garnering "deeply" citations? I literally agree 110%.
Atlantic (D) - Mind Reading Powers - Deeply.
The Left, and their media operatives, are deeply fucked.
Bigly deeply.
"Truly. Madly. Deeply." Was also a movie. Sort of a British remake of "Ghost."
They say "deeply" because saying "profoundly" is a sign that one is trying to impress and probably lying.
"Ken Jennings... recently got into a relatively minor back-and-forth on Bluesky with people who claimed his subscriptions to the New York Times were supporting an anti-transgender media organization"
Subscriptions? Or contributions?
It's a bad time for magazines but "them" is a great title for a magazine, sort of like "The East Village Other."
Another important word is in your first example: Humiliation. This exact word is being constantly used in the form of, “Trump is humiliated that X is going wrong.” Many times on things that even if true, would not be called humiliating. It is rampant on Reddit. I believe the use of this word is evidence of AI use in writing political-pulp aimed at the President. One use feeds the next in the AI ouroboros. It effectively signals an article not fully written (if really at all) by a human. It’s like a tick. That, or a secret memo went out telling everyone to use the word when talking about Trump.
""As an institution, we are — by charter and design and history — nonpartisan. (Ha! ed.) But we are in a deeply partisan age. Just by doing our work, we will be viewed in a partisan light no matter what. So our job is to double down on the science. We need to be a trusted source of data.""
You guys already blew that and it's your own fault. Trouble is, you're too dumb to even know it.
Althouse blogs about deeply (the word!) and fails to use the tag. BTW. Only someone who cares deeply for this blog would notice. ;-)
"Truly, Madly, Deeply"
I hated that movie. I had to stop watching after around 45 minutes because I couldn't stand that woman's constant moping. I wanted to say, "Just shoot yourself already, get it over with." I don't know how it ended.
Maybe there's an unwritten rule against using a tag in back to back posts. Deeply mysterious unwritten rules.
Only if he doesn't learn and adapt.
Trans (e.g. homos) have rights under political congruence (e.g. couplet "=" couple). Homos socially distancing from sims is a phobic reaction garnered through Diversity, Equity and Inclusion under the Pro-Choice religion.
“ Althouse blogs about deeply (the word!) and fails to use the tag. BTW. Only someone who cares deeply for this blog would notice. ;-)”
Thanks!
Added.
If one follows a couple links, one gets to an October 2012 Althouse post to wining this howler:
“[Obama] couldn't have assumed that those called to testify in congressional hearings would commit perjury.”
Cynical me, fourteen years ago I knew that Obama, could and did assume that every member of his administration would dutifully sing from the same hymnal, and he was right to make that assumption. Hopefully Althouse has educated herself about Democrat politicians in the interim.
PS: I agree with those upthread who understand that the Atlantic has no more idea about what’s going on inside the Trump administration — much less in Trump’s mind! — than I understand how to fly a modern jet fighter.
"Deeply" = sanctimonious virtue signaling
Writers out of their depth
“So our job is to double down on the science. We need to be a trusted source of data." If you want to be trusted, speak of doubling down on facts, not science. It’s post Fauci and half your audience can’t say what a woman is, nor do they know when life begins.
"Deeply" is a fancier version of "very," and should be pruned accordingly ruthlessly.
A burden is a burden is a "burden". Planned Personhood (PP) exercises liberal license to a progressive solution is forward-looking.
""Ken Jennings... recently got into a relatively minor back-and-forth on Bluesky with people who claimed his subscriptions to the New York Times were supporting an anti-transgender media organization.... "
Wait. The New York Times is "an anti-transgender media organization?"
What color is the sky over there on Bluesky?
Madison's mayor was deeply concerned about aspects of the Willy/Baldwin blockade this week.
How many Palestinians has Israel executed under apartheid laws that only apply to Arabs? It’s amazing to me that people are so willing to accept contradictory information, and file each one in a different bin so that the contradictions can be easily ignored.
Mossad brags about its agent network in Iran, but rest assured Iran only executes innocent people and Israel only executes guilty ones.
Why they chose that snarly, little, piece of shit leftist, Ken Jennings, to replace Alex Trebek still boggles my mind.
I mean, it's not like they didn't know. He scrubbed hundreds of vicious, nasty posts from his Twitter feed while he was auditioning, but it wasn't any secret. The guy is nothing more than Keith Olbermann who can answer mundane trivia questions.
Haven't watched a second of Jeopardy since.
I note that Jaq is here claiming anyone cares about the Gazans "finding out" that few people in America cares what happens to a people who danced and celebrated as 9-11 happened. They can enjoy eating a thousand shells.
In the abstract I care about Gazans as people. I wish they would repent, throw off militant Islam, convert to Christianity, and be saved.
But until that blessed day happens (and it will take Jesus Himself to do that) then no, I don't care about them getting their just rewards.
So sorry Jaq / RC and the rest of the "I hate Jooos so I love Palestine!" people: no sale. When they decide to be decent humans, then come back to plead for compassion on their behalf. They don't deserve it right now.
Also: I don't know what happened in that apartment. But Ken Jennings and Brandon Sanderson were both roommates at college, and both have turned into trans loving freaks. And both went to BYU, so I have no idea what happened to both of them. BYU is not, generally speaking, a place where trans activism is encouraged.
“Jaq said...
How many Palestinians has Israel executed under apartheid laws that only apply to Arabs?”
That would be zero. Only two people have been executed by Israel since its founding. One was a Jew and the other — famously — was Adolph Eichmann.
IMO this is a mistake because it inspires Muslim terrorists to engage in acts of terror so that they can swap hostages for terrorist prisoners that should probably have been executed because of the heinousness of their crimes.
People who want to make their communications more meaningful use intensifiers like deeply, very, or really, or vulgarities like shit and fucking because they feel that, without intensifiers or vulgarity, their emotional reactions and observations will seem understated and more easily ignored.
Madison's mayor can shove his concerns up his ass, deeply.
You missed a big one: '...I have tried to continue because I believe deeply in the values of higher education, in rigorous scholarship, and in the transformative power of universities. I have tried because of my students, my colleagues and the countless people who have written to tell me that my journey gave them hope.....' Former Cambridge professor, environmental activist, cultural ambassador and social activist volunteer, marathon runner, author, etc etc etc Jason Arday
Everything is deeply contentious now.
"Ken Jennings Says He Cares 'More Deeply' About Trans Rights Than Any Other Issue"
I miss Alex.
एक टिप्पणी भेजें
Please use the comments forum to respond to the post. Don't fight with each other. Be substantive... or interesting... or funny. Comments should go up immediately... unless you're commenting on a post older than 4 days. Then you have to wait for us to moderate you through. It's also possible to get shunted into spam by the machine. We try to keep an eye on that and release the miscaught good stuff. We do delete some comments, but not for viewpoint... for bad faith. Also: No italics, even briefly. Use asterisks for emphasis. And don't play with the format by changing fonts or using boldface or all caps. Never include more than one extra line break between paragraphs.